BREAKING NEWS: Lionel Messi to stay at Barcelona

By Sports Desk September 04, 2020

Lionel Messi has announced he will stay at Barcelona because the financial outlay required to make his desired exit a reality was "impossible".

The Argentina superstar sent shockwaves through Camp Nou last week when he announced he wanted to leave Barca in the wake of the humiliating 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

Messi was of the belief he could leave on a free transfer after activating a clause allowing him to terminate his contract at the end of the season, with Manchester City quickly emerging as favourites for his signature.

LaLiga disputed that claim, though, and insisted any potential suitor would have to negotiate with Barca or pay the €700million release clause in Messi's contract, with his option to leave for nothing having expired on June 10.

Messi's father and agent Jorge met Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu to discuss the six-time Ballon d'Or winner's future on Wednesday, prior to which he stated it would be "difficult" for his son to stay.

However, reports emerged after the meeting that a transfer for Messi would likely start a civil court case, while City were also said to be unable to do a deal if a transfer fee - even one significantly below the release clause - was involved. 

Consequently, Messi confirmed on Friday he would not be moving because the option of a free transfer was no longer on the table.

He told Goa Spainl: "I thought and was sure that I was free to leave. The president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not.

"Now they cling to the fact that I did not say it before June 10, when it turns out that on June 10 we were competing for LaLiga in the middle of this awful coronavirus, and this disease altered all the season.

"This is the reason why I am going to continue with the club.

"Now I am going to continue because the president told me that the only way to leave was to pay the €700m clause, and this is impossible."

 

Related items

  • Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops

    Ed Woodward revealed Manchester United are committed to "playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid" as the club revealed the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

    United announced results for the 2019-20 financial year on Wednesday, including a £70million drop in revenue as it counts the cost of the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis. 

    The club posted total revenue of £509m, a significant dip on the initial forecast of £560m-£580m.

    It comes a year on from a record £627.1m figure, albeit a drop was always expected without Champions League football. 

    Net debt has risen to £474.1m, an increase of £270.5m over the course of the year, as broadcasting revenue dropped to £140.2m. 

    United's commercial revenue increased by £3.9m to £279m, while a £23m dividend was paid out. A six-month extension to the shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet was also announced, meaning the partnership will run through until December 2021. 

    Exceptional costs for the prior year were £19.6m, attributed to the departure of former boss Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff.

    Prior to a conference call with investors, a statement from executive vice-chairman Woodward said the club will "drive forward" the strategic vision for the future of English football, having been at the forefront of the Project Big Picture proposal that was unanimously rejected by the Premier League.

    United and Liverpool, the two clubs at the centre of the Big Picture plan, have also been in talks over the creation of a breakaway European Premier League, Sky News reported on Tuesday.

    "Our focus remains on protecting the health of our colleagues, fans and community while adapting to the significant economic ramifications of the pandemic. Within that context, our top priority is to get fans back into the stadium safely and as soon as possible," Woodward said in a statement.

    "We are also committed to playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid through this period of adversity, while exploring options for making the English game stronger and more sustainable in the long term.

    "This requires strategic vision and leadership from all stakeholders, and we look forward to helping drive forward that process in a timely manner.

    "On the pitch, we have strengthened the team over the summer and we remain committed to our objective of winning trophies, playing entertaining, attacking football with a blend of academy graduates and high-quality recruits, while carefully managing our resources to protect the long-term resilience of the club."

  • Tottenham form is not 'Spursy' but defending must improve - Mourinho Tottenham form is not 'Spursy' but defending must improve - Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho has bemoaned Tottenham's defending from set-pieces but insists the draw against West Ham was a one-off and not evidence his side are "Spursy".

    Returning to action after the international break, prior to which they had thrashed Manchester United 6-1, Mourinho's men looked to be coasting to another big win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday.

    They led the Hammers 3-0 early in the first half and, despite failing to add to their tally, maintained that advantage into the final 10 minutes.

    But a remarkable finish saw Fabian Balbuena pull one back and then Davinson Sanchez head into his own net before a stunning Manuel Lanzini strike deep into stoppage time rescued a 3-3 draw for David Moyes' side.

    Spurs dropped two points in the final seconds against Newcastle United, too, with a contentious penalty award following a free-kick.

    And another set-piece on the opening weekend saw Dominic Calvert-Lewin head a winner for Everton, meaning Tottenham are yet to win at home in the Premier League this season.

