Rumour Has It: Manchester City could let Aguero leave at end of season

By Sports Desk March 08, 2020

Manchester City could let Sergio Aguero leave at the end of the season, according to a report.

City were handed a two-season Champions League ban last month over Financial Fair Play (FFP) breaches, although they are appealing the ruling.

However, that could lead to a big-name exit at the end of the campaign.

 

TOP STORY – MAN CITY COULD LET AGUERO LEAVE AT END OF SEASON

Manchester City are willing to let Aguero go if they fail to overturn the European ban, according to The Sun.

The report says the 31-year-old Argentina forward would be allowed to leave if he indicated he wanted to do so despite being contracted until 2021.

Aguero is the Premier League club's all-time leading goalscorer and is enjoying another fine campaign, netting 23 times in 29 games.

 

ROUND-UP

- Luka Jovic has struggled at Real Madrid and could be set for a switch. AS reports Napoli are considering a move for the 22-year-old forward, who has scored just twice this season after joining Madrid for a reported €60million from Eintracht Frankfurt.

- Chelsea seem ready to move on from goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. The Daily Express reports the Premier League club have been alerted to the potential availability of Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who is said to be weighing up his future at Barcelona. The Mirror reports Chelsea are monitoring Dean Henderson, who has impressed on loan at Sheffield United from Manchester United.

- Also at Stamford Bridge, The Mirror reports Tammy Abraham has rejected a contract offer from Chelsea. Abraham – who has 15 goals this season – has a deal until 2022 but reportedly wants fresh terms similar to the club's other stars before recommitting.

- Looking to strengthen their defence, Manchester City are prepared to spend £80m (€92.5m) on Inter centre-back Milan Skriniar, according to the Daily Express.

- With Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang perhaps set for an Arsenal exit, CalcioMercato reports Inter are considering a move for the forward, who played for AC Milan's youth team but never made an appearance for the senior side.

- Everton are eyeing a move for Newcastle United's Allan Saint-Maximin in the close season, according to The Sun.

Related items

  • European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination' European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination'

    Milan are "proud" to be part of Serie A but their chief executive Ivan Gazidis believes the European Super League will open up football to billions of fans.

    The Rossoneri, along with Juventus and Inter, were among 12 teams included in Sunday's seismic Super League announcement.

    Reaction has been sustained and vitriolic, with UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League among those to condemn the plans, alongside Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola – despite Liverpool and Manchester City also being on the initial roster.

    Those involved have been accused of undermining their domestic competitions, by foregoing the challenge of qualifying for continental competitions in favour of a closed-shop arrangement.

    Nevertheless, Gazidis sought to reaffirm his club's commitment to Italy's top flight in a letter to commercial partners and sponsors.

    "Serie A will remain the most important weekend competition in Italy and Milan are proud to remain an important part of the pinnacle of Italian football," he said.

    "We're confident that this new competition will capture the imagination of billions of football fans all over the world and will be a new, exciting chapter for the game.

    "The Super League will provide value and support to the whole football pyramid with greater financial resources."

    Milan are back in action at home to Sassuolo on Wednesday, with solidifying a spot in the top four the priority for head coach Stefano Pioli – irrespective of what that might now mean in the greater scheme of things.

    “Milan have never finished top four in the last few years. It would be an important target for us that would prove our growth,” Pioli told a pre-match news conference.

    “We have a target, and it's an important one. We are focused on this. We'll see what happens in the future. I repeat, this is not the right time to talk about the Super League."

  • European Super League: Trezeguet says domestic leagues 'will lose their charm' European Super League: Trezeguet says domestic leagues 'will lose their charm'

    David Trezeguet believes domestic leagues will "lose their charm" and suffer huge damage as a result of the European Super League.

    The 12 founding clubs of the breakaway competition have indicated they want to remain in their domestic leagues, despite threats of severe punishments.

    But World Cup winner Trezeguet, whose former club Juventus are among the group, thinks the excitement will disappear from the Premier League, LaLiga and Serie A.

    He also fears for the Champions League's lustre should UEFA attempt to continue with it if the European Super League is ultimately launched.

    Trezeguet said to Stats Perform News: "From an emotional side it is nice to conquer your right to play in the Champions League and Europa League on the pitch. 

