Barcelona still have a squad capable of challenging – Zidane

By Sports Desk September 25, 2020

Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane believes Barcelona have a squad that is capable of "fighting for everything".

After a trophy-less 2019-20 season, Ronald Koeman is rebuilding the Blaugrana, who have seen the likes of Luis Suarez, Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic, Arthur and Nelson Semedo leave.

Philippe Coutinho has returned from his loan spell at Bayern Munich and Miralem Pjanic joined from Juventus, while Lionel Messi ended up staying after requesting a move.

Zidane, whose Madrid visit Real Betis on Saturday, said Barca were strong enough to again be challenging for titles.

"I will be respectful. Besides, I don't know what's going on inside, that's why I don't want to get involved," the Madrid coach told a news conference.

"I think each club has their own issues and difficulties. I think Barcelona, in terms of the team and the squad, is a club who will be fighting for everything.

"I don't have any doubt."

Madrid have also seen some changes to their squad, most notably the departures of Gareth Bale (on loan to Tottenham) and James Rodriguez (Everton).

Bale's relationship with Zidane reportedly deteriorated in recent months, although the Welshman told Sky Sports on Friday he had "no regrets".

Asked if he had anything to say about Bale, Zidane said: "I'm not going to speak about what Gareth said.

"Against, what I will say is that we wish him the best for the future and we are focused on ourselves now. That's all."

Related items

  • Liverpool on track for worst defence ever as Grealish follows in foul footsteps – the Premier League weekend's quirky facts Liverpool on track for worst defence ever as Grealish follows in foul footsteps – the Premier League weekend's quirky facts

    Another spectacular weekend in the Premier League always looked likely after Liverpool's thriller at Everton, and we weren't disappointed.

    The champions lost Virgil van Dijk to injury and a winning goal to a Sadio Mane offside so marginal it seems VAR has now started dealing with measurements on the Planck scale.

    Gareth Bale's return to action for Tottenham was warmly welcomed (mostly by jubilant West Ham fans) as a Jose Mourinho team once more produced a goal-fest, a sure sign that 2020 is truly losing its marbles.

    Thankfully, we were also given a healthy dose of normality. Arsenal lost to Manchester City for the seventh time in a row, Jack Grealish was fouled so much you have to wonder if his tiny shin pads are shouting insults at every opponent, and Crystal Palace did their utmost to get a result against Brighton and Hove Albion without actually shooting.

    Here are some of the more unusual takeaways from the past few days...

     

    WHERE EAGLES (DON'T) DARE

    Brighton out-shot Palace by 19 in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park, but it wasn't until the 90th minute through Alexis Mac Allister that they finally scored.

    Palace had been leading 1-0 since the 19th minute, when Wilfried Zaha converted a penalty won by Michy Batshuayi. Remarkably, that was their only shot in the entire match; since Opta began collecting such data back in 2003-04, no other team has gone through a whole Premier League game in which their solitary attempt was from the spot.

    Swansea City hold the Premier League record (at least since 2003-04) when it comes to the lowest number of shots for an entire season: they managed 339 in 2017-18. Palace, who have had 32 in their five games this term, might just have something to aim for – if aiming were their strong suit, anyway.

    IT'S GUNNER CHANGE ONE DAY

    Some degree of normality was restored at the Etihad Stadium, where Arsenal, who seem to love losing to Manchester City, lost to Manchester City.

    Raheem Sterling's goal gave the hosts a seventh win in a row in the league over the Gunners, who last lost as many in succession against the same opponent at the hands of Ipswich Town between 1974 and 1977. If they lose the return fixture, they'll equal a club record of eight consecutive top-flight defeats to the same team, having last done so to Leeds United from 1972 to 1976.

    The worst such run in England's top tier belongs to West Brom: they were beaten 15 times in a row by Chelsea from 1984 to 2011 before Gareth McAuley gave them a 1-0 win in March 2012.

     

    JACK'S HACKS

    Grealish might be struggling to win over England boss Gareth Southgate, but his opponents certainly seem to view him as a force to be reckoned with.

    In Aston Villa's 1-0 win at Leicester City, Grealish won five fouls – nobody was fouled more often – to take his tally to 182 since the start of last season. Unsurprisingly, that's the highest number in the division.

    According to Opta data, the most-fouled player in the Premier League since 2003-04 is former Bolton Wanderers striker Kevin Davies, who won 727 free-kicks. Grealish has some way to go before he can reckon with that figure, but at least he has double the number of England caps as Davies, who got one back in October 2010.

    RED-FACED REDS

    Conceding twice to Everton did more than sting Liverpool's local pride – it also took them to 13 goals conceded in five league games this season, the same number they let in after 15 matches in 2019-20. In fact, it's the most they have ever conceded in the first five league games of a season since shipping 13 back in 1953, when Winston Churchill was still prime minister of the United Kingdom.

