I threw my phone – Daniel James reveals anger at missing out on Leeds move

By Sports Desk May 08, 2020

Manchester United attacker Daniel James revealed his anger when a move from Swansea City to Leeds United fell through in "crazy" fashion last year.

James, 22, was on the verge of joining Leeds in January 2019, just months before his switch to Old Trafford.

The 10-time Wales international said he had agreed to head to Leeds before the move fell through as the window closed.

"I got to Elland Road about 6pm, did all the pictures with my shirt, all the interviews, because they wanted it to go out in the morning, and then it was strange," James told former Swansea team-mate Kenji Gorre on the Living The Dream podcast.

"It got to about 9pm and I'd signed all the papers and then it was from club-to-club. I had people texting me saying, 'What's happening?' and I literally didn't know. It wasn't until 15 minutes to go until I thought, 'This might not happen now.'

"I ended up ringing the chairman [of Swansea] to ask him what's happening. It was all a bit crazy and then it wasn't done. I threw my phone.

"I thought it's not real. The chief exec of Leeds wasn't happy at the time, but then it was just a case of driving home. It was a very weird situation and I think it helped me in some ways."

James ended up finishing the season with Swansea before joining Manchester United for a reported £15million in June 2019.

He had scored four goals in 37 games in all competitions for United before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen Rumour Has It: Coutinho close to Arsenal move, Barcelona reach agreement with Ter Stegen

    Philippe Coutinho's move to Arsenal is seemingly getting close.

    The Brazil international has been on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona in 2019-20, but is expected to leave Camp Nou permanently.

    A return to the Premier League has been mooted.

     

    TOP STORY – ARSENAL DEAL FOR COUTINHO IS 'ADVANCED'

    A deal sending Coutinho to Arsenal from Barcelona is "more advanced", according to Sport.

    The former Liverpool star would head back to England less than three years after leaving Anfield.

    Coutinho has scored nine goals in 34 games for Bayern in 2019-20.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There could be good news coming for Barcelona. Mundo Deportivo reports Marc-Andre ter Stegen has agreed to extend his deal at the club for five years, but there is still no financial agreement between the parties.

    - Jerome Boateng's Bayern Munich future seems uncertain. Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sell the defender, who would like to extend his contract beyond 2021.

    - Takefusa Kubo looks set for another loan spell away from Real Madrid. AS reports Kubo will join Villarreal on loan for 2020-21, having spent this season at Mallorca.

    - Are Liverpool looking for a back-up for Andy Robertson? The Athletic reports the Premier League champions value left-back Jamal Lewis at £10million, but Norwich City will not even enter talks for less than £20m.

    - Contracted at Manchester United until 2022, Tahith Chong could be heading elsewhere to gain experience. Sport Bild says Werder Bremen are in talks with United over a loan deal for the attacker.

    - After losing the Championship play-off final, Brentford may also see a star depart. The Guardian reports Crystal Palace are battling with Aston Villa to sign Ollie Watkins, who scored 26 goals in 49 Championship games in 2019-20.

  • Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke

    Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insisted there had been "no contact" with Manchester United about Jadon Sancho.

    Sancho, 20, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League giants, with recent reports suggesting a £108.5million (€120m) deal was close.

    However, Watzke dismissed those reports, saying there had been no contact between the clubs regarding the England international.

    "So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung on Wednesday.

    "Also not directly or through alleged intermediaries."

    United are reportedly prepared to walk away from the Sancho deal amid an unwillingness to meet Dortmund's asking price.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said he expected Sancho to be at the club in 2020-21.

    "I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

  • Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte

    Antonio Conte was delighted to welcome the imminent news of Alexis Sanchez's permanent transfer to Inter after helping the forward recover from "the worst moment of his career". 

    Inter are set to announce the deal for Sanchez from Manchester United on a three-year deal on Thursday, though the move was revealed prior to their Europa League clash with beat Getafe. 

    The Chile international endured a dismal 18-month spell at Old Trafford before leaving United on loan at the start of this season, recovering both form and fitness at San Siro. 

    Nerazzurri CEO Giuseppe Marotta confirmed the situation regarding Sanchez's future in a media interview prior to the Getafe match on Wednesday. 

    And speaking after a 2-0 win that sent Inter through to the last eight, the transfer had raised head coach Conte's spirits. 

    "I think the Sanchez transfer is a very good move by the club," Conte told Sky Italia. "Considering the conditions in which we managed to get Alexis, it was a really good transfer. 

    "The club deserve credit because he came at the worst moment of his career. He arrived after two difficult years when he was really struggling at United and then got injured with us. 

    "We took the time to get him back on track, so it is only right for Inter to enjoy it and reap the rewards of that effort." 

    Sanchez was a second-half substitute against Getafe in what had been set to be the final match of his loan stint. 

    Former United striker Romelu Lukaku opened the scoring before half-time, with Christian Eriksen clinching progress to the quarter-finals with a late second goal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.