Lille sign Jonathan David from Gent for €30m

By Sports Desk August 11, 2020

Lille have signed striker Jonathan David from Gent in a reported €30million deal to boost their attacking options further after losing Victor Osimhen to Napoli.

Osimhen, who scored 13 Ligue 1 goals last season, joined the Partenopei at the end of July in a deal that could eventually be worth €54m.

While Lille moved quickly to bring in veteran Turkey forward Burak Yilmaz, a large chunk of the Osimhen fee was used to recruit Canada's David.

The 20-year-old has signed a five-year contract in Lille and will wear the number nine shirt, which previously belonged to Loic Remy, who is said to have failed a medical at Benevento in recent weeks.

David scored an impressive 37 goals in 83 games for Gent in all competitions, having made his debut in August 2018.

The American-born front man also has an outstanding strike rate at international level, netting 11 times in 12 senior matches for Canada.

"I'm really happy," David said. "I've been eagerly awaiting this day and it's a pleasure to be a Dogue.

"I know the project that has been put in place here by the president, [sporting director] Luis Campos and [head coach] Christophe Galtier. This is a very good team with great players.

"I want to play and to progress and I think that this is the perfect place."

Related items

  • 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on 'Deeply disappointed' Ozil says Arsenal lack loyalty but vows to fight on

    Mesut Ozil feels his loyalty to Arsenal has not been reciprocated as he made public his disappointment at being left out of the club's Premier League squad. 

    The 32-year-old was not included in Mikel Arteta's group for the 2020-21 season when it was submitted on Tuesday, having not played for the Gunners since a match against West Ham on March 7. 

    Ozil was also left out of Arsenal's Europa League squad this month but has vowed to continue fighting for his future with the transfer window now shut in the last season of his lucrative contract.   

    Writing on Instagram, Ozil said: "This is a difficult message to write to the Arsenal fans that I've played for over the past few years. 

    "I'm really deeply disappointed by the fact that I have not been registered for the Premier League season for the time being. 

    "Upon signing my new contract in 2018, I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated. 

    "As I have just found out, loyalty is hard to come by nowadays. I've always tried to remain positive from week to week that there's maybe a chance to get back in the squad soon again. That's why I kept silent so far." 

    Ozil felt his performances had reached a high level prior to the coronavirus-enforced break in Premier League action. 

    After that, he says it was decided he was "not allowed" to play for Arsenal, but still feels settled at the club and in London. 

    Ozil's view of his improved performances are backed up by the Opta data for his 18 Premier League appearances in the 2019-20 season. 

    He created 2.36 chances for every 90 minutes he was on the pitch, comfortably more than the second-placed player on the list, Nicolas Pepe (1.79). 

    Of Arsenal players to feature in at least 10 games last season, Ozil ranked second for successful passes in the opposition half (30.33 per 90 minutes), behind only Dani Ceballos (34.33). 

    The former Germany international added: "Before the coronavirus break I was really happy with the development under our new coach Mikel Arteta. 

    "We have been on a positive way and I would say my performances were on a really good level. 

    "But then things changed, again, and I was not longer allowed to play football for Arsenal. 

    "What else can I say? London still feels like home, I still have many good friends in this team, and I still feel a strong connection with the fans of this club. 

    "No matter what, I will keep fighting for my chance and not let my eighth season at Arsenal end like this. 

    "I can promise you that this hard decision won't change anything in my mindset - I will continue to train as best as I can and wherever possible use my voice against inhumanity and for justice."

    Since making his debut in September 2013 after signing from Real Madrid, Ozil has played more Premier League games (184) than any other Arsenal player.

    He has the most assists in that span (54) and highest amount of chances created (559), while his 33 goals rank fifth behind forwards Alexis Sanchez (60), Olivier Giroud (59), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (55) and Alexandre Lacazette (40).

  • Figo: European Premier League would destroy football Figo: European Premier League would destroy football

    Luis Figo has called on "everyone" in football to oppose a potential European Premier League, saying the competition would "destroy football as we know it".

    A Sky News report on Tuesday claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were among clubs in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain to hold talks over a breakaway competition.

    Wall Street bank JP Morgan is said to have prepared a $6billion (£4.6bn/€5.1bn) funding package, while FIFA was reported to have given its support to the proposals.

    The alleged plan follows failed attempts from the same two elite Premier League clubs to push through Project Big Picture, which would have secured increased voting rights on matters in England for 'big six' clubs.

    As with Project Big Picture, though, the mooted European Premier League has been met with opposition.

    Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter winger Figo, who briefly ran for FIFA presidency in 2015, has added his voice.

    Responding to comments from ex-United captain Gary Neville, who described the idea as "another wound for football", Figo made his displeasure clear.

    "What I read about this Super League idea will destroy football as we know it," said the 127-cap Portugal international, who retired at Inter in 2009.

    "It's all about greed and keeping the game for a few elite clubs, while killing the other clubs and leagues that fans love.

    "Football should unite! Everyone should oppose it!"

    Figo's decision not to continue with his pursuit of the FIFA presidency five years ago came due to his refusal to "go along with" a process that delivers "absolute power to one man".

    European football's governing body and Champions League organisers UEFA had opposed a potential "super league" on Tuesday, saying the competition would "inevitably become boring".

    The existing Champions League structure is set to be revamped after the 2023-24 campaign, with plenty of posturing around the elite club game in Europe focused upon what shape this might take, although the backers of the European Premier League purportedly have ambitions to launch as early as 2022.

  • Solskjaer confirms Bailly injury blow for Man Utd Solskjaer confirms Bailly injury blow for Man Utd

    Eric Bailly is set to be absent for Manchester United until after the next international window in November, Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed. 

    The Ivory Coast centre-back was on the bench when Manchester United defeated Newcastle United 4-1 at the weekend but did not travel for the impressive 2-1 win at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Tuesday. 

    Bailly has an unspecified muscular injury, which Solskjaer said will keep him out potentially for up to a month. 

    "Eric has a muscle injury, we think maybe three or four weeks, maybe after the international break he'll be back," Solskjaer said. 

    It presents a slight problem for the United boss, who was without Harry Maguire in the French capital, though he could be back against Chelsea this weekend. 

    Axel Tuanzebe excelled in a back three alongside Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw in his first competitive appearance since December, meaning Aaron Wan-Bissaka and new signing Alex Telles were utilised as wing-backs. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.