Guardiola wishes Sane well as winger's move to 'fantastic' Bayern draws near

By Sports Desk July 01, 2020

Pep Guardiola wished Leroy Sane all the best at "fantastic" Bayern Munich as he confirmed the Germany winger's return to the Bundesliga is almost done.

Stats Perform News understands a fee was agreed between the clubs on Tuesday, with the Germany international to cost an initial €49million (£44.5m), rising to €60m (£54.5m) and he is expected in Munich on Wednesday.

It brings a four-year stay in the Premier League to an end and will leave a overriding sense of what might have been – the 24-year-old missed virtually all of 2019-20 due to a serious knee injury.

Prior to that he had shown immense abilities in back-to-back Premier League title triumphs for City, winning the Professional Footballers' Association's (PFA) Young Player of the Year award in 2017-18.

But Bayern had emerged as suitors last year before his knee injury and, with his City contract set to expire next year, the Bundesliga champions have managed to secured a cut-price deal.

While the move is not yet complete, Guardiola confirmed it is close and he wished the former Schalke talent well.

"It looks like it," Guardiola said of Sane joining Bayern in Wednesday's news conference ahead of facing Liverpool on Thursday.

"It's not already done, there are still some little issues, but it looks like he'll go to Munich. I wish him all the best.

"I give him big thanks for these years together and I wish him all the best in a fantastic club.

"He wants to leave - everyone has their own life. I would have loved him to stay here, but he decided to leave, he thinks he'll be better and happier, so I've nothing to say."

Sane's absence has been seen viewed as a reason for City's inability to challenge Liverpool for the Premier League title this season, with the Reds wrapping it up with a 23-point cushion last week.

Guardiola admits Liverpool have simply been the better team, but he vowed to ensure the Reds "feel" 2020-21, as he plots to overthrow Jurgen Klopp's men.

"First of all, there was a team that was better, they played at an outstanding level in every game and you have to do more," he said.

"The supporters help you understand, it's an incredible part of our education to accept another is better, then you have to try to reduce this gap. From the last game to the future seven eight, nine games left through to next season, we must work harder and do better.

"We are going to make Liverpool feel next season, and other opponents will try to fight for the next chapters in the Premier League as well."

Related items

  • Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest

    Ciro Immobile is ready to welcome David Silva to Lazio with open arms and revealed an approach from Newcastle United, who he claimed wanted to hire Massimiliano Allegri or Luciano Spalletti. 

    Manchester City great Silva is to depart the Premier League club after a 10-year association upon the completion of their Champions League campaign, which continues with a quarter-final tie against Lyon on Saturday. 

    Reports in Italy suggest the Spanish playmaker's move to Rome is practically done, with Lazio offering him a three-year contract to move to Serie A. 

    Lazio striker Immobile is excited at the prospect of linking up with the 2010 World Cup winner.  

    "He's a great player and has great experience, we are waiting for him with open arms," Immobile said in an extensive interview with Corriere dello Sport. 

    "I can't wait for him to arrive, we are Lazio fans before Lazio players." 

    Immobile is coming off a sublime individual campaign in which his 36 Serie A goals matched the competition record set by Gonzalo Higuain, who achieved the feat in the 2015-16 campaign. 

    The Italy striker says he is now ready to finish his career at Lazio amid the possibility of a contract extension at the club. 

    "I'm waiting for them to call me. I intend to tie myself to Lazio forever. What Lazio has given me and is giving me is priceless," Immobile added. 

    "The renewal will be three years, so the contract will expire in 2025, when I turn 35." 

    While Immobile has no plans to depart, he revealed there was interest in taking him to Newcastle amid a potential takeover at the Premier League club. 

    The Magpies were the subject of a proposed £300million purchase, led by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, but the bid was withdrawn due to what was described by the potential new owners as “an unforeseen prolonged process”. 

    Immobile also stated Newcastle wanted to bring in an Italian coach, with ex-Juve boss Allegri among consideration. 

    "During the period in which there was talk of the possible acquisition of Newcastle by a sheikh fund, they called my agent Alessandro Moggi," Immobile said.  

    "Then the Premier did not pass the proposal, the fund was withdrawn. I know they were also looking for an Italian coach, Allegri or Spalletti."

  • Sturridge wants Premier League return: I have unfinished business Sturridge wants Premier League return: I have unfinished business

    Daniel Sturridge has "unfinished business" in the Premier League and is desperate to return to England's top flight. 

    The 30-year-old is without a club having left Trabzonspor in March, as he was unable to play for them due to a four-month ban for breaching the Football Association's betting regulations. 

    Ex-Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City striker Sturridge has scored 76 goals in 218 Premier League appearances and, although he remains open to playing in other countries, is looking to find a home in England again. 

    "We have options around the world but I'm an English player and I've always loved playing in the Premier League," Sturridge told Sky Sports. 

    "I believe I've got a lot to give to the Premier League and I would say that's my first choice. I do feel I have unfinished business so I would like to go back and play there. 

    "I'm open to playing in other leagues, it's not just the Premier League I'm going to consider, but to come back to England and give my best would be a huge option for me. 

    "I'm very excited, I'm hungrier than ever and I'm totally focused on the next chapter."

    Sturridge has been keeping fit at his Los Angeles base and believes his status as a free agent makes him an attractive proposition for any potential suitors.

    "I'd like to think I'm one of the better options for teams," he added.

    "I'm a free agent and I've played for a lot of top clubs around the world. I'm just ready to help a team be successful and to be a big part of their plans.

    "I believe there's a lot left in these legs. Although I've been around a long time, I would say that there's miles on the clock but this vehicle has a lot left."

  • Heracles 'welcome' Havertz after Bosz's quip about Chelsea target Heracles 'welcome' Havertz after Bosz's quip about Chelsea target

    Bayer Leverkusen's defeat in the Europa League quarter-finals may be no laughing matter but that has not stopped the jokes surrounding Kai Havertz's future.

    The Bundesliga side were defeated 2-1 by Inter on Monday to crash out at the quarter-final stage of a competition that is being completed in Germany.

    It did not take long following the match for questions to be posed about Germany star Havertz, who is strongly rumoured to be close to completing a move to Premier League side Chelsea.

    Leverkusen coach Peter Bosz could not resist the temptation to have a little fun when he said Havertz is heading off to join Dutch side Heracles Almelo, a side Bosz has coached twice.

    "Yes, I can exclusively announce he'll play for Heracles Almelo," Bosz joked at his post-match news conference.

    Heracles themselves then joined in the fun, mocking up a photo of Havertz in the club's jersey accompanied by a "welcome" message.

    "Welkom Kai #AnnounceHavertz," read a post on Twitter, with a customary eyes emoji for good measure.

    Chelsea have long been chasing Havertz, though the two clubs are seemingly at an impasse with the Blues said to favour a structured deal that starts at £70million.

    Speaking last week, sporting director Rudi Voller warned there is no "COVID discount" for Leverkusen's prized asset.

    "We know of the interest of a couple of clubs, especially Chelsea, but for us, the situation is quite simple: he has a two-year contract, if anyone wants him on our terms, fine, otherwise he stays here another year and we are happy," Voller told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

    "It won't be easy, but for an artist like him there is no COVID discount."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.