Alaba suggests movement on Bayern extension 'in the coming weeks'

By Sports Desk May 30, 2020

David Alaba suggested there could be movement on a possible contract extension at Bayern Munich in the coming weeks. 

After Manuel Neuer was recently tied down to fresh terms, Bayern boss Hansi Flick said on Monday he is keen to retain the services of Alaba. 

The versatile Austria international's existing deal is due to expire at the end of next season. 

According to reports, Bayern are willing to offer Alaba a contract until 2025, but the defender's salary demands have led to an impasse with talks more difficult to conduct during the coronavirus pandemic. 

Alaba confirmed he would be happy to stay at the Allianz Arena but is in no rush to get the situation sorted. 

"Look, I try to focus on the essentials, on the games," Alaba told Sky. "It is very good for me. That is where my focus is entirely. 

"We have no deadline. We will see in the coming weeks what will happen next. At the moment, everything is calm." 

The 27-year-old was speaking after Bayern thrashed Fortuna Dusseldorf 5-0 at the Allianz Arena on Saturday to move 10 points clear at the Bundesliga summit, though Borussia Dortmund could cut that back to seven by beating Paderborn on Sunday. 

An own goal from Mathias Jorgensen set them on their way after 15 minutes, with Benjamin Pavard and Robert Lewandowski also on target before half-time. 

Lewandowski added a second before Alphonso Davies rounded off the scoring two minutes later in an emphatic victory. 

"We are very, very ambitious. The mood in the team is really great," said Alaba. 

"We want to win every game, and you can see that too. We are keeping our foot on the gas." 

With converted winger Davies deployed at left-back, Alaba once again featured in the heart of defence. 

He launched a sweeping move that culminated in Lewandowski's first goal and, while he is happy to continue at centre-back, admitted he is still keen to play an attacking role for Bayern. 

"I try to help the team. It's fun to play on this team. I still have an urge to attack that I want to let happen," said Alaba. 

"[Davies] is a super boy. He always wants to learn, listens and enjoys developing himself further." 

Related items

  • Morata seals loan switch to Juventus Morata seals loan switch to Juventus

    Alvaro Morata has completed a return to Juventus on an initial one-year loan deal from Atletico Madrid, the clubs have announced.

    The Serie A champions confirmed the move on Tuesday, sealing Morata's services for a second spell.

    Juve will pay Atletico €10million, with the Italian club having an option to buy the 27-year-old striker for €45m or pay another €10m to loan him for a further campaign.

    Should the Bianconeri opt to extend the loan, they will be able to purchase Morata for €35m at the end of the 2021-22 season.

    A Juve statement read: "Memory albums are there to be opened, to reminisce upon old moments, but also to add new ones and we can’t wait to create many more memories, together once more!

    "Even though Alvaro left the club four years ago, after having won five trophies in two years: two Scudetti, two Coppe Italia, one Supercoppa Italiana, he has always remained Bianconero in his heart and his return will be as though he never even said goodbye."

    Morata scored 27 goals in 93 games across two seasons in Turin between 2014 and 2016.

    He then returned to Real Madrid for a year before joining Chelsea and later Atletico, where he netted 12 LaLiga goals in 34 games last term.

    With Gonzalo Higuain having left to join Inter Miami, Juve had been linked with Barcelona's Luis Suarez and Roma's Edin Dzeko.

    Morata's move could pave the way for Suarez to join Atletico.

    Juve have won nine consecutive Serie A titles and opened their campaign under Andrea Pirlo with a 3-0 win over Sampdoria on Sunday.

  • We didn't furlough staff - Lampard takes pride in Chelsea's COVID-19 response We didn't furlough staff - Lampard takes pride in Chelsea's COVID-19 response

    Frank Lampard says he is proud of the way Chelsea responded to the challenges caused by the coronavirus pandemic and called on the Premier League and its teams to do their bit to help those further down the English league system.

    It was confirmed by prime minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday that the planned returns of fans to stadiums in England, which was due to begin in phases from October 1, have been cancelled due to the rise in COVID-19 cases in the United Kingdom.

    The Premier League responded by noting its "disappointment" at the decision, arguing that "a code of conduct developed with scientific experts and agreed by the government's Sports Ground Safety Authority, fans in stadiums will be as safe or even safer than at any other public activity currently permitted".

