Cavani keen for PSG exit but Atletico bid rejected, confirms Leonardo

By Sports Desk January 20, 2020

Edinson Cavani has asked to leave Paris Saint-Germain but the club have rejected an initial approach from Atletico Madrid, sporting director Leonardo confirmed.

PSG's record goalscorer Cavani is out of contract at the end of the season and has repeatedly been linked with a January move away from the Parc des Princes.

A move to Atletico appeared close earlier in the transfer window, and the Uruguay international sat out both the midweek win against Monaco and Sunday's 1-0 Coupe de France defeat of Lorient.

However, it is reported PSG have turned down a €10million bid from the LaLiga club, although Leonardo revealed there would be further discussions.

"Edinson Cavani has asked to leave. We are studying the situation," Leonardo told reporters. "We had an offer from Atletico Madrid, but we did not accept it.

"I don't know how this is going to turn out. We are going to discuss more. We know the situation. It is not an easy one."

On the possibility of bringing in a striker if Cavani left, the PSG chief added: "It is a good question. We are thinking it over."

Thomas Tuchel had little to add on the situation, however, referring back to Leonardo.

"I do not know if Edinson Cavani will be here in February," the coach told a news conference. "We do not know what will happen tomorrow - anything can happen.

"You want to discuss it, but I do not. Ask Leonardo."

After beating Lorient, PSG will visit third-tier Pau in the last 16. The pick of the draw sees Nice host Lyon.

Related items

  • Ajax sign Ziyech replacement Antony in €21.75m deal Ajax sign Ziyech replacement Antony in €21.75m deal

    Ajax have confirmed the signing of Antony from Sao Paulo in a €21.75million deal.

    The 19-year-old, who has agreed a five-year contract with the Eredivisie champions, will move on July 1.

    "We will have to be patient for a few more months before Antony can start here, but with him, we are getting a creative player who can play in every position up front," director of football Marc Overmars said via Ajax's website.

    "It's already been established that some of our players will be leaving this summer. We need to plan for that, so it's great that we've been able to finalise this transfer."

    The signing of Antony – a Brazil Under-23 international - comes after Hakim Ziyech agreed to join Chelsea at the end of the season in a deal that could be worth €44m.

  • Timo Werner hails Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool rumours intensify Timo Werner hails Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool rumours intensify

    Timo Werner has once again spoken positively about a potential move to Liverpool, labelling Jurgen Klopp the "best coach in the world".

    RB Leipzig forward Werner has been heavily linked with a switch to Anfield after starring in his club's push for a maiden Bundesliga title.

    The 23-year-old, who has scored 27 goals for Leipzig in all competitions this season, said on Wednesday he was "very proud" to be linked with European champions Liverpool.

    Werner has now talked up the runaway Premier League leaders once again after scoring in a 5-0 thrashing of Schalke on Saturday, a victory that kept Leipzig just a point behind Bundesliga front-runners Bayern Munich. 

    "Jurgen Klopp is the best coach in the world," Werner told Sky Germany.

    "There is a lot to suggest that my style of play would suit there [Liverpool]."

    The Germany international did insist his focus was strictly on his current club for the remainder of the campaign.

    "I'm not worried about that [a move to Liverpool], because we have so much to do with Leipzig," he added.

    "It's difficult to think about where to play next year. You have to worry about it after the season. Inquiries come in, you don't have to lie that it is so."

  • Rumour Has It: Messi and Ronaldo to join forces at Inter Miami? Rumour Has It: Messi and Ronaldo to join forces at Inter Miami?

    After dominating European football for over a decade, could Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo shelve their rivalry and come together as team-mates?

    David Beckham might be the man to make it happen.

    The former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder appears to have ambitious plans for his new MLS franchise.

     

    TOP STORY – MESSI, RONALDO WANTED AT INTER MIAMI

    Barcelona captain Messi, 32, and Juventus talisman Ronaldo, 35, will end their careers on the same side if Inter Miami co-owner Beckham gets his wish, according to the Mirror.

    The newspaper claims the new MLS outfit are "already thinking big" and could look to lure football's two biggest superstars to the United States.

    LA Galaxy have also been linked with a move for Messi but Minnesota United head coach Adrian Heath believes Beckham's pulling power has the potential to create a dream attacking duo.

    “For Ronaldo and Messi, the two obvious destinations if they came to the MLS would be Los Angeles and Miami," Heath told the Mirror.

    "And, with his links to both players and the plan Beckham and his backers have in place, I can really only see them going to Miami."

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United are set to launch a £50million bid for Wolves forward Diogo Jota, scorer of a Europa League hat-trick on Thursday, reports the Express.

    - United have also been linked with Birmingham City teenager Jude Bellingham but the Red Devils are set to face competition from Liverpool, according to the Daily Star.

    - Serie A leaders Juventus are at the front of the queue for Paul Pogba but Paris Saint-Germain also hope to land the French star, reports Le10 Sport.

    - PSG, meanwhile, are planning for life after Thomas Tuchel, who is said to be in talks with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich. L'Equipe claims the Ligue 1 champions could look to replace him with either Massimiliano Allegri or Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi.

    - Premier League clubs Sheffield United, Wolves and Burnley are showing interest in Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips, suggests the Sun.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.