Gomes ends 'beautiful chapter' with Man Utd amid reported Lille deal

By Sports Desk August 04, 2020

Angel Gomes explained the time had come to close a "beautiful chapter" in his life after ending his long association with Manchester United.

The talented 19-year-old is out of contract and is reportedly set to join Lille, although he will be loaned out to Portuguese club Boavista from the Ligue 1 outfit for the 2020-21 season.

Gomes came through United's youth system and was handed his first-team debut by Jose Mourinho in May 2017, coming on as a late substitute against Crystal Palace.

However, opportunities have been limited for the England youth international since - his only three starts in the 2019-20 campaign came in the Europa League - and he has opted to move on to further his career.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had already confirmed the Red Devils had failed to reach an agreement over a new deal, with Gomes publishing a farewell message on his Instagram account on Tuesday.

"Sadly the time has come to end a beautiful chapter that has been my life for 14 years," Gomes wrote to accompany a video montage of his time at United. 

"Being from Salford, Manchester United is all I have ever known. I went from playing on my estate, pretending to be Wayne Rooney, to being in the academy and doing the same. May 21, 2017, I made my Premier League debut for the club of my dreams aged 16, replacing the legend himself Wayne Rooney.

"I want to thank every single individual at the club for the help and encouragement I received, from the very first time I signed at the club. I want to thank all the coaches from every age group that looked after me from six to now."

Gomes also added his appreciation for both the club staff and United fans after confirming the time was right to make the "next step" in his career, signing off: "Once a RED always a RED".

Lille are yet to officially confirm the signing of the versatile playmaker, though French media claim Gomes will join on a five-year deal. 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Mbappe eyes Real Madrid, Neymar wants PSG stay Rumour Has It: Mbappe eyes Real Madrid, Neymar wants PSG stay

    Kylian Mbappe seems set to leave Paris Saint-Germain.

    Mbappe's future with the Ligue 1 giants is a constant talking point with the star forward coming out of contract in 2022.

    And it seems the 21-year-old wants an exit.

     

    TOP STORY – MBAPPE WANTS PSG EXIT

    Mbappe wants to leave PSG next year, according to OKdiario.

    The report says the France international wants a smooth transfer to Real Madrid, otherwise he will make a move for free in 2022.

    Mbappe has helped PSG win three straight Ligue 1 titles since his arrival, initially on loan, from Monaco in 2017.

    PSG have won 64 of 81 Ligue 1 games with Mbappe from 2017-18 onwards, while recording 22 victories in 30 without him.

    In that period they have averaged 2.9 goals for per game with him, compared to 2.5 without him.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Another PSG star coming out of contract in 2022 is Neymar. However, in good news for the Ligue 1 giants, the forward wants to extend his contract, according to Foot Mercato, which says Neymar was ready to sign a five-year deal under the same financial conditions earlier in 2020.

    - Manchester United could be set to bolster their midfield ahead of next season. Bild reports the Premier League club are in talks with Milan's Hakan Calhanoglu, who it says rejected Juventus. United could sign Calhanoglu for free with his contract expiring at the season's end.

    - Another transfer race has reportedly not gone Manchester United's way. Fabrizio Romano says Manchester City will sign 18-year-old Filip Stevanovic from Partizan for £7.2million (€8m), including add-ons.

    - Staying at Manchester City and ESPN says Barcelona will again attempt to sign defender Eric Garcia in January. Garcia was linked with a return to the LaLiga giants earlier this year, but the report adds the incoming president will have to approve any potential deal.

    - Atletico Madrid are pushing hard to sign Valencia midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia, according to Le 10 Sport.

  • Hat-trick or treat: Premier League history on Halloween Hat-trick or treat: Premier League history on Halloween

    It is that time of year again - Halloween is here!

    October 31 is a date synonymous with apple-bobbing, costume parties, carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating. And football, too, of course.

    This Saturday sees three Premier League fixtures take place, so can we expect to see plenty of ghouls - sorry, goals - during proceedings?

    Manchester City host Sheffield United in the early kick-off, Chelsea travel to Burnley and the schedule concludes with champions Liverpool welcoming West Ham to Anfield.

