Barca boss Setien on links to Valencia forward Rodrigo: I like all good players!

By Sports Desk January 24, 2020

Barcelona boss Quique Setien says he likes "all good players" amid links of a move for Valencia striker Rodrigo.

The LaLiga leaders are in the market for a new striker after Luis Suarez was ruled out for the majority of the campaign following surgery on his knee.

Barca have been linked with numerous players since Suarez went under the knife on January 11, including Chimy Avila, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Timo Werner.

Rodrigo is another rumoured target and Setien waxed lyrical over the Spain international, who has been nursing a knee injury of his own over the past few weeks.

Asked specifically about Rodrigo at his pre-match news conference ahead of this weekend's league clash with Valencia at Mestalla, Setien said: "I like all good players.

"He's an extraordinary footballer and tomorrow he could give us problems - he is a key player for their team.

"I would have preferred if he wasn't playing, but we know that if he's not there then there is another player. Valencia have a great squad with or without Rodrigo."

Setien was appointed as Ernesto Valverde's successor last week and has won his first two games in charge, including a 2-1 Copa del Rey victory against Ibiza in midweek.

Barca were given a real scare by the minnows, requiring a last-minute goal from Antoine Griezmann to secure a comeback victory and a last-16 tie against Leganes.

And after dominating the possession count in the wins over Granada and Ibiza, Setien admitted it would have counted for little had his side not picked up the victories.

"I had a huge shock in Ibiza," he said. "I am not going to lie, this is clear. We have to stress a lot the things that we give high importance to. In theory, this shouldn't take us long.

"But in general I already know that lots of people only care about results. Those will only care to win, not how we play. This is like this in today's football and its fine to me.

"I believe that the way [you play] should be valued too, how you get to the victory or how you lose. That seems like the right way to look at things, even though I can understand that some people only care about the results."

Barca are level on points with Real Madrid at the top of LaLiga ahead of their meeting with Valencia, who are seventh in the table after losing 4-1 at Real Mallorca last time out in the league.

Setien is wary of a response from Albert Celades' side, however, adding: "When a team like Valencia loses their previous match, the desire to break this streak is a motivation. As I always say and repeat, I always expect the best version of our rivals. 

"Valencia is a great team, without doubt, with very good footballers. They will make things difficult for us and it will be truly a match of great level. 

"Our capacity to harm them might be bigger because they are a team with capacity to attack. Surely they will try so we will take the most of those spaces. We will probably have more spaces than in the previous two matches."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles Rumour Has It: Man Utd's Chiesa enquiry turned down, snubbed by Porto over Telles

    Manchester United's problems in the transfer window have reportedly continued as they target Federico Chiesa and Alex Telles.

    The Premier League giants have had a tough window so far, with only Donny van de Beek arriving from Ajax.

    That is their only inclusion despite links to the likes of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho and Telles, and their progress is still seemingly slow ahead of the window closing on Monday.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD'S CHIESA BID REJECTED, SNUBBED OVER TELLES

    Manchester United had a loan enquiry for Fiorentina attacker Chiesa turned down, according to The Telegraph.

    As they struggle to land a deal for Sancho, United have been linked with Chiesa and Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.

    Chiesa, a 22-year-old Italy international, has made a fine start to this season, scoring once and providing an assist in two Serie A games.

    United seemed closer to bringing in Telles, but O Jogo reports Porto did not even respond to their first bid for the left-back – believed to be around £11.8million (€13m) – as the Portuguese giants see it as unrealistic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - After Luis Suarez's arrival at Atletico Madrid, Diego Costa is linked with a move away. AS reports Paris Saint-Germain are considering a move for the forward, and it adds Atletico could look to replace him with free agent Edinson Cavani.

    - Manchester City's transfer business in this window could be done. The Sun reports any plans for the Premier League side to bring in a left-back – either Bayern Munich's David Alaba or Ajax's Nicolas Tagliafico – are reliant on a late bid being received for Oleksandr Zinchenko.

    - Are Bayern Munich looking for a back-up for star Robert Lewandowski? Sport Bild reports the Bundesliga champions want to sign Hoffenheim forward Andrej Kramaric. The Croatia international scored twice against Bayern in the Bundesliga on Saturday and is up to seven goals in three games in 2020-21.

    - Tottenham are reportedly looking at Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius. Football.London says Spurs are hoping to loan the striker with an option to buy for £36.3m (€40m). Carlos Vinicius scored 24 goals in 47 games in all competitions last season.

    - Staying at Spurs and Sky Sports reports Celtic have made an approach for Tottenham left-back Ryan Sessegnon. However, it says finances are problematic, while multiple Premier League clubs are also keeping an eye on Sessegnon.

    - Andreas Pereira is set to leave Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports a deal between United and Lazio has been signed for a loan with option to buy for €27m (£24.5m).

  • Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar Lyon president Aulas: Three major clubs chasing Aouar

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas claims three major clubs are interested in signing star midfielder Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have emerged as favourites to prise Aouar from Lyon, though the Premier League club are yet to agree a fee as the Ligue 1 side hold out for £55million (€60m).

    French outlet Telefoot reported on Friday that Aouar has agreed personal terms with Arsenal, who are reportedly willing to pay £36m (€40m) for the 22-year-old.

    Aouar, however, has also been linked to the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain following Lyon's memorable run to the 2019-20 Champions League semi-final.

    "Things haven't really advanced. We know that three major clubs – two in the short term and one in the medium term – are interested in Houssem," Aulas told reporters on Wednesday when asked about Aouar following the arrival of Lucas Paqueta from Milan.

    "They are some of the biggest clubs. They have all been in the Champions League and have performed well. Talks are difficult. The clubs are not able to provide us with financial commitments.

    "Some, like I have said with Barcelona, are in great difficulty. That is the difficulty. We are all working, night and day."

    Lyon have struggled for form since kicking off their 2020-21 season, managing just one win from five games in Ligue 1.

    Rudi Garcia's Lyon are 11th in the table, seven points behind unbeaten leaders Rennes.

  • Zidane unsure how long 'upset' Hazard will be sidelined Zidane unsure how long 'upset' Hazard will be sidelined

    Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane is unsure how long Eden Hazard will be sidelined, but said the attacker was "upset" after another injury setback.

    Hazard, 29, is enduring a torrid run in Madrid, and is yet to make an appearance this season.

    The Belgium international was ready to return from an ankle problem, but suffered a muscle injury that saw him miss Wednesday's 1-0 LaLiga victory over Real Valladolid.

    Zidane is unsure how long Hazard, signed for a reported €100million from Chelsea last year, will be unavailable.

    "I can't tell you how long it'll be. He picked up a bit of a knock in training before the game," he told a news conference.

    "It looked like a muscle spasm but in the end it turned out to be a bit more than that. It's something muscular. It's nothing to do with the injury he's had and these things happen.

    "He's been out for a long time. I don't think this one will be long but I can't tell you exactly."

    Hazard has struggled to impress since arriving at Madrid, where he scored one goal and provided three assists in 16 LaLiga appearances last season.

    Zidane said the former Lille star was disappointed after his latest injury.

    "He's upset because he was all right. We talked about it at the press conference before the match, but he's had a setback and these things can happen," he said.

    "He's not happy, he knows that it's not a big thing and we have to take it easy with him. It's a question of little time, I'm sure."

    After earning seven points from their opening three LaLiga games, Madrid visit Levante on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.