    It added that £700million was lost by top-flight teams last season with the national game haemorrhaging about £100m a month as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc, with predictions over the futures of teams further down the Football League making for grim reading.

    During the early stages of the crisis, both Liverpool and Tottenham were criticised for originally stating they would take advantage of the government's furlough scheme before going back on the decision after a backlash, while Arsenal announced a host of redundancies despite making moves in the transfer market.

    Chelsea boss Lampard feels his club have led by example with their own response and expects the Premier League to do its part to ensure English football can navigate its way through unprecedented times.

    He said: "Firstly on a personal note and being manager of this team, this club, the pride I have in how it dealt with the COVID situation in the beginning, not furloughing staff, or mentioning we would furlough staff then retracting that statement, making the hotel at Chelsea into a hotel for NHS workers to stay in, making considerable donations to charity. I thought the club covered itself very well. 

    "In terms of football itself and the sport, I think it's important the Premier League as a collective looks at supporting the EFL and the leagues below and grassroots football, absolutely, because that's the base of why we're all here. 

    "I managed in the Championship and know the difficulties because I was very close to [Derby County owner] Mel Morris and I understand the difficulties clubs are having. 

    "I can't go too political because I don't know enough about the numbers but I do think clubs in the Premier League and the Premier League themselves have a heart and understand that. I'm sure as we move forward they'll make positive moves on that front."

    Chelsea are preparing to host Barnsley in the EFL Cup on Wednesday, a match that will take place just a day after Tottenham's trip to Leyton Orient was cancelled after several players from the League Two club tested positive for COVID-19.

    Teams in the EFL this season do not have to conduct mandatory coronavirus tests and it was put to Lampard – who confirmed Chelsea had paid for Barnsley's contingent to be tested – that inter-league competitions may be untenable this season.

    "The bigger political question is a difficult one because of the circumstances and, again, I don't know the numbers," he replied.

    "But if you want to isolate it to football and you want to talk about how teams in the Premier League can help clubs lower down in the leagues, we have paid for the tests for Barnsley, we're awaiting the results on that, we hope it's a positive answer in terms of negative results. 

    "I think it's a sign of clubs in the Premier League think it's the right thing to do. Competitions like the Carabao Cup are important because of where they are in the chain of football and I think it's right what we've done. It seems most Premier League clubs are doing."

  • Cech the benchmark for new signing Mendy - Lampard Cech the benchmark for new signing Mendy - Lampard

    Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has challenged goalkeeper Edouard Mendy to replicate Petr Cech's career at Stamford Bridge as he puts the finishing touches on his expected move from Rennes.

    Lampard confirmed Senegal international Mendy, 28, will join his squad subject to a medical and compete with the much-maligned Kepa Arrizabalaga to be the Blues' first-choice goalkeeper.

    Chelsea spent £71milliion on Kepa in 2018 - which remains a world-record fee for a keeper - but he was dropped last season following a string of errors and was at fault for Liverpool's second goal in the Blues' 2-0 defeat on Sunday, passing the ball straight to goalscorer Sadio Mane.

    Mendy will be following the journey Cech made when he signed from Rennes in 2004 and Lampard hopes he sees the Czech as an example after he won a slew of titles at the club, including four Premier Leagues, four FA Cups, three EFL Cups, a Champions League and a Europa League.

    "Every keeper has their journey," Lampard said ahead of the EFL Cup tie against Barnsley.

    "Petr Cech turned up as a young lad here, as a young goalkeeper from Ligue 1 in France, and created his own story here at the time with his own hard work and qualities, so that is the benchmark for any goalkeeper that comes to Chelsea to try and emulate.

    "It's very tough because of what Petr managed to do in his career here but everyone has that opportunity so that's the challenge, not just for Mendy but every player in the squad."

    Lampard explained he has an open-door policy with Kepa and has been keen to frequently speak to the 25-year-old during his rough spell, trying to cajole him back to form.

    "I think if you lack communication in these moments to speak with Kepa, to speak with any players that are having difficult times, they don't understand how you feel," he added.

    "They see that void as something that could be negative, so it's very important I speak to Kepa or any player in that situation and I have done, my door is open.

    "Having tough times comes to every player at any moment during a career and how you come back through them will define you in terms of your longevity and what you manage to achieve at the end of your career.

    "So I would always be very open with players. For me, what gets a player through low confidence is hard work, head down and hard work. No blame game, look at yourself, see how you can get better. That's the same for every player."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.