    If their average of 2.6 goals against per game continues, they will end the season having conceded at least 98 times. That would set a new club record in terms of their worst defensive displays across a campaign, surpassing the 97 goals they let in back in, you guessed it, 1953-54. How they would have hoped for better news on Virgil van Dijk's injury.

    It could be worse, though: Manchester United conceded a quite spectacular 26 goals in the first five games of 1930-31, which remains a record in England's top flight. Churchill wasn't even in the government at the time.

     

    UNBELIEVABALE

    Spurs were cruising to a 3-0 victory when Bale came on against West Ham for his first appearance for the club in 2,707 days. What a moment for the fans watching at home.

    Of course, it was the West Ham faithful who will have been jumping for joy in their living rooms by the end of the game, with Fabian Balbuena, a Davinson Sanchez own goal and an utterly magical hit from Manuel Lanzini snatching the most dramatic of 3-3 draws. Bale had earlier missed a great chance to make it 4-2, for good measure.

    Still, welcoming back Bale after more than seven years will have been a special moment, although it doesn't quite match Wayne Rooney's Premier League record. His first appearance after rejoining Everton in 2017 came 4,837 days after his first in 2002, and he marked it by scoring the winner against Stoke City.

  • Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern

    Diego Costa is set to miss Atletico Madrid's Champions League opener against Bayern Munich after suffering a left thigh injury. 

    Atleti striker Costa partnered Luis Suarez in attack against Celta Vigo in LaLiga on Saturday but had to be substituted in the 50th minute of the 2-0 victory at the Balaidos. 

    The 32-year-old, whose only goal this season was in the 6-1 win over Granada in September, is not expected to feature in the trip to Champions League holders Bayern on Wednesday, though no time frame for his recovery was provided. 

    A statement published on Atleti's website on Monday read: "Diego Costa underwent tests at the Clinica Universidad de Navarra that confirmed he has suffered a muscle injury in the left thigh. The striker is pending response to treatment."  

    Costa managed just one shot on goal during his time on the pitch against Celta but boss Diego Simeone was impressed with his link-up play with Suarez, who reached 150 LaLiga goals with an early strike.  

    "I liked the mix of the two. The characteristics of the two allow them to play together," he said. 

    "They give us strength in attack, and presence and personality in the penalty area. It's one of the options the team has." 

  • Neto thrilled to see Coutinho thrive and backs Griezmann to come good for Barcelona Neto thrilled to see Coutinho thrive and backs Griezmann to come good for Barcelona

    Philippe Coutinho's Champions League triumph with Bayern Munich can be a boost for Barcelona and Antoine Griezmann will find his best form, says Los Cules goalkeeper Neto.

    Brazil playmaker Coutinho spent last term on loan at Bayern and won a Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and Champions League treble – the latter triumph including a star turn off the bench in an 8-2 battering of Barca in the quarter-finals.

    Even though Bayern opted not to make the move permanent, it still appeared as though Coutinho's future lay away from Camp Nou until Ronald Koeman's arrival as head coach signalled a fresh lease of life at Barca.

    Coutinho has two assists and a goal, as well as an 88.96 per cent pass success rate, from four LaLiga games this season and compatriot Neto is delighted to see him back playing at Barca.

    "I am happy to have a friend like Coutinho back in the squad, with his quality," he said at a news conference previewing Barca's Champions League opener against Ferencvaros. 

    "He has shown his quality and that he is excited to return to the club. The Champions League title that he has won at Bayern will give him a lot of security and will give us a lot."

    Conversely, Griezmann has endured a slow start to the campaign, failing to score, assist or even create a chance for a team-mate yet from four appearances.

    Much was expected of Griezmann when he arrived from Atletico Madrid ahead of the 2019-20 campaign but the France World Cup winner has struggled for top form at Camp Nou.

    Neto, though, offered his backing to his under-fire team-mate.

    "I see Griezmann very well, as always, we know what this profession is like, sometimes things turn out better and others worse," he added. 

    "But I see him happy and working in training and I'm sure he will continue to provide us with many things as before."

    This week, it was reported Barca's squad had signed a burofax against a 30 per cent reduction to pay, with only three players apparently not putting their name to the document.

    Barca announced big losses to revenue, largely due to the coronavirus pandemic, but Neto was reluctant to go into too much detail over the issue.

    "On the salary issue, I think it would be incoherent to answer now," he said. 

    "The whole squad and I are focused on the game and with being a personal and individual issue, each one has their opinion.

    "The important thing now is the game and we are focused on getting a positive result."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.