Juventus and Atletico Madrid-linked Zapata worth more than €50million - Atalanta chief Marino

By Sports Desk July 22, 2020

Juventus and Atletico Madrid have been told by Atalanta general manager Umberto Marino that it will take an offer of more than €50million to sign striker Duvan Zapata.

Colombia international Zapata has netted 17 Serie A goals this season for free-scoring Atalanta, who climbed into second place with Tuesday's 1-0 win over Bologna.

He has been strongly linked with a move to domestic rivals Juve and LaLiga side Atletico, with the latter rumoured to have had an opening offer of €50m knocked back.

However, Marino is holding out for a far bigger sum for a player who has netted 40 goals in two league campaigns with Atalanta since joining from Sampdoria.

"He is worth much more than €50m. They have to raise their bid," Marino is quoted as saying by Sky Sport Italia.  

"But it is early to talk about it. We have to enjoy the Champions League and what remains of the season. 

"He is doing well in Bergamo and I am happy that great international teams are looking at him."

Related items

  • Pirlo 'won't step aside' as Juve boss remains defiant despite dismal defeat to Milan Pirlo 'won't step aside' as Juve boss remains defiant despite dismal defeat to Milan

    Andrea Pirlo has no intention of resigning as Juventus head coach after the Bianconeri's hopes of qualifying for next season's Champions League suffered a significant blow on Sunday. 

    Juve slumped to a resounding 3-0 home defeat to Italian rivals Milan as they slipped to fifth in Serie A with just three league games remaining in the race for the top four.

    It was the first time Juve had been beaten at home by the Rossoneri since March 2011, while it marked the first time they had conceded three goals at home to Milan since January 2010. 

    Pirlo has endured a dismal first season in charge of Juve after replacing Maurizio Sarri. Not only did they relinquish their nine-season stranglehold on the Serie A title to Inter, but they were dumped out of the Champions League at the last-16 stage by Porto. 

    While the decision could yet be taken out of his hands, first-year boss Pirlo insisted he has no plans to step down from his role.

    "No, I won't step aside," he told Sky Sport Italia. "I took this role with a great deal of enthusiasm amid certain difficulties. 

    "I am at the disposal of the club. There are still three games to go, so I will continue doing my work as long as I am allowed to."

    Brahim Diaz, Ante Rebic and Fikayo Tomori were on target for a dominant Milan, who could even afford the luxury of a missed Franck Kessie penalty with the score at 1-0. 

    Juve have now conceded in each of their last 11 league games – their worst streak since April 2010. 

    While Pirlo accepted responsibility for his side's failings this season, he suggested he was not given what he was promised by the club.  

    "I had a different project in my mind and thought I would have a different group at my disposal," Pirlo added. 

    "I had been working on some concepts, but then I had to make changes in order to suit their characteristics and had to adapt."

    Asked if his side are resistant to change, he said: "It's not that this team is resistant to change, but if you have some things in your mind and they become more difficult with certain players.

    "If I cannot get the best out of these players, that is my fault and I certainly need to do better.

    "If something didn't go right, I take responsibility. This squad is made up of great players, clearly something did not work."

    Juve have the chance to return to winning ways when they travel to Sassuolo on Wednesday.

  • Pioli turns attention to Torino after thumping Juve Pioli turns attention to Torino after thumping Juve

    Stefano Pioli warned his Milan players against complacency after they took a significant stride towards Champions League qualification with a resounding 3-0 win over top-four rivals Juventus on Sunday. 

    Brahim Diaz opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time before Franck Kessie missed the opportunity to double their advantage shortly before the hour mark, when Wojciech Szczesny pawed away his penalty. 

    It mattered little in the end, though, as substitute Ante Rebic and Fikayo Tomori sealed a first away Serie A win against the Bianconeri since March 2011 inside the final 12 minutes. 

    The victory was Milan's 14th away from home in the league this season, with only Inter in 2006-07 (15) registering more in a single campaign in the history of the competition. 

    Pioli was thrilled with his side's efforts, but says they need to quickly turn their focus to Wednesday, when they return to Turin to face Torino. 

    "This was a team that believed, that showed a spirit of sacrifice, that gave it's all and showed quality, too," he told Sky Sport Italia.  

    "We want to thank our fans, who really moved us this morning with their support, but now we have another game coming up and that might be even more difficult than this."

    The win moved the Rossoneri up to third in the table, three points above Juve, who dropped down to fifth with just three games remaining. 

    Pioli hailed the determination of his team after they scored three goals away to Juve for the first time since January 2010. 

    "We have had big wins this season, but admittedly this was a head-to-head, with the table so tight and so much in the balance," he added. "Unfortunately, it is not the final game of the season so we still have to keep going.

    "When it comes to determination, team spirit and preparation to sacrifice, we were perhaps the best team in Italy for a long period of time.

    "There was inevitably some mental fatigue after a long campaign, but we knew that today we had to step it up and put in a different performance.

    "When it was time to make challenges and fight for every ball, we did not hold back."

    Rebic replaced Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the 66th minute, the Sweden international limping off with a knee injury. 

    Pioli, though, is confident it is nothing serious. 

    "Zlatan was not at 100 per cent, he had half a training session with us on Friday, but he wanted to be here at all costs," he said. 

    "He has a sore knee, but I don't think it's anything serious. We'll evaluate it."

  • Real Madrid 2-2 Sevilla: Dramatic equaliser not enough to keep title in Los Blancos' hands Real Madrid 2-2 Sevilla: Dramatic equaliser not enough to keep title in Los Blancos' hands

    Real Madrid will require a helping hand if they are to defend their LaLiga crown despite Toni Kroos' late deflected strike rescuing a 2-2 draw at home to Sevilla, whose own hopes now appear over.

    Ivan Rakitic had seemingly secured Sevilla a win that would have blown the title race wide open by scoring a late penalty, but deep into second-half stoppage time Kroos saw a hopeful shot hit Diego Carlos, who was unfortunate to see the ball end up in his own net.

    Sevilla had taken the lead in the first half thanks to a lovely goal from Fernando, and they were good value for it against a Madrid side that still appeared to be labouring from their Champions League disappointment in midweek – their only moment of excitement coming via a disallowed Karim Benzema header.

    They improved in the second period and levelled through Marco Asensio, that goal looking like the catalyst they needed to claim the win that would have put them top, but a switch that saw VAR overturn a Madrid spot-kick because of an incident in the opposing area left Zinedine Zidane's side in trouble.

    Although able to cancel out Rakitic's successful kick, the result does Los Blancos little good as they are left two points adrift of leaders Atletico Madrid with just three games remaining.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.