    But while Mourinho acknowledges the need to improve, speaking ahead of the Europa League clash with LASK, the coach dismissed the idea his team are "Spursy", a phrase used by rival fans to mock Tottenham's perceived propensity to collapse.

    "That denomination is not important for me, the past is not important for me," Mourinho told reporters. "The future is, of course, important for me.

    "What can I say? We are a team in evolution. I believe that nobody has played better than us with the ball, which is a big evolution from last season.

    "We are a very exciting team to watch, I believe. That is very important and that's the DNA that we want to have.

    "Is that enough to win matches? No. You have the proof that we have eight points when we played so amazing in every match apart from the Everton match.

    "Southampton, Man United, Newcastle and West Ham, we played amazing football. This is very difficult to do. But, of course, we need to play for a result and we have to learn how to do it.

    "What happened [on Sunday] is a bit out of context with what has happened this season.

    "Against Southampton, we were losing and we were strong enough to change the result. Against Man United, the worst thing happened to us, which was after one minute we were losing, and we were strong enough to change that result.

    "Against Newcastle, we were solid, playing amazing, solid, and what happened was one of the beauties of VAR this season.

    "So this game is completely out of context. I believe that winning 3-0 in minute 80, we can play 50 more matches and it's not going to happen again.

    "So I don't want to be sticking on this and [have] stories about 'Spursy' and this kind of thing.

    "We just need to defend better from set-pieces. Even defensively, the team is playing very well. We've conceded one single goal from open play, against Southampton, one.

    "Apart from that: penalties, free-kicks, VAR goals. We are quite solid."

    Mourinho would only confirm Sanchez - the scorer of the own goal - as a starter against LASK, with the defender speaking alongside his coach, who added: "The only thing I ask is that you don't ask him about his amazing goal on Sunday."

    Sanchez said: "Of course, [the West Ham draw] was hard to take, we know that. It had to be better. In the same way, we have enough experience to take it and not repeat it."

  • 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on

    Mesut Ozil feels his loyalty to Arsenal has not been reciprocated as he made public his disappointment at being left out of the club's Premier League squad. 

    The 32-year-old was not included in Mikel Arteta's group for the 2020-21 season when it was submitted on Tuesday, having not played for the Gunners since a match against West Ham on March 7. 

    Ozil was also left out of Arsenal's Europa League squad this month but has vowed to continue fighting for his future with the transfer window now shut in the last season of his lucrative contract.   

    Writing on Instagram, Ozil said: "This is a difficult message to write to the Arsenal fans that I've played for over the past few years. 

    "I'm really deeply disappointed by the fact that I have not been registered for the Premier League season for the time being. 

    "Upon signing my new contract in 2018, I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated. 

    "As I have just found out, loyalty is hard to come by nowadays. I've always tried to remain positive from week to week that there's maybe a chance to get back in the squad soon again. That's why I kept silent so far." 

    Ozil felt his performances had reached a high level prior to the coronavirus-enforced break in Premier League action. 

    After that, he says it was decided he was "not allowed" to play for Arsenal, but still feels settled at the club and in London. 

    Ozil's view of his improved performances are backed up by the Opta data for his 18 Premier League appearances in the 2019-20 season. 

    He created 2.36 chances for every 90 minutes he was on the pitch, comfortably more than the second-placed player on the list, Nicolas Pepe (1.79). 

    Of Arsenal players to feature in at least 10 games last season, Ozil ranked second for successful passes in the opposition half (30.33 per 90 minutes), behind only Dani Ceballos (34.33). 

    The former Germany international added: "Before the coronavirus break I was really happy with the development under our new coach Mikel Arteta. 

    "We have been on a positive way and I would say my performances were on a really good level. 

    "But then things changed, again, and I was not longer allowed to play football for Arsenal. 

    "What else can I say? London still feels like home, I still have many good friends in this team, and I still feel a strong connection with the fans of this club. 

    "No matter what, I will keep fighting for my chance and not let my eighth season at Arsenal end like this. 

    "I can promise you that this hard decision won't change anything in my mindset - I will continue to train as best as I can and wherever possible use my voice against inhumanity and for justice."

    Since making his debut in September 2013 after signing from Real Madrid, Ozil has played more Premier League games (184) than any other Arsenal player.

    He has the most assists in that span (54) and highest amount of chances created (559), while his 33 goals rank fifth behind forwards Alexis Sanchez (60), Olivier Giroud (59), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (55) and Alexandre Lacazette (40).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.