Barcelona sell Luis Suarez to Atletico

By Sports Desk September 23, 2020

Barcelona have sold striker Luis Suarez to LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid for €6million, the Blaugrana have confirmed.

Related items

  • Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation

    Cristiano Ronaldo showed off a daring new look on Wednesday as he continued to train even while isolating with coronavirus.

    The Juventus forward has been restricted to his home in Turin since contracting COVID-19 during the international break.

    Ronaldo missed Portugal's Nations League win over Sweden, along with Juve's draw at Crotone and Champions League victory against Dynamo Kiev.

    The Bianconeri will be keen to have their talisman back in action and, based on a video shared on social media, he is likewise raring to go.

    Ronaldo posted a clip filmed from outside a glass room in which he was training on a treadmill, and he is evidently not just keeping trim by working out given the new shaved-head look Juve's number seven was sporting.

    He quoted: "Success in life is not measured by what you achieve, but by the obstacles you overcome."

    In response to claims he had broken coronavirus rules last week, Ronaldo had revealed he was staying on a different floor to his family and had been sunbathing indoors.

  • Figo: European Premier League would destroy football Figo: European Premier League would destroy football

    Luis Figo has called on "everyone" in football to oppose a potential European Premier League, saying the competition would "destroy football as we know it".

    A Sky News report on Tuesday claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were among clubs in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain to hold talks over a breakaway competition.

    Wall Street bank JP Morgan is said to have prepared a $6billion (£4.6bn/€5.1bn) funding package, while FIFA was reported to have given its support to the proposals.

    The alleged plan follows failed attempts from the same two elite Premier League clubs to push through Project Big Picture, which would have secured increased voting rights on matters in England for 'big six' clubs.

    As with Project Big Picture, though, the mooted European Premier League has been met with opposition.

    Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter winger Figo, who briefly ran for FIFA presidency in 2015, has added his voice.

    Responding to comments from ex-United captain Gary Neville, who described the idea as "another wound for football", Figo made his displeasure clear.

    "What I read about this Super League idea will destroy football as we know it," said the 127-cap Portugal international, who retired at Inter in 2009.

    "It's all about greed and keeping the game for a few elite clubs, while killing the other clubs and leagues that fans love.

    "Football should unite! Everyone should oppose it!"

    Figo's decision not to continue with his pursuit of the FIFA presidency five years ago came due to his refusal to "go along with" a process that delivers "absolute power to one man".

    European football's governing body and Champions League organisers UEFA had opposed a potential "super league" on Tuesday, saying the competition would "inevitably become boring".

    The existing Champions League structure is set to be revamped after the 2023-24 campaign, with plenty of posturing around the elite club game in Europe focused upon what shape this might take, although the backers of the European Premier League purportedly have ambitions to launch as early as 2022.

  • Angelino benefitting from Guardiola education at Man City - Nagelsmann Angelino benefitting from Guardiola education at Man City - Nagelsmann

    Angelino is showing the benefits of working under Pep Guardiola after he stole the show in RB Leipzig's 2-0 win over Istanbul Basaksehir in the Champions League, says Julian Nagelsmann. 

    The Spaniard, playing left midfield, scored twice at Red Bull Arena – the first of which was a result of a glorious takedown and spin that Nagelsmann described as "world class". 

    Angelino came through the youth ranks at Manchester City and spent time in the first team as well as going out on a spate of loan spells, the latest of which took him to Leipzig in January in a temporary deal that was extended for the 2020-21 season with a purchase option included. 

    In total Angelino scored from two of his three shots on goal and provided a key pass, while he also gained possession of the ball six times for a Leipzig side that actually had less possession. 

    Nagelsmann was full of praise for Angelino's performance, talking up the influence of City boss Guardiola on his development.

    "Angelino is only unpleasant when he doesn't play, which only happened twice this year. That pretty much describes his character," Leipzig coach Nagelsmann said.  

    "I think Yussi [Yussuf Poulsen] agrees, that he only wants to win. He is like a child that just wants to play all the time. He is almost as bad as me. I'm always playing around with a ball.  

    "But he just always wants to have the ball and you see him constantly shooting it. After training he wants to continue. He has a massive playing instinct and he just wants to win all the time and play around with a ball.  

    "I have to admit, he arrived after working under a great manager. I can't just praise myself. He came as a well-developed player.  

    "We haven't brought many players in from Pep Guardiola, yet, so we can't draw a comparison. But his adaption time was minimal, as he arrived from a great team and a great manager, who surely taught him something.  

    "He is inquisitive, listens and implements things, as he is a great footballer with an instinct to play.  

    "He wants to work all the time and Yussi is like that too. So you adapt and show great results. To score his first goal today is world class."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.