Messi's father insists €700m release clause 'does not apply at all'

By Sports Desk September 04, 2020

Lionel Messi's €700million release clause "does not apply at all" as he seeks to leave Barcelona, his father says, although LaLiga reiterated the captain cannot walk away as a free agent.

Messi last week informed Barca he wants to move on after an 2019-20 season in which they failed to win a trophy and were hammered 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

Manchester City quickly emerged as suitors for the six-time Ballon d'Or winner but are reportedly only interested in a free transfer.

Messi believed an agreement in his contract meant he could leave Camp Nou at the end of the campaign without the astronomical release clause being paid.

But with the season delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Blaugrana maintained that option has expired, and LaLiga last week said the clause would still need to be paid in full.

Jorge Messi, the Argentina forward's father and representative, responded to LaLiga's statement on Friday, however, just a day after he had acknowledged his son might stay at Barca.

He claimed the contract showed there was "an obvious error" in LaLiga's analysis.

Jorge Messi wrote to president Javier Tebas: "We do not know which contract you have analysed, and what are the bases on which you conclude that the 'termination clause' is not applicable if the player urges the unilateral termination of it with effect from the completion of the 2019-20 sports season.

"This is due to an obvious error on your part."

Jorge quoted the relevant clause in Messi's contract, then added: "Without prejudice to other rights that are included in the contract and that you omit, it is obvious that the compensation of 700 million euros, provided for in the previous clause 8.2.3.5, does not apply at all."

According to his father, Messi's contract reads: "This compensation will not apply when the termination of the contract by unilateral decision of the player takes effect from the end of the 2019-2020 sports season."

LaLiga offered a swift response, saying his claims were "decontextualised and far from reality of the contract they signed", before referring back to its earlier statement.

Reports in Argentina on Friday shortly after Jorge Messi's letter emerged claimed the Barca captain would remain at the club for the coming season.

Related items

  • 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on

    Mesut Ozil feels his loyalty to Arsenal has not been reciprocated as he made public his disappointment at being left out of the club's Premier League squad. 

    The 32-year-old was not included in Mikel Arteta's group for the 2020-21 season when it was submitted on Tuesday, having not played for the Gunners since a match against West Ham on March 7. 

    Ozil was also left out of Arsenal's Europa League squad this month but has vowed to continue fighting for his future with the transfer window now shut in the last season of his lucrative contract.   

    Writing on Instagram, Ozil said: "This is a difficult message to write to the Arsenal fans that I've played for over the past few years. 

    "I'm really deeply disappointed by the fact that I have not been registered for the Premier League season for the time being. 

    "Upon signing my new contract in 2018, I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated. 

    "As I have just found out, loyalty is hard to come by nowadays. I've always tried to remain positive from week to week that there's maybe a chance to get back in the squad soon again. That's why I kept silent so far." 

    Ozil felt his performances had reached a high level prior to the coronavirus-enforced break in Premier League action. 

    After that, he says it was decided he was "not allowed" to play for Arsenal, but still feels settled at the club and in London. 

    Ozil's view of his improved performances are backed up by the Opta data for his 18 Premier League appearances in the 2019-20 season. 

    He created 2.36 chances for every 90 minutes he was on the pitch, comfortably more than the second-placed player on the list, Nicolas Pepe (1.79). 

    Of Arsenal players to feature in at least 10 games last season, Ozil ranked second for successful passes in the opposition half (30.33 per 90 minutes), behind only Dani Ceballos (34.33). 

    The former Germany international added: "Before the coronavirus break I was really happy with the development under our new coach Mikel Arteta. 

    "We have been on a positive way and I would say my performances were on a really good level. 

    "But then things changed, again, and I was not longer allowed to play football for Arsenal. 

    "What else can I say? London still feels like home, I still have many good friends in this team, and I still feel a strong connection with the fans of this club. 

    "No matter what, I will keep fighting for my chance and not let my eighth season at Arsenal end like this. 

    "I can promise you that this hard decision won't change anything in my mindset - I will continue to train as best as I can and wherever possible use my voice against inhumanity and for justice."

