Juve-linked Busio tipped for 'massive future' after firing Sporting KC through

By Sports Desk July 22, 2020

Reported Juventus and Milan target Gianluca Busio has been tipped for a "massive future" after his latest goal clinched Sporting Kansas City's progression at the MLS is Back Tournament.

Busio scored with a stunning late strike to seal a 2-0 Sporting KC win over rivals Real Salt Lake on Wednesday to ensure they will finish in the top two in Group C.

The 18-year-old's left-footed effort added to a scrappy first-minute opener from Johnny Russell.

Serie A's top clubs are said to be among the suitors for Busio and former Derby County forward Russell says the world is the teenager's oyster.

"Of course, he's got a massive future," Russell told a remote news conference. "Busio's one of the players who's been with us for a while, since probably like 15, so his development over that time has been great.

"Obviously, we want to hold on to him for as long as we can. But if he keeps showing signs of progression the way he has, he's got a huge future in this game."

Despite losing their tournament opener to Minnesota United, Sporting KC now have four wins from five matches in 2020 - including two regular season games prior to the coronavirus-enforced suspension.

Goalkeeper Tim Melia is not getting carried away ahead of the knockout stage in Florida, however.

Asked if Sporting KC were among the tournament favourites, Melia said: "I don't think so. Our goal is just to continue to move forward.

"I think we just need to get a little bit better each game and I think we did that especially in this game. We handled the different phases of the game really well collectively as a group.

"Now we'll just build off each performance a little more and we want to keep going and keep going."

Related items

  • Pioli targets top four as Milan prepare for Serie A opener Pioli targets top four as Milan prepare for Serie A opener

    Stefano Pioli has challenged Milan to hit the ground running at the start of the new Serie A season as they aim for a top-four finish.

    The Rossoneri finished the 2019-20 campaign impressively, producing a 12-game unbeaten run in the league to rise up to sixth spot, enough to secure Europa League qualification.

    Their fine form during the run-in also led to a new contract for Pioli, who acknowledges there will now be added pressure this term.

    While a title tilt may be a tall order, the Milan boss revealed his determination to avoid losing ground on their main rivals ahead of Monday's opening fixture against Bologna.

    "If we want to finish in the top four, we need to start well," Pioli told the media. "We can't be chasing the whole time.

    "Starting with a win is vital, which is why we're focusing on tomorrow's match. The Scudetto? I don't know. It's difficult to give a response at this time."

    Milan, who last ended a season in the top four in 2012-13, have added Brahim Diaz and Sandro Tonali to their squad, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic has also signed a new contract to remain at San Siro.

    Asked about the rise in expectations following such a strong finish to the previous campaign, Pioli replied: "Being under pressure is a privilege, it means that we've reached a high standard.

    "Our objective is to improve on our position last year - we need to be ambitious, we're AC Milan."

    Pioli saw his side triumph 2-0 in a Europa League qualifying tie against Shamrock Rovers in midweek, Hakan Calhanoglu playing a starring role.

    The Turkey international scored his team's second goal and has built up a strong partnership with Ibrahimovic, who was also on target.

    "Calhanoglu is someone who knows how to play on the pitch," Pioli said. "He's developed an important understanding with Ibra, they know how to attack the lines and the space in behind.

    "Calhanoglu has lots of quality and is also a selfless player. He has all the cards at his disposal to do well and continue to be a point of reference."

  • Bartomeu on Messi: I couldn't let the best player in the world go Bartomeu on Messi: I couldn't let the best player in the world go

    Josep Maria Bartomeu insisted he had no interest in continuing a public spat with Lionel Messi despite the Barcelona captain's criticism of his presidency.

    Messi stunned the world last month when he informed Barca of his intention to depart the LaLiga giants, with the 33-year-old intending to trigger a clause in his contract to walk away on a free at the end of last season.

    However, the validity of such a stipulation was murky due to the campaign being extended by the coronavirus pandemic, and Messi ultimately opted to remain in Catalonia rather than challenge Barcelona in a legal battle.

    That did not prevent him from taking aim at Bartomeu in an interview with Goal, though, as he accused the president of reneging on his wish to leave and presiding over a club that had "no project or anything for a long time".

    "As president, I will not enter into any conflict with Messi," Bartomeu told TV3.

    "Messi is our captain, our leader. The issue is parked. What has been said has been said.

    "I couldn't allow to let the best player in the world go. The team needs him, he guarantees success. Things have to be discussed at home. You have to support the team and the players.

    "We have to congratulate ourselves that Messi is still with us. He is excited about [coach Ronald] Koeman's project. The important thing is he plays for Barca, at his home. We want him to retire at the club."

    Messi's contract expires at the end of the 2020-21 season anyway, though by that point Barcelona will have a different president as there are elections to replace Bartomeu next March.

    However, Bartomeu, unpopular with some Barcelona fans due to his role in the Messi saga, may be forced out before then if he faces a vote of no confidence on the back of a motion to remove him, which has so far gathered more than 20,000 votes.

    "Right now, no-one is considering resigning," Bartomeu added.

    "The club is not going to stop. I think everyone was surprised by the number of signatures but we respect democracy and the club's laws."

  • Leicester sign Cengiz Under on loan from Roma Leicester sign Cengiz Under on loan from Roma

    Leicester City have completed the signing of winger Cengiz Under on a season-long loan from Roma.

    It is reported Brendan Rodgers' team have paid an initial £2.7million loan fee and hold an option to buy the Turkey international for around £22m.

    Under has spent three years with Roma after joining them in 2017 from Istanbul Basaksehir, though he only started 42 Serie A games over that period.

    "I can't wait to go to Leicester and start training," Under told his new club's website.

    "I've always wanted to play in England and this is a great opportunity to play in the Premier League.

    "I will try to help my team-mates on the pitch and off the pitch and I believe that I can improve my performance every day. I think I am fast and can create lots of chances for my colleagues. 

    "I feel very good because my best friend plays for Leicester City. I am very happy to be able to play with [Turkey team-mate] Caglar [Soyuncu] and I always watched Leicester's games because of him."

    Rodgers had discussed the impending arrival of Under on Friday, stating his belief the 23-year-old will offer something different due to his creativity.

    "He's a very good player," Rodgers said. "We need a different type of attacking player. Having watched him, he's clearly a talented player.

    "We have pace and power at the top end, but we also need some more football in there.

    "We need someone who can beat someone in a one-v-one, we need someone who can break down defences who are organised, when it's tight."

    Leicester beat West Brom in their opening Premier League match of the new season and host Burnley on Sunday looking to make it two wins from two.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.