Allegri opens up on Real Madrid talks, praises Zidane 'masterclass'

By Sports Desk July 06, 2020

Massimiliano Allegri says he had contact with Real Madrid over becoming their head coach two years ago, but wanted to stay loyal to Juventus.

The former Milan boss spent five successful years in charge of Juve prior to his exit at the end of last season.

After Zinedine Zidane left Madrid following the 2017-18 campaign, the club had short spells with Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari in charge.

Allegri was one of the other options pursued by the club and the Italian thanked Madrid president Florentino Perez for his interest at the time.

Madrid ultimately turned back to Zidane in March 2019.

"Two years ago, there was contact, but nothing came of it because I had a contract with Juve," Allegri said to Marca about Madrid's interest.

"Furthermore, I had a strong moral commitment to the club and its fans."

Allegri was asked what he likes most about the work Zidane is doing at Santiago Bernabeu, with a LaLiga title on the horizon as the delayed 2019-20 season nears its conclusion.

"The strength he has had in finding the indispensable balance of a team so full of class and talent," Allegri said.

"For me, the positioning of Casemiro has been a tactical masterclass from Zizou."

Discussing his own future, Allegri continued: "I've been charging my batteries [since leaving Juve] and enjoying time with my family and my city, Livorno, with my lifelong friends.

"I don't really care [if my next job is in Italy or abroad]. I'm looking for a club to share a project with and which has the ambition to compete to win."

And when questioned over whether he would like to coach in LaLiga, Allegri added: "Who in their right mind would say no to this question? No one.

"There is more pleasure of playing in LaLiga, no matter the result. After conceding a goal, the team keeps playing as if nothing has happened. 

"In Italy, on the other hand, there is much more love and attention for the details of the game and tactics. The brain almost always wins out over the heart, in general.

"[Italian football is more difficult] because of what I said before. The player doesn't have much freedom to enjoy themselves in a purely instinctive way and this sometimes makes it difficult."

Related items

  • Messi will retire at Barcelona in three or four years - Bartomeu Messi will retire at Barcelona in three or four years - Bartomeu

    Lionel Messi will retire as a Barcelona player in "three or four years", according to club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi has a contract at Camp Nou until the end of the 2020-21 season, but Bartomeu last month said he expects the superstar forward to sign an extension.

    The 33-year-old has been linked with a return to boyhood club Newell's Old Boys before hanging up his boots.

    However, Bartomeu has no doubt Barca's all-time leading goalscorer Messi will end his career with the Catalan giants, which could happen by 2023.

    "It's not just me who says it. Messi says it himself, that he wants to finish his professional playing career at Barcelona and it's the only club for him," Bartomeu told beIN SPORTS.

    "I don't have any doubt that when he finishes his football career in three or four years that it will be here in Barcelona.

    "Messi has it very clear. He's been here since he was a kid. He knows the colours and he's a part of the club's history.

    "He's the best player in the world. Not just right now, but in the history of the game. He's at Barcelona and has made clear he wants to stay here."

    Another priority for Bartomeu is tying goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen down to a new contract, as his existing deal has just two years left on it.

    "Marc is an excellent player and person, he has always shown that as a goalkeeper," said Bartomeu.

    "With the current situation with COVID-19, he said, 'Let's hope everything is calmer to talk about it in the future.' But his future is to renew with Barca.

    "We have a goalkeeper for many years because he is young. When everything passes, we will talk with Marc to finalise his renewal."

    Despite being yet to play a game for Barca, Francisco Trincao and Pedri have been linked with exits from Camp Nou.

    Trincao is reportedly a target for Leicester City, while Bayern Munich are said to have an interest in Pedri.

    Bartomeu has no plans to sell either player as Barca prepare for the future with a new generation of talent.

    "Trincao and Pedri are not for sale," he said. "Young players are coming who will be the stars in a few years."

  • De Bruyne can make three or four assists a game - Jesus lauds Man City's main man De Bruyne can make three or four assists a game - Jesus lauds Man City's main man

    Gabriel Jesus feels Manchester City have let down their assist king Kevin De Bruyne this season. 

    Jesus and De Bruyne were on target during the second half when City beat Real Madrid 2-1 at the Santiago Bernabeu back in February. 

    The long-awaited second leg of the Champions League last-16 tie takes place behind closed doors at the Etihad Stadium on Friday. 

    De Bruyne heads into the contest after a stunning domestic season where he matched Thierry Henry's Premier League record of 20 assists in a single campaign. 

    Still, Brazil striker Jesus feels that number could have been much higher, insisting City were frequently wasteful in front of goal despite scoring 102 times in the league. 

    "I think every game he can make three or four assists for us," he told the club's website. 

    "This season we miss a lot of goals, if not Kevin would have 30 assists. He is so good. 

    "He has so much quality and he always looks to the strikers. It is so good playing with him."

    Praise has not always been so forthcoming for Jesus, who is likely to lead the City attack in Sergio Aguero's injury absence against the LaLiga champions. 

    The 23-year-old did impress, however, in the initial clash – deployed on the left-flank to fine effect in an experimental 4-4-2 system that featured De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva as false nines until the closing stages. 

    "I don't think it is my best performance," Jesus said. "It was a top game. I scored and helped the team and that's why people say that.

    "They [Madrid] played so good. It is so difficult to go there and play against them.

    "We suffered in the first 15-20 minutes and after we played well. We started to play our football and after we came back and could have scored three.

    "We played so good with the ball, but without the ball we played one of the best games I have seen since I came to play here."

  • Bale out of Man City clash but suspended Ramos is included in Real Madrid travelling squad Bale out of Man City clash but suspended Ramos is included in Real Madrid travelling squad

    Gareth Bale has been left out of the Real Madrid squad for the Champions League trip to Manchester City.

    The Wales star was not named in the 24-man travelling group, but captain Sergio Ramos, who is suspended for the last-16 second leg, was included.

    James Rodriguez was also left out, along with striker Mariano Diaz, who tested positive for coronavirus last week and has been self-isolating.

    Eden Hazard is in the squad despite concerns over his fitness following an ankle injury, while Luka Jovic, who has started just one Champions League game for Madrid, is also included.

    Madrid are trailing 2-1 from the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Bale's stock under head coach Zinedine Zidane appears to have dropped to its lowest point in 2020, the former Tottenham forward having featured just twice since the Spanish season resumed in June.

    Team-mate Casemiro insisted this week that Bale still has the support of Madrid's coaches and players despite going through "not the best time in his career".

    Bale has caused some consternation in Spain for his attitude on the sidelines in recent weeks. He has often appeared bored during games and was distant from some of the title celebrations when Madrid were crowned champions last month.

    However, his agent, Jonathan Barnett, told BBC Sport that the player "likes living in Madrid and he is going nowhere", and is keen to see out the remaining two years on his contract.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.