Sidelined Reggae Boy Corey Burke could be Europe bound

By January 13, 2020
Cory Burke Cory Burke

Reggae Boy Cory Burke may be finding his way back onto a professional pitch if his club, the Philadephia Union can have their way.

The 28-year-old Burke has been playing for Portmore United, despite having a contract with the Philadelphia Union in the United States’ Major League because he lost his P1 status early last year.

A P1 visa is applicable to athletes entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an individual athlete or as part of a team at an internationally recognized level of performance.

Burke’s misfortune was beneficial to Portmore United, for whom he turned out in the interim.

Burke’s paperwork was complete recently and he is now well on the way to being able to apply for a green card but until then, the Philadephia Union the team he has been playing on since 2017 when they bought him from the Bethlehem Steel, will be loaning him out.

The striker, who has scored 11 goals in his 20 appearances for Portmore, will now turn out for Austrian outfit, SKN St Polten.

Polten, the 2016 Austrian Champions, now sits ninth in a 12-team table, just three points from bottom.

“I think I found a pretty good solution for him. He is on his way at this moment,” said Philadephia’s Sporting Director Ernst Tanner.

“Everything is not written, but we have an agreement and Cory already has an agreement with the club.”

According to Tanner, the loan spell with St Polten is to get Burke playing at a high level again before his re-integration into the MLS system.

“I think they have a good situation for him, as he will join a club where the coach is a friend of mine and he knows everything about the player,” Tanner said.

“The goal is to give him match practice on the higher level than he has had so far and bring him back at the beginning of May if possible,” he added.

“He can re-apply for a green card by the end of April, and that’s what we have in mind. Loan him out until then and then bringing him back.” 

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake injured in Union's victory over Chicago Fire FC Reggae Boyz keeper Andre Blake injured in Union's victory over Chicago Fire FC

    Reggae Boyz goalkeeper Andre Blake suffered an injury during the Philadelphia Union’s 2-1 victory over Chicago Fire FC Wednesday night.

  • Tuchel slammed for creating PSG defensive chaos with Marquinhos use Tuchel slammed for creating PSG defensive chaos with Marquinhos use

    Thomas Tuchel has caused a defensive "mess" at Paris Saint-Germain by using Marquinhos in midfield, according to ex-striker Mevlut Erding.

    Brazil international Marquinhos has been deployed in midfield in recent games by PSG head coach Tuchel.

    The German has instead used midfielder Danilo Pereira, signed on loan from Porto, at the back.

    Erding, who made 109 appearances for PSG between 2009 and 2012, claimed Tuchel has made a tactical blunder with his use of the PSG skipper.

    "Marquinhos must be the leader of this team, but in defence. This is where he is the leader," Erding told L'Equipe.

    "It's a mess! In midfield, he loses his influence. I do not understand this choice of Thomas Tuchel. He could justify it before to troubleshoot, to tinker, when there was no Danilo Pereira.

    "Marquinhos will have the leadership of this team but in central defence. It is he who embodies the succession of Thiago Silva in all areas."

    PSG claimed a 2-0 victory over Istanbul Basaksehir on Wednesday to register their first win in the Champions League this season thanks to two goals from Everton loanee Moise Kean.

    They are top of Ligue 1 on goal difference ahead of second-placed Lille, who also have 18 points.

  • Barcelona could have scored eight goals against Juventus - Capello Barcelona could have scored eight goals against Juventus - Capello

    Barcelona were so dominant against Juventus that they could have scored eight times, according to "shocked" former Bianconeri boss Fabio Capello.

    Ousmane Dembele and Lionel Messi were on target as Barca ran out 2-0 winners in Wednesday's Champions League Group G clash at Allianz Stadium.

    Juve were without the self-isolating Cristiano Ronaldo once again and lost Merih Demiral to a red card six minutes before Messi doubled the visitors' advantage.

    Andrea Pirlo's men failed to register a shot on target, with Alvaro Morata having three goals correctly ruled out, while a previously out-of-sorts Barca tested Wojciech Szczesny four times.

    And Capello believes Juventus got off the hook lightly in the battle between two European superpowers, claiming that his old side were too ponderous when in possession.

    "Juventus suffered a lot against a Barcelona in crisis," Capello told Sky Sport Italia. "I was struck by the difference between a team under construction that also lost the Clasico and one at the top in Italy.

    "I was shocked by the difference in intensity and play. Barcelona really impressed me - they could have scored eight goals instead of two.

    "I saw an aggressive team and a lot of dynamism. Messi also contributed a lot."

    Capello felt Juve failed to make full use of Federico Chiesa on the left-hand side, instead looking to play through Paulo Dybala down the middle.

    Chiesa had 38 touches of the ball and completed 14 passes, whereas Dybala - who also played the full 90 minutes - had 55 touches and completed 37 successful passes.

    "Chiesa was often free in midfield but all the bets were always concentrated on Dybala and his part of the pitch," Capello said.

    "It was therefore not possible to open the game and Barcelona had a chance to recover the ball quickly. There was another speed and this makes me doubt what we have in Italy.

    "It was all of Juve that lacked speed, they were always pressed and anticipated."

    Barcelona's victory makes them just the third Spanish team to win a Champions League away game against Juventus after Real Madrid (April 2018) and Deportivo La Coruna (March 2004).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.