    "At the moment in Italy we discuss if Juventus can qualify, if Napoli can overtake them, if Lazio can get closer. 

    "All these everyday chats will be lost because with the Super League you already know those three clubs [Juventus, Inter and Milan] will be in and maybe somebody else will be added.

    "Although they clearly stated they would go on, domestic leagues will lose their charm.

    "You lose the charm of understanding clubs' goals... who aims at Champions League? Who at the Europa League? And other goals.

    "And the Champions League will lose these 12 big clubs who boast a big enchantment on marketing and fans." 

    But Trezeguet understands why top clubs would be tempted by the huge financial rewards on offer after the coronavirus pandemic.

    He added: "Read the economic value of the Super League and what Florentino Perez said [about huge financial losses]. If these are the losses, they are huge and they are due to the pandemic. 

    "My opinion is divided. They even said they don't want to give up on other [clubs] - this is yet to be verified. 

    "If you read those figures, you see a big leap in quality [of finances] for these 12 clubs but whether they will help the others is yet to be seen. 

    "But from an emotional point of view I don't agree because you lose the principle of qualifying on the pitch. 

    "We all know for sure that football has become a big business but lest we forget the sporting side of this game. 

    "Earning your titles, playing a high-level season that makes you qualify for European cups - this is a job well done. 

    "I know these big clubs are used to playing at such levels.

    "But from an emotional viewpoint I am perplexed because you already know these three clubs [in Italy or Spain] will be automatically qualified regardless of their seasonal path in the league."

    Trezeguet foresees a lengthy political battle ahead and is unsure whether players and fans will ultimately be listened to.

    He added: "It will be a long bureaucratic clash and it is not a surprise. The Super League on one hand and the UEFA on the other have been very clear. 

    "They have both their ideas and formats and the economic part should not be forgotten since these figures [for losses] are huge.

    "First we have to see if they will be able to do the Super League as I was watching Leeds v Liverpool and already you can see fans were emotional. 

    "And the UEFA president gave a speech that was more emotional than concrete about treason, wrong ideas, phone calls unreturned.

    "But it is true that we are entering in a critical moment. UEFA and FIFA were straightforward on this from a sporting point of view. 

    "Politicians in very important football countries like France, Germany and England have opposed the Super League. 

    "Even in Italy and Spain the prime minister and the ministers have backed UEFA rather than the Super League. Now it is politics.

    "The players will be the least listened to - this Super League has been decided without even consulting the players or the fans. 

    "What has struck me is fans and players coming forward very clearly against it. Will it go on regardless? We'll see."

  • European Super League: Chelsea reportedly considering U-turn as Cech pleads with protesting fans European Super League: Chelsea reportedly considering U-turn as Cech pleads with protesting fans

    Reports on Tuesday claimed Chelsea are set to withdraw from the breakaway European Super League as fans protested outside Stamford Bridge.

    The Blues were among 12 clubs – six of them from the Premier League – to announce their involvement in a lucrative new competition on Sunday.

    The launch of the Super League would see Chelsea and their allies no longer enter the Champions League, instead guaranteed a place in the alternative tournament.

    Proposals have brought condemnation from many in the football world due to their anti-competitive nature, with only limited spaces for rival teams regardless of the performances of the 12 founding clubs.

    The 14 Premier League teams not invited to the Super League voted "unanimously and vigorously" against the plans on Tuesday.

    Super League clubs have so far publicly remained resolute in their pursuit of the competition, but widespread reports have claimed Chelsea are preparing a request to withdraw from it.

    Those stories came as club great Petr Cech sought to negotiate with supporters blocking the Chelsea team's access to Stamford Bridge.

    Fans descended on the stadium ahead of the league match against Brighton and Hove Albion.

    The crowd held banners and chanted in opposition of the Super League, before the arriving team bus found its path to the stadium blocked.

    Former goalkeeper Cech, now the technical and performance advisor, approached fans in a bid to clear space and was filmed calling for calm.

    "Let people sort this out," he could be heard saying. "This is not okay. You are harming the team.

    "Let the people in. Let the bus go in."

    Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel was asked about the Super League on Monday and said: "I am part of this club and I trust this club to make the right decisions."

    Rivals Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola have both made clear they are against the proposals.

    Liverpool midfielder James Milner said bluntly after Monday's draw at Leeds United: "I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.