Chiesa can leave Fiorentina if valuation is met – Commisso

By Sports Desk June 06, 2020

Fiorentina president Rocco Commisso said Federico Chiesa can leave if the club's valuation is met amid reported interest from Serie A and Premier League clubs.

Chiesa is a player in demand following his exploits for Fiorentina, with Italian champions Juventus, Inter, Manchester United and Chelsea among the teams linked.

The 22-year-old Italy international, who emerged from Fiorentina's youth system in 2016, had managed six goals and three assists in 23 Serie A appearances prior to the coronavirus pandemic halting the season.

Fiorentina owner Commisso has already said he is open to selling Chiesa if the forward wishes to depart and he reiterated his stance on Saturday.

"If Chiesa wants, then he can leave, but only for the figure that we set," Commisso told reporters.

"It's a different matter for Gaetano Castrovilli [the Fiorentina midfielder has also attracted interest], as he told me that he wants to remain in Florence.

"If Chiesa does go, then Castrovilli can have the Number 10 jersey."

Fiorentina – 13th in the table at the time of postponement – are set to resume their 2019-20 campaign at home to Brescia on June 22.

Related items

  • Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation Cristiano Ronaldo's close shave: Juventus star dons new buzz cut look as he trains alone during isolation

    Cristiano Ronaldo showed off a daring new look on Wednesday as he continued to train even while isolating with coronavirus.

    The Juventus forward has been restricted to his home in Turin since contracting COVID-19 during the international break.

    Ronaldo missed Portugal's Nations League win over Sweden, along with Juve's draw at Crotone and Champions League victory against Dynamo Kiev.

    The Bianconeri will be keen to have their talisman back in action and, based on a video shared on social media, he is likewise raring to go.

    Ronaldo posted a clip filmed from outside a glass room in which he was training on a treadmill, and he is evidently not just keeping trim by working out given the new shaved-head look Juve's number seven was sporting.

    He quoted: "Success in life is not measured by what you achieve, but by the obstacles you overcome."

    In response to claims he had broken coronavirus rules last week, Ronaldo had revealed he was staying on a different floor to his family and had been sunbathing indoors.

  • Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops Man Utd committed to 'making the English game stronger' as annual revenue drops

    Ed Woodward revealed Manchester United are committed to "playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid" as the club revealed the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

    United announced results for the 2019-20 financial year on Wednesday, including a £70million drop in revenue as it counts the cost of the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis. 

    The club posted total revenue of £509m, a significant dip on the initial forecast of £560m-£580m.

    It comes a year on from a record £627.1m figure, albeit a drop was always expected without Champions League football. 

    Net debt has risen to £474.1m, an increase of £270.5m over the course of the year, as broadcasting revenue dropped to £140.2m. 

    United's commercial revenue increased by £3.9m to £279m, while a £23m dividend was paid out. A six-month extension to the shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet was also announced, meaning the partnership will run through until December 2021. 

    Exceptional costs for the prior year were £19.6m, attributed to the departure of former boss Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff.

    Prior to a conference call with investors, a statement from executive vice-chairman Woodward said the club will "drive forward" the strategic vision for the future of English football, having been at the forefront of the Project Big Picture proposal that was unanimously rejected by the Premier League.

    United and Liverpool, the two clubs at the centre of the Big Picture plan, have also been in talks over the creation of a breakaway European Premier League, Sky News reported on Tuesday.

    "Our focus remains on protecting the health of our colleagues, fans and community while adapting to the significant economic ramifications of the pandemic. Within that context, our top priority is to get fans back into the stadium safely and as soon as possible," Woodward said in a statement.

    "We are also committed to playing a constructive role in helping the wider football pyramid through this period of adversity, while exploring options for making the English game stronger and more sustainable in the long term.

    "This requires strategic vision and leadership from all stakeholders, and we look forward to helping drive forward that process in a timely manner.

    "On the pitch, we have strengthened the team over the summer and we remain committed to our objective of winning trophies, playing entertaining, attacking football with a blend of academy graduates and high-quality recruits, while carefully managing our resources to protect the long-term resilience of the club."

  • Figo: European Premier League would destroy football Figo: European Premier League would destroy football

    Luis Figo has called on "everyone" in football to oppose a potential European Premier League, saying the competition would "destroy football as we know it".

    A Sky News report on Tuesday claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were among clubs in England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain to hold talks over a breakaway competition.

    Wall Street bank JP Morgan is said to have prepared a $6billion (£4.6bn/€5.1bn) funding package, while FIFA was reported to have given its support to the proposals.

    The alleged plan follows failed attempts from the same two elite Premier League clubs to push through Project Big Picture, which would have secured increased voting rights on matters in England for 'big six' clubs.

    As with Project Big Picture, though, the mooted European Premier League has been met with opposition.

    Former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter winger Figo, who briefly ran for FIFA presidency in 2015, has added his voice.

    Responding to comments from ex-United captain Gary Neville, who described the idea as "another wound for football", Figo made his displeasure clear.

    "What I read about this Super League idea will destroy football as we know it," said the 127-cap Portugal international, who retired at Inter in 2009.

    "It's all about greed and keeping the game for a few elite clubs, while killing the other clubs and leagues that fans love.

    "Football should unite! Everyone should oppose it!"

    Figo's decision not to continue with his pursuit of the FIFA presidency five years ago came due to his refusal to "go along with" a process that delivers "absolute power to one man".

    European football's governing body and Champions League organisers UEFA had opposed a potential "super league" on Tuesday, saying the competition would "inevitably become boring".

    The existing Champions League structure is set to be revamped after the 2023-24 campaign, with plenty of posturing around the elite club game in Europe focused upon what shape this might take, although the backers of the European Premier League purportedly have ambitions to launch as early as 2022.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.