PSV allow Bergwijn to travel to England to complete prospective Spurs move

By Sports Desk January 28, 2020

Steven Bergwijn has been granted permission by PSV to travel to England as a prospective move to Tottenham nears completion.

The 22-year-old winger has been heavily linked with Spurs and, following reports of the two clubs agreeing a £27million (€32m) fee, PSV have allowed Bergwijn to finalise his departure.

A club statement, also confirming the impending exit of apparent Cagliari target Gaston Pereiro, read: "Steven Bergwijn and Gaston Pereiro are not training with PSV on Tuesday morning.

"Bergwijn has received permission from PSV to travel to England with a view to an upcoming transfer. Pereiro stays outside group training pending the completion of a transfer."

Bergwijn, a Netherlands international, has been a revelation for the Eredivisie side over the past three seasons, scoring 27 league goals and setting up another 29.

He missed Sunday's 1-1 draw at home to Twente following reports he was refusing to play, but he denied those claims soon after, insisting caretaker boss Ernest Faber had given him permission.

Nevertheless, his absence seemed to be the beginning of the end given the accompanying media reports of Spurs' interest.

Bergwijn's arrival could pave the way for Erik Lamela to leave, with speculation suggesting the club are willing to offer him to Milan as part of the deal to sign Krzysztof Piatek from the faltering Serie A giants.

Related items

  • Ozil completes Fenerbahce move after Arsenal exit Ozil completes Fenerbahce move after Arsenal exit

    Mesut Ozil has completed a move to Fenerbahce after negotiating his departure from Arsenal.

    World Cup winner Ozil, once Arsenal's record signing, had been excluded from Mikel Arteta's first-team plans this season and departs after seven and a half years with the Premier League club.

    The former Germany midfielder was under contract until the end of the current campaign but reached an agreement for an early termination, clearing him to sign elsewhere.

    Fener have now confirmed the arrival of Ozil, with Arsenal announcing the playmaker's departure on their official website.

    In a statement in the Gunners' announcement, Ozil said: "I'd like to thank the club for this amazing journey over the past seven-and-a-half years.

    "The support I have felt from the team and fans during my time here has been truly incredible and something I will always be grateful for.

    "Together we won trophies for the first time in years and created memories that will last a lifetime.

    "The Arsenal fans will forever remain in my heart. I'd like to thank Edu Gaspar for helping bring about a professional and dignified solution in the past few days, and I wish everyone at the club the best in their attempt to continue to bring Arsenal back to the top, where we belong."

    Having joined from Real Madrid in September 2013, Ozil made 184 Premier League appearances for Arsenal, scoring 33 goals and contributing 54 assists.

    He was a key part of Arsene Wenger's squad that finished second in the 2015-16 Premier League season, while he also started in the FA Cup final triumphs in 2014, 2015 and 2017.

    However, the 32-year-old had increasingly become a peripheral figure in recent years, initially under former Gunners boss Unai Emery before being left out entirely by Arteta. 

    His final Arsenal appearance came on March 3, 2020, when he played 89 minutes in a 1-0 win over West Ham at Emirates Stadium.

    Although he was twice named on the bench when the 2019-20 season resumed after the coronavirus-enforced break, the 32-year-old was an unused substitute against both Brighton and Hove Albion and Southampton in June.

    "Mesut's achievements at Arsenal are undisputed," Arteta said. "It was a privilege to play alongside him and, more recently, coach him.

    "His creativity and vision led to many goals during his time in the Arsenal shirt. Mesut was at the heart of many great moments for this club over the years, including those three FA Cup final wins.

    "These successes will always be part of our history. We thank Mesut and wish him all the best with Fenerbahce."

  • No grudges! Ozil urges Arsenal to stay classy as he bids sad farewell No grudges! Ozil urges Arsenal to stay classy as he bids sad farewell

    Mesut Ozil said he would bear "no grudges" after his Arsenal career went into the nosedive that led him to join Fenerbahce.

    In a letter addressed to "Gunners", Ozil recalled the "big mix of ups and downs" during his time with the Premier League club, whom he joined from Real Madrid in September 2013.

    The midfielder's long-trailed switch to the Turkish Super Lig was confirmed on Sunday.

    Ozil detailed his "love" for Arsenal, his connection with the local community and his pride in seeing youngsters from the club's Hale End academy reach the first team, and promised he would be "a Gunner for life".

    But the German World Cup winner also made reference to his recent time in the wilderness at Arsenal, after being left out of this season's Premier League and Europa League squads by manager Mikel Arteta.

    He said it was vital that the club's "principles of class, respect and dignity must never be forgotten", and explained that from his perspective recent times at Arsenal "haven't been the easiest".

