Messi wishes 'top person' Valverde luck after Barcelona departure

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Lionel Messi has wished Ernesto Valverde luck for the future after the coach left Barcelona, calling his former boss a "top professional and top person."

Barca, following a defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana, decided to part ways with Valverde on Monday, with Quique Setien swiftly named as his replacement.

Former Athletic Bilbao boss Valverde took over Barca in 2017 and guided the club to successive LaLiga titles plus a Copa del Rey success.

However, a dramatic capitulation to Liverpool in last season's Champions League semi-finals, followed by a defeat to Valencia in the Copa del Rey final, put Valverde under scrutiny and, despite being top of LaLiga, Barca fired the coach after missing out on another title in the form of the Supercopa.

Messi, who scored 112 goals in all competitions under Valverde, has now given his thanks to the Spaniard, who the forward is confident will thrive in his next job.

"Thanks for everything, gaffer," Messi posted to his official Instagram account on Tuesday.

"I'm sure everything will go well for you wherever you go because, as well as being a top professional, you're also a top person. Good luck and a big hug."

Setien oversaw training on Tuesday before being presented to the media, with the former Real Betis coach taking charge of his first LaLiga match as Barca coach against Granada on Sunday.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez Coronavirus: Barcelona players were first to want agreement over pay cut – Suarez

    Luis Suarez defended Barcelona players and said they were the first who wanted to reach an agreement over a pay cut.

    Barcelona players agreed to a 70 per cent pay cut earlier this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    In a statement confirming the move on Monday, Barcelona star Lionel Messi took aim at senior figures at the club for putting players under pressure over something they always knew they would do.

    Suarez said players were hurt by reports they were unwilling to accept a salary reduction.

    "A lot of hurtful things have been said about the squad's salary cuts," the forward told Sport 890 on Thursday.

    "People have said that the players didn't want to accept them, then it was said that players from other areas of the club had reached an agreement, when the reality is that we were waiting to try and find the best solution for the club."

    Suarez added: "It hurts when people say things like that because we were always the first people that wanted to reach an agreement, as we know what the club's situation is.

    "No player in the squad refused a wage cut. A mutual agreement was reached between the players and the club. The captains spoke to the president and nobody refused it."

    More than 52,900 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll exceeding 10,300 in Spain.

  • De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero

    Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne belongs among the world's best alongside Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, according to Alessandro Del Piero.

    Messi and Ronaldo are widely regarded as the world's two best players, ahead of Paris Saint-Germain stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

    But Del Piero, a Juventus great, feels De Bruyne should be considered among the best.

    "To define the strongest player, you should specify in what," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "In addition to the sacred names such as Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar that attract the audience at 360 degrees, there are players of incredible depth, like De Bruyne."

    De Bruyne had scored nine goals and provided 18 assists in 35 games in all competitions before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero Juventus star Dybala has become complete, says Del Piero

    Alessandro Del Piero lauded Paulo Dybala and believes the Juventus star has become "complete" after an off-season transfer saga.

    Dybala, 26, was linked with a move away from the Serie A giants during the close season, but ended up staying before making an impressive start to the campaign.

    The Argentina international had scored 13 goals and provided seven assists in 34 games before the season was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Del Piero, a Juventus great, hailed the playmaker for his growth and said Dybala could be a future captain of the club.

    "Paulo has already worn the armband a few times and if it has already happened it is because they consider him to be up to it," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "As far as I know him personally, I believe that his maturity has grown a lot, primarily due to the reaction he had after this summer, which underlines the growth in terms of personality.

    "He has always been available and dedicated to work and I think he is complete in this respect too."

    Juventus were top of Serie A and in the Champions League last 16 when the season was suspended.

    Del Piero believes they can win the Champions League for the first time since 1996 if the campaign gets back underway.

    "If the tournament will start again, Juve have everything to win this year," he said.

    "There are teams that in different ways have the potential to win, but Juve can do it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.