    Since making his debut in September 2013 after signing from Real Madrid, Ozil has played more Premier League games (184) than any other Arsenal player.

    He has the most assists in that span (54) and highest amount of chances created (559), while his 33 goals rank fifth behind forwards Alexis Sanchez (60), Olivier Giroud (59), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (55) and Alexandre Lacazette (40).

  • Figo: European Premier League would destroy football Figo: European Premier League would destroy football

    Luis Figo has called on "everyone" in football to oppose a potential European Premier League, saying the competition would "destroy football as we know it".

    A Sky News report on Tuesday claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were among clubs in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain to hold talks over a breakaway competition.

    Wall Street bank JP Morgan is said to have prepared a $6billion (£4.6bn/€5.1bn) funding package, while FIFA was reported to have given its support to the proposals.

    The alleged plan follows failed attempts from the same two elite Premier League clubs to push through Project Big Picture, which would have secured increased voting rights on matters in England for 'big six' clubs.

    As with Project Big Picture, though, the mooted European Premier League has been met with opposition.

    Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter winger Figo, who briefly ran for FIFA presidency in 2015, has added his voice.

    Responding to comments from ex-United captain Gary Neville, who described the idea as "another wound for football", Figo made his displeasure clear.

    "What I read about this Super League idea will destroy football as we know it," said the 127-cap Portugal international, who retired at Inter in 2009.

    "It's all about greed and keeping the game for a few elite clubs, while killing the other clubs and leagues that fans love.

    "Football should unite! Everyone should oppose it!"

    Figo's decision not to continue with his pursuit of the FIFA presidency five years ago came due to his refusal to "go along with" a process that delivers "absolute power to one man".

    European football's governing body and Champions League organisers UEFA had opposed a potential "super league" on Tuesday, saying the competition would "inevitably become boring".

    The existing Champions League structure is set to be revamped after the 2023-24 campaign, with plenty of posturing around the elite club game in Europe focused upon what shape this might take, although the backers of the European Premier League purportedly have ambitions to launch as early as 2022.

  • Angelino benefitting from Guardiola education at Man City - Nagelsmann Angelino benefitting from Guardiola education at Man City - Nagelsmann

    Angelino is showing the benefits of working under Pep Guardiola after he stole the show in RB Leipzig's 2-0 win over Istanbul Basaksehir in the Champions League, says Julian Nagelsmann. 

    The Spaniard, playing left midfield, scored twice at Red Bull Arena – the first of which was a result of a glorious takedown and spin that Nagelsmann described as "world class". 

    Angelino came through the youth ranks at Manchester City and spent time in the first team as well as going out on a spate of loan spells, the latest of which took him to Leipzig in January in a temporary deal that was extended for the 2020-21 season with a purchase option included. 

    In total Angelino scored from two of his three shots on goal and provided a key pass, while he also gained possession of the ball six times for a Leipzig side that actually had less possession. 

    Nagelsmann was full of praise for Angelino's performance, talking up the influence of City boss Guardiola on his development.

    "Angelino is only unpleasant when he doesn't play, which only happened twice this year. That pretty much describes his character," Leipzig coach Nagelsmann said.  

    "I think Yussi [Yussuf Poulsen] agrees, that he only wants to win. He is like a child that just wants to play all the time. He is almost as bad as me. I'm always playing around with a ball.  

    "But he just always wants to have the ball and you see him constantly shooting it. After training he wants to continue. He has a massive playing instinct and he just wants to win all the time and play around with a ball.  

    "I have to admit, he arrived after working under a great manager. I can't just praise myself. He came as a well-developed player.  

    "We haven't brought many players in from Pep Guardiola, yet, so we can't draw a comparison. But his adaption time was minimal, as he arrived from a great team and a great manager, who surely taught him something.  

    "He is inquisitive, listens and implements things, as he is a great footballer with an instinct to play.  

    "He wants to work all the time and Yussi is like that too. So you adapt and show great results. To score his first goal today is world class."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.