Bruno Fernandes completes Man Utd move on five-and-a-half-year deal

By Sports Desk January 30, 2020

Manchester United have completed the signing of Bruno Fernandes from Sporting CP, the Portugal international signing a five-and-a-half-year deal to bring one of the most drawn-out transfer sagas of the January window to an end.

Speculation linking Fernandes with a move to Old Trafford had intensified in recent months, but the prospective deal looked to have fallen through last week due to United reportedly refusing to meet Sporting's asking price for the midfielder.

However, an agreement between the two clubs was duly reached and announced on Wednesday, with Sporting confirming they would receive £46.5million (€55m) up front and up to £21.1m (€25m) in add-ons.

After travelling to Manchester to discuss personal terms and complete a medical, Fernandes is now a United player. 

His deal, which runs until 2025, has the option for a further year.

The 25-year-old becomes United's first signing of the window and provides Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with a much-needed boost in midfield, an area where he has found himself short of options following injuries sustained by Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay.

Solskjaer told United's official website: "We have been tracking Bruno for many months and everyone here has been tremendously impressed with all his attributes and what he will bring to this team.

"Most importantly, he is a terrific human being with a great personality and his leadership qualities are clear for all to see.

"Bruno's goals and assists stats speak for themselves. He will be a fantastic addition to our team, and he will help us push on in the second part of the season.

"The winter break is coming at a perfect time for us to integrate Bruno into the squad and for him to get to know his team-mates."

Fernandes scored 15 goals in 27 games for Sporting this season.

Related items

  • Di Maria happy at PSG, glad he didn't join Barcelona Di Maria happy at PSG, glad he didn't join Barcelona

    Angel Di Maria insisted he wanted to finish his career in Europe at Paris Saint-Germain, saying he was happy he did not leave for Barcelona in 2017.

    Di Maria, 32, was linked with a switch to Camp Nou three years ago after just two seasons at PSG and with Neymar arriving from the LaLiga giants.

    But the Argentina attacker ended up staying in Paris, and said he was happy that had been the case.

    "I was very happy in Paris, but people at the club at the time told me some things, which turned out to be lies in the end," Di Maria told L'Equipe.

    "Barca tried to get me to come. The two clubs discussed it, but PSG did not want to sell me and it ended there.

    "These lies annoyed me a lot but, in the end, not leaving was a good thing because I am very happy in Paris today."

    Di Maria, who has scored 12 goals in 37 games this season, is out of contract at PSG next year.

    The former Real Madrid and Manchester United attacker said he wanted to stay at PSG.

    “Ending my career in Europe with PSG is the only thing I want and have in mind," Di Maria said.

    He added: "As for the rest, I don't know for the moment. No discussions have been initiated and this is not my intention at this time."

  • Kane hopes focus on Premier League is advantage for Spurs Kane hopes focus on Premier League is advantage for Spurs

    Harry Kane hopes being able to focus solely on the Premier League sees Tottenham produce a strong finish to the season.

    Sitting eighth in the table, Spurs are set to restart their campaign with a clash at home to Manchester United on June 19.

    Tottenham are out of the Champions League and FA Cup, and Kane hopes that can work to their advantage.

    "From our point of view we are not in any of the other competitions so we have got nine games to concentrate on picking up as many points and try and get into the Champions League spots," the forward told Sky Sports on Friday.

    "So at least all our focus is going to be on one competition."

    The Premier League season was suspended in March amid the coronavirus pandemic, with Spurs seven points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea.

    Kane, who has scored 17 goals in 25 games this season, last played on New Year's Day after suffering a hamstring injury and the England international is ready to go.

    "It feels like a pre-season, it has been good so far. I was doing individual training for a while and almost got to a stage where I was back with the team and then we had to stay at home," he said.

    "It's been a chance for me to get fit, it has been six months since I have played a game so I haven't done that since I was about five years old."

  • Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso

    Napoli players showed their support for Gennaro Gattuso by holding a minute's silence on Friday as the grieving head coach returned to training.

    Gattuso is mourning after it was announced on Tuesday that his sister Francesca had died at the age of 37 following an illness.

    She had worked as a secretary with Serie A club Milan, where Gattuso spent 13 years as a player and was later head coach.

    Gattuso, 42, has been in charge of Napoli for almost six months, after succeeding Carlo Ancelotti in December.

    The bond between the coach and his players, led by skipper Lorenzo Insigne, was made clear by the players' response to Gattuso at the Castel Volturno training ground on Friday.

    "The day began with a very touching moment: the team wanted to express their closeness and make Gennaro Gattuso feel all their affection with a virtual hug," Napoli's website announced.

    "Captain Insigne and the whole team observed a minute of recollection in memory of the Azzurro coach's sister before the start of training."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.