Rennes star Niang interested in Marseille move

By Sports Desk May 24, 2020

Rennes forward M'Baye Niang admitted he was interested in a move to Marseille after holding talks with the club.

Niang, 25, has been linked with a transfer after two impressive seasons with the Ligue 1 side, including scoring 15 goals in 36 games this campaign.

Marseille finished second when the Ligue 1 season was cancelled and could land the Senegal international, who talked up a potential switch.

"It is true that it is flattering. There is no smoke without fire," Niang told Canal+ on Sunday.

"Therefore, there were discussions but today, there is nothing concrete. I will not lie. I haven't signed and Marseille also have problems to solve.

"But if I have the sports project as I had in Rennes, for me lowering my salary a little doesn't bother me because I will take pleasure.

"Yes, it's a club that interests me. It's a club that has a great history, warm supporters that I like. If it has to be done, it will be with great pleasure.

"Whatever happens, Rennes will remain in my heart because it is a club that has revived me."

Niang initially joined Rennes on loan from Torino in 2018 before making the move permanently the following year.

Rennes reportedly paid €15million for Niang, who has scored 29 goals in 80 games in all competitions for the club.

Related items

  • Mourinho happy with striker options amid Ings speculation Mourinho happy with striker options amid Ings speculation

    Jose Mourinho has insisted he is happy with his striker options at Tottenham amid speculation linking the club with a move for Southampton star Danny Ings.

    Ings is reportedly a top target for Spurs with his contract due to expire in 18 months and the England international seeking Champions League football.

    Mourinho was adamant he would not directly respond to questions about Ings given he is employed by another club.

    But the Spurs boss is happy with his options at centre-forward, which include on-loan Benfica forward Carlos Vinicius.

    "Let's go bit by bit," Mourinho said.

    "[We have] two strikers, we are not a team that needs a third striker because the third striker is Sonny [Son Heung-min]. 

    "Of course we have the best [Harry Kane] and we are happy with Carlos.

    "Carlos is not our player, he is a Benfica player, but he is a player we are helping to develop and he is helping the team so we are happy with the situation.

    "Ings of course I refuse totally to say any word about him because he is a Southampton player and I respect that."

    Mourinho was also asked about reports linking Gedson Fernandes with Torino, having previously said the player's 18-month loan with the club could end early.

    Fernandes is, like Vinicius, on loan from Benfica, but the midfielder has not started a single Premier League game in a year at the club.

    "We don’t speak with other clubs," Mourinho said of the Torino reports.

    "We speak with Benfica. Since the moment where we felt that we were not giving to Gedson the possibilities of playing many matches, we felt that we didn't have the right to keep him. 

    "If he stays, great. Every time he plays he does always well. But we never felt the right to keep a player that is not our player and is not playing. 

    "Benfica knows we are open to cooperate with a friendly club like they are. If there is any other club involved, that I cannot confirm."

    Spurs are away to Championship side Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup fourth round on Monday.

  • Flick vows Bayern want to keep Premier League target Musiala Flick vows Bayern want to keep Premier League target Musiala

    Hansi Flick has promised Bayern Munich will look to keep Jamal Musiala after the teenage midfielder was linked with a Premier League move. 

    The England Under-21 player has entered the last 18 months of his youth contract with the Champions League winners and, after a major first-team breakthrough this season, he stands to be offered professional terms. 

    That could mean a bumper pay deal, with Bayern eager to retain Musiala for the long term. 

    However, reports have claimed Manchester United and Liverpool are among the clubs that have an eye on Musiala, who at 17 has scored three times in 13 Bundesliga appearances this term. 

    Only two of those appearances have been starts, and the youngster has impressed head coach Flick whenever he has been deployed. 

    Speaking in a news conference on Friday, Flick said: "Jamal has enormous qualities. 

    "He can find good one-on-one solutions and is self-confident. Even if he misses the pass every now and then. He's got the quality to play off the opponent and create options for the team. 

    "Bayern Munich are clearly interested in retaining him for longer." 

    Musiala, who was born in Stuttgart, joined Bayern from Chelsea in July 2019.

  • BREAKING NEWS: De Bruyne could miss up to six weeks, Guardiola confirms BREAKING NEWS: De Bruyne could miss up to six weeks, Guardiola confirms

    Manchester City will be without influential midfielder Kevin De Bruyne for between four to six weeks, manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.