Werner to Chelsea?: RB Leipzig CEO Mintzlaff denies talks with Blues

By Sports Desk June 06, 2020

RB Leipzig CEO Oliver Mintzlaff says there has been no contact with Chelsea over Timo Werner despite reports of the Premier League club agreeing a deal for the forward.

It is claimed the Blues have triggered Werner's release clause, thought to be in the region of £54million (€60m), to win the race for his signature.

However, Mintzlaff would not be drawn on those suggestions while speaking to Sky Sport. 

Mintzlaff said: "We are concentrating on the final sprint of the league. We want to go to the Champions League. That is the only thing we are currently discussing with Timo.

"It was important for us that we extend the contract with him. We did that last summer, because of course it is important for our young club that no player moves free of charge.

"Of course, there was this exit clause that we put in the contract to give him the opportunity to take the next step.

"Now Timo Werner is sitting in the driver's seat, not us anymore. So far, Werner has not exercised the clause, nor has any club sent us a transfer contract.

"We haven't had an exchange [with Chelsea] yet. Accordingly, we have nothing to report. Timo Werner is a player for RB Leipzig. He signalled a few weeks ago that he was busy with a transfer. Right now nothing is dry."

Mintzlaff was also asked about whether they would continue in this season's Champions League, which had seen half of the last-16 ties completed when the coronavirus pandemic brought the campaign to a halt, with Werner in the event of a transfer being confirmed.

"We can only discuss when we know when the Champions League is going to take place," he replied. "It won't be decided until mid-June."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City still in Koulibaly talks, Wolves to sign Barca's Semedo Rumour Has It: Man City still in Koulibaly talks, Wolves to sign Barca's Semedo

    Will Manchester City finally land Kalidou Koulibaly?

    Pep Guardiola's City want defensive reinforcements and Napoli centre-back Koulibaly is reportedly at the top of the list.

    If they are unsuccessful, Sevilla's Jules Kounde is next on the list.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY NOT GIVING UP KOULIBALY

    Manchester City are still in talks with Napoli to sign star defender Kalidou Koulibaly, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

    City have been tipped to sign Koulibaly, who has also been linked to Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, City are yet to reach an agreement with Napoli and Sevilla's Jules Kounde is the "backup option" but a bid has already been turned down.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Romano says Wolves will complete the signing of Barcelona full-back Nelson Semedo on Monday. It comes as Barca eye Ajax defender Sergino Dest or Real Betis' Emerson to replace Semedo. Norwich City's Max Aarons has also been linked.

    Milan have made Fiorentina's Nikola Milenkovic their number one defensive target ahead of Celtic centre-back Kristoffer Ajer, reports the Daily Record.

    - Calciomercato claims Juventus are eyeing Real Madrid full-back Marcelo. The Brazilian has been repeatedly linked with a Cristiano Ronaldo reunion in Turin.

    - The Telegraph says PSG are interested in Tottenham's Dele Alli. Out of favour under Jose Mourinho, Spurs are reportedly targeting Manchester United's Jesse Lingard as a replacement.

    Roma remain interested in Napoli's Arkadiusz Milik but Madrid outcast Luka Jovic has emerged as 'Plan B', according to Calciomercato.

    Leeds United are out of the race to sign Dinamo Zagreb sensation Josko Gvardiol, reports Romano. Wanted by Marcelo Bielsa, the Croatian teenager is now set for Bundesliga outfit RB Leipzig.

  • Juventus not signing Barca's Suarez, insists Paratici Juventus not signing Barca's Suarez, insists Paratici

    Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed Barcelona star Luis Suarez will not be joining the Serie A champions, while insisting the club are not only eyeing Roma striker Edin Dzeko.

    Reportedly told he can leave embattled LaLiga giants Barca, veteran forward Suarez had been heavily linked with Cristiano Ronaldo's Juve following Gonzalo Higuain's move to David Beckham's Inter Miami in MLS.

    But a delay in securing an Italian passport for the 33-year-old Uruguay international has scuppered those plans, Paratici confirmed prior to Sunday's season-opening 3-0 win over Sampdoria.

    "Suarez can be removed from that list, because the time it takes to get the passport is longer than the transfer deadline or the moment we can hand in the Champions League lists," said Paratici, whose Juve have already filled their non-European quota.

    "We evaluated the Suarez option when it was proposed to us. He was in the process of getting Italian citizenship, so we evaluated the possibility of registering him in time.

    "It is not possible, so he was never really close."

    While Suarez is off the list, Juve – led by rookie head coach Andrea Pirlo – continue to be linked with Roma's Dzeko.

    Dzeko's proposed move to Juve is reportedly tied to Roma signing Napoli forward Arkadiusz Milik as a replacement in the Italian capital.

    Amid uncertainty over this future, Dzeko was an unused substitute in Roma's goalless draw at Hellas Verona on Saturday.

    "Let's say there isn't a Dzeko situation, it's a striker situation, as Juventus need a centre-forward," Paratici said as Juve reportedly try to re-sign Moise Kean from Everton. "We know what we want and are working towards that calmly, there are 15 days to go in the transfer window and we're in no rush.

    "There are other situations, not just Dzeko. We know what we want. We're working for a striker who can work with Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala.

    "At this moment, we are seeking one striker, we have our objectives and will try to pursue them calmly, regardless of the names."

  • Klopp hails 'outstanding' Fabinho performance against Chelsea Klopp hails 'outstanding' Fabinho performance against Chelsea

    Jurgen Klopp lauded Fabinho for an "outstanding" performance at centre-back in Liverpool's 2-0 Premier League win over Chelsea on Sunday.

    With Joe Gomez and Joel Matip injured, Fabinho moved into the centre of defence alongside Virgil van Dijk and produced a fine display at Stamford Bridge.

    Sadio Mane's second-half brace lifted Liverpool to a second straight win to begin the Premier League season, with the attacker earlier brought down by Andreas Christensen that led to the defender being sent off.

    Klopp hailed Fabinho for his performance, although Liverpool needed a penalty save from Alisson to deny Jorginho to keep their clean sheet.

    "If Sadio wouldn't have scored two goals, I think Fab would be a proper contender for man of the match," the Liverpool manager told a news conference.

    "I loved his performance, he played outstanding. He helped us a lot with the ball and in defending as well, so yes, a proper performance."

    Fabinho made a game-high four interceptions and gained possession 12 times, while completing 86 of his 89 passes.

    In a further boost for Liverpool, Thiago Alcantara made his debut, replacing Jordan Henderson at half-time.

    But Mane starred with his brace and Klopp said the attacker's second goal, when he dispossessed Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, highlighter Liverpool's hunger.

    "It says everything about that and it says everything about the team as well. I love that because we have these situations quite a lot – that we chase the goalie," he said.

    "I think in the first half Sadio was really close to blocking it there already but you just have to do it. I love it when we get the rewards for these kinds of situations.

    "The first goal was a nice piece of football, everybody involved pretty much. [Roberto] Firmino cross and then Sadio comes in front of his man, so it's really difficult to defend. Good goal and gave the game the right direction. That's exactly what we have to show all the time, that's what we wanted to show today.

    "I saw us today, I saw us playing football today and I'm completely fine with that. I loved it."

    Liverpool face Lincoln City in the EFL Cup on Thursday before hosting Arsenal in the Premier League four days later.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.