Brozovic ankle sprain confirmed by Inter

By Sports Desk January 21, 2020

Inter have confirmed Marcelo Brozovic sustained a sprained ankle in the 1-1 Serie A draw with Lecce on Sunday.

The midfielder was substituted with eight minutes of normal time remaining at the Via Del Mare after a clash with Alessandro Deiola.

The Croatia international had an MRI scan on Tuesday, with Inter confirming: "The tests revealed a sprain to his left ankle. The player will be assessed on a day-by-day basis."

Brozovic's injury is said to be part of the reason Inter have stepped up plans to sign Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen this month.

Sporting director Piero Ausilio said on Monday that a bid for the playmaker had been lodged, although Spurs boss Jose Mourinho intends to have Eriksen in his squad for Wednesday's Premier League game against Norwich City.

Brozovic has played in all but one of Inter's 27 matches in all competitions this season, scoring twice.

Antonio Conte's side are second in Serie A, four points behind champions Juventus.

Related items

  • Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero

    Alessandro Del Piero lauded Paulo Dybala and believes the Juventus star has become "complete" after an off-season transfer saga.

    Dybala, 26, was linked with a move away from the Serie A giants during the close season, but ended up staying before making an impressive start to the campaign.

    The Argentina international had scored 13 goals and provided seven assists in 34 games before the season was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Del Piero, a Juventus great, hailed the playmaker for his growth and said Dybala could be a future captain of the club.

    "Paulo has already worn the armband a few times and if it has already happened it is because they consider him to be up to it," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "As far as I know him personally, I believe that his maturity has grown a lot, primarily due to the reaction he had after this summer, which underlines the growth in terms of personality.

    "He has always been available and dedicated to work and I think he is complete in this respect too."

    Juventus were top of Serie A and in the Champions League last 16 when the season was suspended.

    Del Piero believes they can win the Champions League for the first time since 1996 if the campaign gets back underway.

    "If the tournament will start again, Juve have everything to win this year," he said.

    "There are teams that in different ways have the potential to win, but Juve can do it."

  • Coronavirus: Brescia president threatens to forfeit matches if Serie A resumes Coronavirus: Brescia president threatens to forfeit matches if Serie A resumes

    Brescia president Massimo Cellino has threatened to forfeit the club's remaining matches if the season resumes.

    Serie A is suspended indefinitely with Italy one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Cellino, whose Brescia were bottom of the table when the season was stopped, said he was prepared to forfeit each of the club's 12 remaining games if they were forced back onto the field.

    "This season doesn't make sense any more," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport on Thursday.

    "We've stopped, no team will return as before, the matches will be behind closed doors, plus there's a risk to the health of the athletes. For me, to go back to business is pure madness.

    "If they force us to play, I'd be willing to not field the team and lose the matches 3-0 out of respect for the citizens of Brescia and their loved ones who are no longer there."

    Brescia is in the Italian region of Lombardy, which has seen 7,960 people die after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Cellino said officials could also be putting next season at risk if they decided to resume the 2019-20 campaign.

    "It's arrogant and irresponsible. My speech is primarily based on two pillars: respect for health and safety of the footballing system," he said.

    "After losing this season, we will also ruin the next one, that would be decisive to start again."

  • Coronavirus: PFA defends response to COVID-19 crisis as government criticises Premier League stars Coronavirus: PFA defends response to COVID-19 crisis as government criticises Premier League stars

    The Professional Footballers' Association has denied reports that it will block all wage deferrals at clubs as English football's response to the coronavirus pandemic attracted governmental criticism.

    On Wednesday, the PFA reported that talks with the Premier League, the English Football League and the League Manager's Association over the appropriate financial response to the crisis were on-going.

    However, public opinion had already started to turn against Premier League clubs and their players, after Newcastle United, Tottenham, Norwich City and Bournemouth all took advantage of the government scheme allowing businesses to furlough employees at the state's expense as COVID-19 lockdown conditions remain.

    Health secretary Matt Hancock, who himself tested positive for coronavirus last week, called on Premier League footballers to "take a pay cut and play their part" in remarks where he invoked the deaths of National Health Service workers.

    That followed Julian Knight MP, the department for culture, media and sport committee chair, writing to the chancellor Rishi Sunak to propose a windfall tax on Premier League clubs to recover money received from the furlough scheme.

    In its response to an increasingly hostile climate, the PFA said it did not support widespread use of such government provision.

    "Each club's financial standing will vary. We are aware of the public sentiment that the players should pay non-playing staff's salaries," it read. "However, our current position is that – as businesses - if clubs can afford to pay their players and staff, they should. 

    "The players we have spoken [to] recognise that the non-playing staff are a vital part of their club and they do not want to see club staff furloughed unfairly. Any use of the government's support schemes without genuine financial need is detrimental to the wider society.

    "In instances where clubs have the resources to pay all staff, the benefit of players paying non-playing staff salaries will only serve the business of the club's shareholders."

    Addressing the matter of players taking temporary pay cuts – such as the 70 per cent reductions LaLiga giants Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have enacted – the players' union highlighted how its initial work to meet the challenges of COVID-19 sought to protect players in the bottom two tiers of England's professional structure.

    It explained its position that players should be willing help their clubs and the wider game by sharing the financial burden at this time and that "advice going out to players at this point reflects that expectation".

    "At this point, our attention was mainly focused on EFL players - particularly League One and League Two - as their need was most urgent. Here, a significant number of players are employed on a relatively short-term basis, with 12-month contracts and salaries closer to the national average," the PFA said.

    "As such, many of these players will have contracts ending in June. These are often people with young families, for whom their immediate financial position is uncertain."

    The statement continued: "Contrary to some press reports the PFA has never stated that it will block all wage deferrals. What we have sought to put in place is a structured and unified approach to ensure a fair response across the leagues.

    "To address this, we called for an urgent meeting with the Premier League and EFL - which took place on Friday, March 27. The PFA's primary aim was to ensure that wages for EFL players were protected for that month, this was agreed.

    "In addition, a timetable was established to collectively use early April, to reach considered decisions and solutions, with a view for any potential changes and reductions to salaries coming into effect on April's payroll. Talks on this basis are ongoing."

    The PFA also highlighted charity work undertaken by members to help the NHS and the wider community, and their stance appeared to win swift support from former England and Manchester United defender Gary Neville, who took umbrage at perceived political points scoring from Hancock.

    "I wish I was a player for 10 more mins. The PL players are more than likely working on a proposal to help clubs, communities and The NHS," Neville tweeted.

    "It takes longer than 2 weeks to put together. Matt Hancock calling them out when he can't get tests in place for NHS staff is a f@@@@@g cheek!"

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.