Chong to commit to Man Utd amid Barcelona, Juventus interest

By Sports Desk March 09, 2020

Manchester United winger Tahith Chong has agreed to sign a new contract at Old Trafford, according to his agent.

The 20-year-old's existing United deal is up at the end of the season, and he has been linked to a host of Europe's top clubs, including Barcelona, Juventus and Inter.

But Chong has decided to remain in Manchester, where he has made 10 appearances for the Red Devils this season.

Agent Erkan Alkan said, in quotes reported by Algemeen Dagblad: "There was a lot of interest, we talked to big clubs.

"But Manchester United came up with a good plan for Tahith. He likes to stay with the club that brought him from the Netherlands."

Alkan had previously suggested in January it was time for Chong to "look further" with a different club.

Chong was handed his senior United debut early in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reign against Reading in the FA Cup in January 2019.

He subsequently featured in the team's stunning 3-1 win at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League, before making his first start at home to Astana in this season's Europa League.

Related items

  • European Super League: Football is nothing without fans – Rashford quotes Busby in apparent protest European Super League: Football is nothing without fans – Rashford quotes Busby in apparent protest

    Marcus Rashford appeared to take a stance against the European Super League as he shared a famous Matt Busby quotation.

    Manchester United star Rashford posted an image on Twitter of a banner at Old Trafford adorned with words uttered by club legend Busby, who said: "Football is nothing without fans."

    The England international has been a vocal supporter of social causes, campaigning for free meals during school holidays for underprivileged children in the United Kingdom, and speaking out against racism.

    His post comes in the wake of Sunday's announcement of a breakaway league, with United among the six Premier League clubs involved, joined by three from Spain and another trio of Italian teams.

    The response has been one of widespread criticism from all quarters, with supporters from across the spectrum outraged at what would constitute a seismic and largely unwanted shift in the football landscape.

    Comments from current managers and players have been thin on the ground and generally guarded, but it has been reported that Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson is seeking to organise a meeting of Premier League skippers to agree on a course of action.

    Reds manager Jurgen Klopp had his say on Monday, while midfielder James Milner was direct in his criticism, declaring: "I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen."

    Meanwhile, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola expressed reservations over any closed-shop competition that would remove the relationship "between effort and success", adding that "this is not sport".

    Governing bodies such as UEFA and the Premier League have warned that member clubs will face sanctions if they proceed with the plans.

  • European Super League: Premier League rivals vote 'unanimously and vigorously' against plans European Super League: Premier League rivals vote 'unanimously and vigorously' against plans

    The 14 Premier League clubs left out of plans for a European Super League have "unanimously and vigorously" voted against the proposals as England's top flight considers "all actions available" to halt the breakaway competition.

    Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham have announced plans to join a lucrative new tournament.

    The 'big six' suggested this would run alongside the Premier League, in place of the Champions League.

    But their guaranteed involvement in the Super League has been widely criticised as anti-competitive, with Premier League performance having no impact on European fortunes.

    The Premier League and The Football Association (FA) each condemned the idea when it was first reported on Sunday.

    And the two bodies held a meeting for the 14 remaining Premier League clubs on Tuesday, at which the league added it would hold the 'big six' "to account under its rules".

    "The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal," a statement read.

    "The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

    "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those shareholders involved to account under its rules. 

    "The league will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.  

    "The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

    "The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people."

    This meeting took place as City manager Pep Guardiola announced his opposition to the Super League in a pre-match news conference.

    Liverpool counterpart Jurgen Klopp said on Monday he did not support the plans but added the club's Boston-based owners Fenway Sports Group were "reasonable people" and "never have to explain these decisions to me or ask for permission".

  • European Super League: This is not sport – Guardiola against closed-shop competition European Super League: This is not sport – Guardiola against closed-shop competition

    Pep Guardiola expressed huge reservations over any closed-shop competitions that remove the relationship "between effort and success" after plans for a European Super League were announced on Sunday.

    The Manchester City boss insisted he needed more information about the tournament before making a full judgement, but admitted he was against the concept of a format that involved hand-picked clubs and no open means of qualification for other teams.

    City are one of the six Premier League teams to have signed up to the continental breakaway league, which has attracted a deluge of criticism from across the sport and beyond.

    Speaking ahead of City's top-flight clash with Aston Villa on Wednesday, Guardiola faced questioning over a development that has dominated the headlines since being made public.

    "Sport is not a sport when the relation between the effort and reward doesn't exist," he said. 

    "It's not sport when success is guaranteed, when it doesn't matter if you lose. I want the best competitions as strong as possible. In this statement, it's what I feel. This is not sport."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.