BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City

By Sports Desk January 28, 2020

Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.

The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.

An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.

He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.

City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.

Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.

Related items

  • Winks says consistency will hold key to Spurs revival Winks says consistency will hold key to Spurs revival

    Harry Winks wants Tottenham to shed the inconsistency that has left them casting an envious eye at Europe's elite.

    After four consecutive years of Champions League football, Spurs will drop into the Europa League next season, a blow to a club with grand ambitions.

    That is the consequence of finishing sixth in the Premier League, with Tottenham's modest total of 59 points their lowest since the 2008-09 campaign.

    It was small consolation that they finished above rivals Arsenal, but the Gunners' FA Cup final victory over Chelsea meant it was they who finished the season with north London bragging rights.

    Spurs and their head coach Jose Mourinho will expect to deliver more next season, and England international Winks says it will be important to start strongly.

    The objective will be another top-four finish to secure a place in the 2021-22 Champions League.

    "We need to have a better season, in our opinion, it's been a bit up and down, a bit inconsistent," Winks said on the club's official website.

    "We started to find a bit of rhythm in the last few weeks and started to get a good run of results, so let's hope we can take that into next season and get a bit of consistency, build up a bit of confidence and finish where we deserve to finish and where we believe we should be finishing, and that's in the top four."

  • Willian confirms Chelsea exit amid Arsenal rumours Willian confirms Chelsea exit amid Arsenal rumours

    Willian has confirmed he is leaving Chelsea after the expiration of his contract, with the Brazil international seemingly edging closer to joining Arsenal.

    The playmaker joined Chelsea from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013, going on to make 234 Premier League appearances for the Blues.

    However, after winning two league titles, one FA Cup, the EFL Cup and the Europa League, Willian is leaving Stamford Bridge after failing to agree to a new deal.

    In an open letter to Chelsea's fans on Sunday, Willian penned an emotional goodbye to the club.

    "They were seven wonderful years," he wrote. "In August 2013 when I received the offer from Chelsea, I was convinced that this was where I had to play.

    "There were so many happy times, some sad, there were trophies and it was always very intense.

    "I am really grateful to the Chelsea fans for the affectionate way they welcomed me to Stamford Bridge and their support throughout my time at the club.

    "The time has now come to move on. I am certainly going to miss my team-mates. I will miss all of the staff at the club who've always treated me like a son and I will miss the fans.

    "I leave with my head held high, safe in the knowledge that I won things here and I always did my best in a Chelsea shirt!"

    Willian's agent Kia Joorabchian revealed last month that his client had offers from two Premier League clubs, with Arsenal the favourites to land the 32-year-old.

    Pedro also left Chelsea on Sunday, and is set to join Roma on a free transfer.

  • Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann

    Julian Nagelsmann has revealed he turned down an offer from Real Madrid as it was not the right step for his career.

    Then at Hoffenheim, Nagelsmann was on a shortlist of candidates to replace Zinedine Zidane at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2018, but Julen Lopetegui was eventually appointed to the post. 

    Lopetegui's tenure ended in October that year, however, while Santiago Solari also having a brief spell in charge before Zidane returned in March 2019.

    Nagelsmann, meanwhile, opted to join RB Leipzig, taking charge in 2019 and guiding the side to a third-placed finish in the Bundesliga. The 33-year-old has confirmed he decided against joining Madrid, as he thought he was not yet ready to take on a job of such magnitude. 

    "We had phone calls, but in the end the one who decided was me," Nagelsmann told Marca ahead of Leipzig's Champions League quarter-final with Atletico Madrid.  

    "I believed that it was still not the right step to go to Real Madrid. I was one of the candidates and the list was not very long.  

    "For me, it was very important. I had a good chat with [Madrid general director] Jose Angel Sanchez and we decided that it was still not the right step.  

    "We agreed that we could talk again in the future if Real Madrid needed a coach, and if I was available." 

    Nagelsmann added that Leipzig provided the ideal platform for him to develop as a coach. 

    "I wanted the next step to be logical. I try to plan a career in football, even if it is difficult," he said. 

    "I'm a young boy, I don't have to go to the top shelf right away either. I give myself time to develop. Leipzig went to great lengths to sign me. That was the most important thing. 

    "Relatively fast I had an offer on the table. We had good conversations and I saw that it was a good next step. A bigger club, with a bigger budget than Hoffenheim, which would allow me to continue developing.  

    "They have also given me a free hand to introduce my ideas. I do not have to permanently justify what I do, but I have the possibility to evolve and transfer my ideas to the field of play.  

    "It was a good next step in my career to prepare myself and in the future, maybe."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.