Rumour Has It: Barcelona in suspense over Messi future

By Sports Desk August 19, 2020

Lionel Messi reportedly has Barcelona in "suspense" amid talk over his future.

Messi, 33, has been linked with a move away from the LaLiga giants amid chaos at the club following their capitulation in the Champions League.

Contracted until 2021, Messi's future has become a major talking point.

 

TOP STORY – BARCELONA IN 'SUSPENSE' OVER MESSI FUTURE

Barcelona are in suspense amid uncertainty over Messi's future, according to Marca.

Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu said on Tuesday he expected Messi to lead the club into the future under Ronald Koeman.

TuttoMercatoWeb reports only Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain or Inter would be able to afford the six-time Ballon d'Or winner.

 

ROUND-UP

- Staying at Barcelona and Mundo Deportivo reports Koeman wants a two-year deal at the club and Henrik Larsson as one of his assistants at Camp Nou.

- Chelsea continue to chase Kai Havertz. Sport Bild claims negotiations between the Premier League club and Bayer Leverkusen started last week and Havertz will become the most expensive German player of all-time.

- Will Kalidou Koulibaly leave Napoli? The Mirror reports City are being invited to make a £60million (€66.6m) move for the defender, who Napoli want to replace with Lille's Gabriel Magalhaes. ESPN says Arsenal are hopeful of sealing a deal for Gabriel for around £22m (€24.4m).

- Leeds United could be preparing to strengthen on their return to the Premier League. The Evening Standard reports Leeds are interested in Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi.

- Benfica could be nearing two big signings. Gianluca Di Marzio says the Portuguese giants want Inter midfielder Joao Mario, while Record reports Benfica are close to completing a deal for former Paris Saint-Germain star Edinson Cavani.

- Having signed Blaise Matuidi, Inter Miami may add some firepower. DIRECTV Peru says the MLS club have started talks to sign former PSV and Schalke forward Jefferson Farfan.

Related items

  • Man Utd backing Solskjaer but 'have nothing to say' on European Premier League Man Utd backing Solskjaer but 'have nothing to say' on European Premier League

    Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward says he does not know the origin of reports about a breakaway European Premier League.

    Talks over the mooted competition, detailed in a Sky News story, are said to involve United and rivals Liverpool.

    The two sides were also driving forces behind the failed Project Big Picture in England, which would have secured increased voting rights on Premier League matters for 'big six' clubs.

    But speaking as United's latest financial results were revealed on Wednesday, Woodward said the club could not comment on the latest alleged plans.

    "I saw the reports on [the European Premier League] and candidly don't know where that story came from," he said. "We have nothing to say.

    "We are in regular discussions with ECA and UEFA about changes to the Champions League and onwards. I can't comment on your question."

    The day after United beat Paris Saint-Germain 2-1 in the Champions League, Woodward was more open in discussing "progress" under manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    In a lengthy statement, he said: "On the field, we will never be satisfied at Manchester United unless we are winning trophies.

    "But our third-placed finish in the Premier League and strong cup runs last season showed that, while there is more hard work ahead and the path is not always smooth, we are making progress.

    "We have a clear strategy under Ole to build a successful, committed team, with a core of homegrown talent blended with high-quality recruits, that plays fast flowing, attacking football.

    "To that end, we are pleased with our recent additions to the first-team squad of Donny van de Beek and Alex Telles, two players we had been tracking as part of our recruitment process for a long period, and Edinson Cavani, a top striker who adds a new option to our forward line.

    "We also welcome Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo, who will join in January, two exciting young prospects who have also been scouted extensively.

    "Added to the arrival of Bruno Fernandes earlier this year, these recruits underscore our continued commitment to strengthening the squad and take our net investment in new players since summer 2019 to over €200million – more, I believe, than any other major European club over that time period."

  • Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation

    Cristiano Ronaldo showed off a daring new look on Wednesday as he continued to train even while isolating with coronavirus.

    The Juventus forward has been restricted to his home in Turin since contracting COVID-19 during the international break.

    Ronaldo missed Portugal's Nations League win over Sweden, along with Juve's draw at Crotone and Champions League victory against Dynamo Kiev.

    The Bianconeri will be keen to have their talisman back in action and, based on a video shared on social media, he is likewise raring to go.

    Ronaldo posted a clip filmed from outside a glass room in which he was training on a treadmill, and he is evidently not just keeping trim by working out given the new shaved-head look Juve's number seven was sporting.

    He quoted: "Success in life is not measured by what you achieve, but by the obstacles you overcome."

    In response to claims he had broken coronavirus rules last week, Ronaldo had revealed he was staying on a different floor to his family and had been sunbathing indoors.

  • Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops

    Ed Woodward revealed Manchester United are committed to "playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid" as the club revealed the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

    United announced results for the 2019-20 financial year on Wednesday, including a £70million drop in revenue as it counts the cost of the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis. 

    The club posted total revenue of £509m, a significant dip on the initial forecast of £560m-£580m.

    It comes a year on from a record £627.1m figure, albeit a drop was always expected without Champions League football. 

    Net debt has risen to £474.1m, an increase of £270.5m over the course of the year, as broadcasting revenue dropped to £140.2m. 

    United's commercial revenue increased by £3.9m to £279m, while a £23m dividend was paid out. A six-month extension to the shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet was also announced, meaning the partnership will run through until December 2021. 

    Exceptional costs for the prior year were £19.6m, attributed to the departure of former boss Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff.

    Prior to a conference call with investors, a statement from executive vice-chairman Woodward said the club will "drive forward" the strategic vision for the future of English football, having been at the forefront of the Project Big Picture proposal that was unanimously rejected by the Premier League.

    United and Liverpool, the two clubs at the centre of the Big Picture plan, have also been in talks over the creation of a breakaway European Premier League, Sky News reported on Tuesday.

    "Our focus remains on protecting the health of our colleagues, fans and community while adapting to the significant economic ramifications of the pandemic. Within that context, our top priority is to get fans back into the stadium safely and as soon as possible," Woodward said in a statement.

    "We are also committed to playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid through this period of adversity, while exploring options for making the English game stronger and more sustainable in the long term.

    "This requires strategic vision and leadership from all stakeholders, and we look forward to helping drive forward that process in a timely manner.

    "On the pitch, we have strengthened the team over the summer and we remain committed to our objective of winning trophies, playing entertaining, attacking football with a blend of academy graduates and high-quality recruits, while carefully managing our resources to protect the long-term resilience of the club."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.