    "But it is important to look for the positives in life and not the negative, which is why I try to live with no regrets and holding no grudges," Ozil added.

    Ozil said that in a difficult season for Arsenal, who are sitting in mid-table in the Premier League and out of the FA Cup, everyone connected to the club "must all back the current squad and staff no matter the results".

     

    Mesut Ozil's letter in full

    Dear Gunners,

    7.5 years. Nearly 3,000 days. It feels strange to be writing this message after such a long time here in London. Since the moment I arrived, it has felt like home. I was welcomed with open arms by all the Arsenal staff, my teammates, and most importantly the incredible fans. I will always be grateful for the trust placed in me by Arsene Wenger in September of 2013. I've grown up as an adult in North London, a place I can always call home. I'll never forget that.

    Being with Arsenal for so long has meant I've experienced a big mix of ups and downs. Over 250 games, 44 goals and 71 assists later, it's time that Arsenal and I finally part ways.
    Together, we ended the club's 9-year trophy drought, and brought long needed silverware back to the fans who deserved it.

    It is difficult for me to put into words the love I feel for this club and the fans. How could I possibly describe 8 years of gratitude in a single letter? Whilst I may be no longer playing for the club, I will continue to support them in every game they play. I will be a Gunner for life - no doubt about that. Now more than ever we must all be behind the team. This season is a tough one for every team in the Premier League, and that is why we must all back the current squad and staff no matter the results.

    For me it's been amazing to see some of the boys from Hale End coming through into the first team setup. As we all know, they are the future of the club, and I wish them every success!

    Hearing my name chanted around the Emirates will forever give me goosebumps, and the memories I've made putting on this jersey will stick with me for life. Much has been written about my time at Arsenal, especially in recent months. Arsenal is a club of class and prestige, something that I felt every time I walked onto the pitch. Players, staff and management always come and go - but the club's values and fans will remain forever.

    The principles of class, respect and dignity must never be forgotten. It is the responsibility of every single person from the club to make sure they carry out their job in the name of these values.

    As I said, the past few months haven't been the easiest. Like every player, I want to play every minute of football for my team. In life however, things do not always play out how we expect or want them to. But it is important to look for the positives in life and not the negative, which is why I try to live with no regrets and holding no grudges. Being at Arsenal was more than just football, it was about community. As much as I tried to assist on the pitch, I tried to be part of the London community as much as I could too.

    North London took me in as one of its own, and every season I embarked on a different project to bring happiness to this incredible community. Although I might be leaving North London, this will not stop.

    It might be the end of a chapter, but my connection with this amazing club will never fade. It might be goodbye for now, but it's not goodbye forever.

    To the Arsenal fans around the world: YaGunnersYa

    Mesut.

  • Pirlo not ruling out striker swoop amid Dzeko and Scamacca links Pirlo not ruling out striker swoop amid Dzeko and Scamacca links

    Andrea Pirlo revealed he hopes to sign a striker before the transfer window closes if the right opportunity arises after Juventus beat Bologna 2-0 in Serie A on Sunday.

    Roma frontman Edin Dzeko and Sassuolo's Gianluca Scamacca – who is on loan at Genoa – have been linked with a move to Juve ahead of the February 1 deadline.

    Dzeko was left out of Roma's squad for their 4-3 win over Spezia on Saturday, leading to further speculation he could be on his way out of the club.

    Scamacca, Olivier Giroud, Fernando Llorente and Graziano Pelle have also been mentioned as potential signings for the Bianconeri.

    Pirlo said he would like to add more firepower to his squad after goals from Arthur and Weston McKennie moved the champions into fourth place in Serie A, seven points behind leaders Milan with a game in hand.

    "We are watching what happens, there is not much around," Juve head coach Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia when asked about the possibility of going into the market.

    "We do not have the obligation [to do any business], it will be a last-minute thing and if there is an opportunity to take it we will be happy."

    Arthur scored his first Juve goal in fortuitous fashion with a long-range strike that took a big deflection in the first half and McKennie sealed all three points with a header 19 minutes from time.

    Juve had 23 shots, 11 of which were on target, and Cristiano Ronaldo endured a rare off day, failing to find the back of the net with any of his five attempts.

    Pirlo warned the Turin giants must be more clinical as they go in search of more trophies after their Supercoppa Italiana triumph in midweek.

    "The important thing was to win after the satisfaction of the victory in the Supercoppa," he said.

    "We started well but missed a few too many opportunities to end the game."

    He added: "We played a good match against a team that attacks well, we were good at finding the spaces they left us."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.