Neymar and Lautaro Martinez would be welcome at Barcelona - Suarez

By Sports Desk April 08, 2020

Luis Suarez views Barcelona's reported interest in fellow forwards Neymar and Lautaro Martinez as an encouraging sign.

Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar continues to be linked with a return to Camp Nou having won two LaLiga titles and a Champions League playing alongside Suarez during his previous stint at the club.

He is not the only striker reportedly on Barca's radar, though, with Inter's Martinez another attacker thought to be considered an intriguing prospect to the Blaugrana hierarchy.

Rather than see such speculation as a threat to his place in the team, Suarez has given his approval to those pursuits.

"It is difficult to talk about players today," he told Mundo Deportivo. 

"As is the situation in the world today, talking about who can come because of how everything is complicated. But I can speak about what these players are like and they are huge players. 

"Obviously, Ney, everyone knows him and we know the appreciation that we have for him in the dressing room, which as a player is indisputable because he still has a lot to give and in the dressing room he would always be welcome because of the affection he has. 

"Lautaro is a player who has been growing a lot in Italy, he is a 'nine' who has movements that are spectacular and that reflects how great a striker he is. 

"It is not that you feel compatible but that you feel happy that the club wants to incorporate players who come to help and fulfil the same objective of everyone - that of wanting to win everything. 

"Then when it comes to healthy competition in the team, which there will always, we will always be on the same side. 

"So players who come to fight for a place and help the team will always be welcome, it will always be better and it will strengthen the group."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano Rumour Has It: Liverpool prioritise Van Dijk deal over Salah, Man Utd close to Upamecano

    Liverpool are reportedly prioritising a new deal for Virgil van Dijk over Mohamed Salah, while they could be beaten to Dayot Upamecano by Manchester United.

    Salah's future has been a talking point in recent weeks, although the forward is contracted until 2023.

    Van Dijk also has an agreement at Anfield until 2023, but the injured defender is apparently Liverpool's focus.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PRIORITISE VAN DIJK DEAL OVER SALAH

    Liverpool are prioritising a new contract for Van Dijk over Salah, according to Eurosport.

    Van Dijk, 29, is recovering from a serious knee injury and his absence has been felt by the Premier League champions.

    Salah, meanwhile, has scored 13 goals in 18 league games this season, but in an interview with AS last month the 28-year-old refused to rule out a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

    The report also says Liverpool may look at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, with Georginio Wijnaldum set to leave as a free agent at the end of the campaign.

    ROUND-UP

    - With Van Dijk and Joe Gomez injured, Liverpool have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig defender Upamecano. But The Sun reports Manchester United are poised to sign the centre-back for £38million (€42.7m).

    - Amid uncertainty over his future at Barcelona, Ousmane Dembele is being looked at by numerous European giants. Sport reports Chelsea, Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich are monitoring the forward's situation. Dembele is out of contract in 2022 and the Catalan giants could sell him if he does not extend his deal.

    - Frank Lampard is under enormous pressure at Chelsea as the Premier League side struggle for form. The Mirror reports Chelsea could turn to Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers if they move on from Lampard.

    - Yet to re-sign with Southampton with his contract expiring next year, Danny Ings is linked with a move. 90min reports Leicester City and Everton have joined the race for the forward, who has also been linked to Tottenham.

  • Butragueno: Everyone knows what Zidane means to us Butragueno: Everyone knows what Zidane means to us

    Real Madrid director of institutional relations Emilio Butragueno backed Zinedine Zidane, saying he wanted the coach to return as soon as possible.

    Zidane is under pressure at the helm of Madrid after a humiliating Copa del Rey loss to Alcoyano on Wednesday.

    The Frenchman did not oversee Saturday's 4-1 LaLiga win over Deportivo Alaves after testing positive for coronavirus.

    While Zidane has come under fire, Butragueno defended the 48-year-old, who has led Madrid to two LaLiga titles and three Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies across two spells in charge.

    "Everyone knows what Zidane means to us. What we want is for him to return to us as soon as possible," he told Movistar+.

    "We know what football is like. We have been around for many years.

    "When the team doesn't win we have to listen to comments and rumours of all kinds. You have to be united and work."

    Luka Modric has also faced an uncertain future at Madrid, with the Croatian midfielder's contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Butragueno hinted Modric was set to stay at Madrid as reports suggest the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner had agreed to a one-year deal.

    "There are players like Modric who make this sport better. His pass to [Ferland] Mendy in the first half was a fine thing. It's a luxury for us to have him," he said.

    "He's given us so much. He's still giving us so much and he'll continue to do so."

  • Real Madrid must be patient with Hazard – Bettoni Real Madrid must be patient with Hazard – Bettoni

    Real Madrid assistant coach David Bettoni urged patience with Eden Hazard after the playmaker showed signs of his best in a win over Deportivo Alaves.

    Hazard has struggled to find his best form since arriving at Madrid from Chelsea in 2019, but he scored once and set up another in Saturday's 4-1 LaLiga victory.

    The 30-year-old scored and assisted in a single game for Madrid for just the second time and first since October 2019 before coming off just after the hour-mark.

    Bettoni, who took charge for the game after Zinedine Zidane tested positive for coronavirus, said Hazard needed time.

    "I think Eden has had a tough season and a half with Real Madrid," he told a news conference.

    "We have to be patient with him, although obviously in football and especially at Real Madrid, we don't really have time to be that patient but with Eden I think we have to be.

    "He had a very good game, scoring a goal and getting an assist and I think we'll see the best of him eventually. We saw a little bit of that today."

    Casemiro and Karim Benzema scored before Hazard's strike, only for Joselu to pull a goal back for Alaves.

    But Benzema sealed Madrid's win after Hazard came off, the Frenchman reaching at least 15 goals in all competitions for the 10th time in the past 11 seasons with the LaLiga giants.

    Bettoni explained his decision to introduce Vinicius Junior in place of Hazard was a tactical choice.

    "It was a change because we wanted to bring on Vinicius to give us a bit more pace," he said.

    "I think Hazard had a very good hour on the pitch and it was basically just to change things, to add a bit more pace to the front three and nothing more than that."

    Madrid are second in LaLiga, four points behind Atletico Madrid, who have played two fewer games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.