Ex-Man Utd hope Ravel Morrison joins ADO Den Haag

By Sports Desk September 21, 2020

Former Manchester United youngster Ravel Morrison has taken the latest step in his nomadic career by signing for Eredivisie side ADO Den Haag.

Morrison, an ex-England Under-21 international, was praised by Alex Ferguson as one of the finest talents he had ever seen.

But struggles for form and fitness, along with off-field issues, mean the 27-year-old is now set to play for his 11th professional club in a sixth country.

After briefly suggesting he might realise his considerable promise at West Ham during the 2013-14 season, loan spells at Birmingham City, Queens Park Rangers and Cardiff City followed.

Morrison then took his talents outside the UK, briefly turning out for Lazio, Mexican club Atlas and Swedish outfit Ostersunds.

Sheffield United brought him back to the Premier League but, following another temporary stint at Middlesbrough, he was released in July.

"I have a very positive impression of this club," Morrison said of ADO, who have lost their opening two games of the Eredivisie season. 

"I hope to be able to have a lot of playing minutes here. I had to have quite a bit of patience last season and football is really my passion. 

"I would also like to show that to the fans. I hope to be of further value with my creativity and dribbles."

ADO travel to face Feyenoord this weekend.

Related items

  • Gomez-Matip partnership is not rocket science - Klopp Gomez-Matip partnership is not rocket science - Klopp

    Jurgen Klopp is confident centre-backs Joe Gomez and Joel Matip will have little issue forming an effective partnership in the absence of Liverpool talisman Virgil van Dijk.

    Van Dijk is set to miss at least the majority of the current campaign after suffering knee ligament damage in a challenge from Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford during last week's Merseyside derby.

    Matip missed the midweek win over Ajax, meaning Fabinho stepped into defence, but Klopp's options are limited moving forward.

    Dejan Lovren left at the end of last season, leaving Gomez and Matip as the club's only remaining natural centre-backs.

    Klopp expects the duo to adapt and "fight together", although they are yet to start alongside each other in this role due to Van Dijk's dominance.

    "The reason for that is because I think Virg played pretty much all the games and one of them was injured," Klopp said.

    "As long as Dejan Lovren was still here and Dejan was in that moment fit, [he could play].

    "I didn't know they had never played together, I didn't know that, but they can play together – not a shadow of a doubt.

    "As I said for the Fabinho and Joe pairing, they need to get used to each other and the full-backs need to get used to them. The more stability you have in this line, the better.

    "We never had that really – especially one position was always with a lot of changes.

    "They will fight together, there is no doubt about that. It is football and it didn't become rocket science overnight. We can help them with information but then they will get tested every three days – that's the situation."

    Meanwhile, Klopp was asked for his thoughts on Marcus Rashford's work campaigning to end child hunger.

    The Manchester United forward spent Friday promoting offers of free meals from restaurants around the United Kingdom on his social media pages after the government voted against maintaining a scheme to serve this purpose through school holidays.

    "It's just nice to show in a time when obviously a lot of people who are really in charge of something and don't show any sign of proper leadership, that a boy grown up in difficult circumstances, blessed with a sensational talent obviously, never forgot his roots and where he is coming from," Klopp said.

    "That he has to do it then is a bit of a shame but is wonderful as well. I hope his mother is really proud of him. I don't know him but even I am.

    "He plays for United, which makes it really tricky. But it's really an absolutely wonderful, wonderful thing."

  • Al Ahly 3-1 Wydad Casablanca (5-1 agg): Record champions return to final Al Ahly 3-1 Wydad Casablanca (5-1 agg): Record champions return to final

    Al Ahly booked a return to the CAF Champions League final with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Wydad Casablanca in the second leg of their last-four clash. 

    The eight-time champions took an early lead and never looked like missing out on a 13th appearance in the showpiece as they went on to seal a 5-1 aggregate triumph at Cairo International Stadium. 

    Just as they did in the first leg, Al Ahly quickly opened the scoring when Marwan Mohsen tucked the ball past Ahmed Tagnaouti in the fifth minute and a VAR check showed the offside flag had been incorrectly raised. 

    Hussein El Shahat doubled the Egyptian side's advantage when he turned Yahia Attiyat inside out, and Yasser Ibrahim's header before the hour mark effectively ended the tie as a contest. 

    Substitute Zouheir El-Moutaraji's thunderous 20-yard drive pulled one back for Wydad in the 82nd minute but last year's runners-up were unable to secure a return to the final. 

    Al Ahly have lost their previous two final appearances and will have to overcome domestic rivals Zamalek or Raja Casablanca if they are to win the Champions League for the first time since 2013. 

  • FIFA emerges victorious after appeals court rules against TTFA FIFA emerges victorious after appeals court rules against TTFA

    A Court of Appeal in Trinidad and Tobago today set aside a ruling by High Court Judge Carol Gobin that FIFA’s removal of the duly elected executive was “illegal null and void and of no effect”. According to reports out of the twin-island republic, United TTFA that is led by William Wallace, was also ordered to pay legal costs.

    FIFA had dissolved the executive of the TTFA in March and installed a normalization committee to oversee the affairs of the association. The ousted executive then took the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) but eventually withdrew the case citing institutional bias.

    They put the matter before the TT High Court of Justice where High Court Justice Carol Gobin ruled twice in favour of the TTFA – on August 13 and October 13 – in the first instance to say that the TTFA were entitled to justice from the local courts and then to declare FIFA’s actions illegal and null and void.

    However, on Friday, the Court of Appeal, ruled in favour of the football’s governing body.

    “The filing of these proceedings was a breach of Article 67 of the TTFA’s Constitution of which the TTFA is bound,” Chief Justice Ivor Archie ruled, according to 868Wired. “We are of the view that section 67 is unambiguous… The filings of these proceedings was therefore ultra vires, null and void and of no effect and will be struck out.

    ‘In accordance with the relevant provisions of the FIFA Statutes, any appeal against a final and binding decision passed by FIFA, CONCACAF or the leagues shall be heard by the CAS, unless another arbitration tribunal has jurisdiction in accordance with Article 69.

    Prior to Friday's decision, William Wallace had said that if the ruling went against him, he would end all legal challenges against FIFA.

    "If we lose this matter, that's it for me. There is no more appealing,” Wallace said in an interview on WESN Content Capital TV. “I [would] say 'Thank you very much' and I walk away. I have no intention of going beyond our court.”

    The TTFA was represented by Dr Emir Crowne, Matthew Gayle, Jason Jones and Crystal Paul. Christopher Hamel-Smith SC, Jonathan Walker and Cherie Gopie represented FIFA.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.