    With help from Opta, take a (scary) trip down memory lane with a look at Halloween through the years in the English top flight, including some be-witching scoring feats and those left having nightmares.

     

    HAT-TRICK TREATS

    Three players have scored a Premier League hat-trick on the final day of October, the most recent being Demba Ba in a 3-1 win over Stoke City for Newcastle United nine years ago.

    Newcastle were responsible for another of the trebles, with Kevin Nolan finding the net three times in a famous 5-1 win over, fittingly, the Black Cats – their bitter rivals, Sunderland – one year beforehand.

    The other three-goal haul came via Aruna Dindane for Portsmouth against Wigan Athletic in 2009. A spook-tacular feat, indeed!

     

    THE UNLUCKY 13

    It is perhaps somewhat appropriate that 13 red cards have been dished out on Halloween down the years.

    Stuart Pearce had a nightmare in Newcastle's meeting with West Ham in 1998 in the first of those incidents, the Toon going on to lose that match 3-0.

    Liverpool have had more players dismissed on October 31 than any other Premier League side, with Jason McAteer, Philipp Degen and Jamie Carragher all seeing red.

    Kenwyne Jones, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Radoslav Kovac, Carlos Cuellar, Geovanni, Jlloyd Samuel, Titus Bramble and, most recently Russell Martin and James Collins in 2015, are the others to be given their marching orders on Halloween.

    OG HORRORS

    Arguably the biggest horror show a player can endure is scoring for the opposition, something only four players have done on this day since the Premier League was incepted.

    Alfie Mawson could not mask his misery in Swansea City's 3-1 loss to Stoke City in 2016, turning Ramadan Sobhi's shot into his own net.

    Craig Short did likewise for Everton against Manchester United 22 years ago, while Gary McAllister and Ian Brightwell – both in 1992 – complete the set.

    LONG LIST OF GHOUL-SCORERS

    Halloween is not all about chills, though - there are the occasional thrills, too!

    Eighty-eight different players can hold claim to scoring on the spookiest day of the year, 17 of those bagging more than once.

    As well as the aforementioned hat-trick heroes, the likes of Riyad Mahrez, Philippe Coutinho, Robin van Persie, Odion Ighalo and Ian Wright have scored multiple times.

    Ighalo and Mahrez are two of six current Premier League players to have found the net on Halloween, along with Branislav Ivanovic, Olivier Giroud, Christian Benteke and Jamie Vardy. 

    But Christian Benteke has the special honour of being the only one of those 88 goal-scorers from whose name you can create the words 'trick' and 'treat'.

  • Premier League table doesn't mean much yet – Mourinho Premier League table doesn't mean much yet – Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho believes the Premier League table means little so early in the season despite Tottenham's fine start to the campaign.

    Tottenham are sixth in the table – two points behind leaders Everton – ahead of hosting Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday.

    Spurs have lost just one of their opening six league games and have netted more goals (16) than anyone else, leading to suggestions they could challenge for the title.

    But Tottenham head coach Mourinho said it was too early to make judgments based on the standings.

    "I believe the table now doesn't mean much. I believe that by February, March, you look to the table and understand the reality of the competition," he said.

    "A part of that special season with a special Leicester [in 2015-16], a part of that you get into February or March and the reality of the teams are expressed on the table, in this moment not yet.

    "We had magnificent results away in the Premier League but at home we lost too many points and with these points we would be there but it is not a target.

    "The target is to win against Brighton knowing that anything can happen in the Premier League."

    Spurs dropped points in additional time in home draws against Newcastle United and West Ham, the latter coming from 3-0 down late.

    Winless in three home league games this season, Tottenham last had a run of four matches without a home league win in December 2013, but Mourinho said he had no concerns.

    "I am not so worried about the home record," said Mourinho, whose side are coming off a shock 1-0 Europa League loss to Royal Antwerp.

    "I am worried about playing well and getting points and against Everton the frustration was we probably deserved, I think, a point but we didn't play well and in other games the feeling was different.

    "We played very well against Newcastle, we played very well against West Ham so let's try and play very well against Brighton and when you play very well you normally win, so let's try."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.