Rumour Has It: Neymar prepares fresh Barcelona return bid

By Sports Desk January 02, 2020

Neymar is reportedly preparing a fresh strategy in his bid to return to Barcelona.

The Paris Saint-Germain star was linked heavily with a move back to Camp Nou during the close season but ended up staying with the Ligue 1 giants.

However, Neymar seemingly still has his eyes set on a return to LaLiga's reigning champions.

 

TOP STORY – NEYMAR PREPARES FRESH BARCELONA RETURN BID

Neymar is preparing a legal strategy to return to Barcelona, according to Sport.

The 27-year-old wants to make the move and let FIFA impose the compensation he will have to pay to PSG to be released, the report says.

Neymar has scored nine goals in 12 games this season, having struggled with injuries.

ROUND-UP

- Christian Eriksen is wanted by several European heavyweights. Inter have expressed an interest in the Tottenham midfielder, according to the Daily Mail. Manchester United, PSG and Juventus have also been linked to the Denmark international, who is out of contract at season's end.

- Staying at Spurs, Napoli and Ajax are preparing to move for Jan Vertonghen, according to The Telegraph. Vertonghen is also out of contract at the end of the season.

- After missing out on Dejan Kulusevski to Juventus, Inter are setting up to land two major transfers ahead of 2020-21. La Gazzetta dello Sport believes the Nerazzurri  will try to sign Fiorentina star Federico Chiesa and Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali.

- While they are eyeing Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal, Inter will try to make Stefano Sensi's move from Sassuolo a permanent one in January, reports CalcioMercato. Sensi arrived on loan in July last year with an option to buy at the end of the season.

- Daniel Sturridge could be set for a return to the Premier League. The Sun claims Aston Villa could be set to offer the former Liverpool forward, who is playing for Trabzonspor, a return to England.

Related items

  • Napoli will not have a cage to stop Messi, says Gattuso Napoli will not have a cage to stop Messi, says Gattuso

    Gennaro Gattuso says Napoli will not have a cage to try and stop Lionel Messi when his side face Barcelona in the Champions League, as he urged his players to show no fear.

    Napoli go into the last-16 tie, which starts with a home first leg on Tuesday, as clear underdogs to progress.

    But Gattuso wants his team to show belief and, amid reports his players would try to isolate Messi from the rest of his team-mates with a unique man-marking strategy, insists there is only so much you can do to stop Barca's talisman.

    "You need to stand up to Barcelona," head coach Gattuso said at his pre-match news conference.

    "I want to see a lively team that plays without worry and with joy until the end. I want a Napoli side that are not afraid. 

    "We haven't played great at the San Paolo in recent weeks, except against Juventus, so I want to see a team that knows how to battle. It is fair to have respect for the opponent, but not fear.

    "I read that I would prepare a cage to stop Messi. It is not so, we need the collective to play the game and remember that there is not only Messi on the field.

    "Lorenzo Insigne said that Messi is a great player. He does things that I see only those who play the Play Station do, he has incredible quality.

    "And he's not only great at a footballing level. He is the greatest for how he has conducted his career. He's an example for kids to follow. He never says anything inappropriate.

    "You can't stop Messi, but in these moments my players have to try. We are playing against Barcelona, it is not only Messi.

    "It doesn't make sense to have a player man mark Messi but we will try some things in training and then we will see."

    Referring to Napoli icon Diego Maradona, Gattuso added: "He was the god of football, I saw him in many videotapes, but never live.

    "I know, however, the champion that Diego was, certainly one of the biggest in the world. 

    "Right now, Messi is the one who comes closest and does some of the things he did. I'm sorry I didn't see him live, I missed something wonderful. 

    "Barca have some important players missing, but Quique Setien is a great coach and with him they have returned to many of the things they did in the past. They win the ball back so quickly. We know it will take a great performance to win.

    "Can Napoli win the Champions League? Never say never. I thank the team and Carlo Ancelotti for their work as I haven't done anything to get here, but now I am excited."

  • Flick can guide Bayern to treble - Matthaus Flick can guide Bayern to treble - Matthaus

    Bayern Munich can win the treble under Hansi Flick this season, according to Lothar Matthaus.

    Flick took over as Bayern's interim coach in November with the defending Bundesliga champions in danger of being cut adrift in the title race.

    However, they now hold a one-point lead at the top of the table and face Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions League.

    Bayern are favourites for that tie, the first leg of which takes place on Tuesday at Stamford Bridge.

    Matthaus, who won seven Bundesliga titles with Bayern, is confident they will prove their superiority against the Blues and feels they can claim the European crown as well as the league and DFB-Pokal.

    "Since Flick has been coach, Bayern have been calm. This is comparable to the [Jupp] Heynckes period. The club and the entire environment have moved closer together," Matthaus told AZ.

    "This is transferred to the fans and the team. Hansi has a good feel for a team, he is great in human and communicative terms. 

    "I think three titles are possible, but everything has to fit. It is important that Lucas Hernandez and Kingsley Coman are in top shape to give the team more quality. 

    "There are now options in the squad again, strong players can also come from the squad. The Bayern 2013 treble-winning side also recognised this."

    On the tie with Chelsea, he said: "Bayern is the clear favourite. This is no longer the big Chelsea from the past with players like Michael Ballack, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.

    "It is a very young team that has undergone a change. Therefore I assume that Bayern will reach the next round with two good performances. 

    "In terms of quality, Bayern is well ahead of Chelsea. In the Premier League, the Blues are only fourth, more than 30 points behind Liverpool. N'Golo Kante is also injured. 

    "Overall, the team no longer has the shine of earlier days."

  • Matuidi set for another season at Juve after revealing contract option Matuidi set for another season at Juve after revealing contract option

    Blaise Matuidi revealed Juventus have exercised a clause in his contract to keep him at the club for another season.

    The France midfielder's deal with the defending Serie A champions had been due to expire at the end of this campaign.

    However, he is now contracted to the club until 2021 after Juve took up the option to retain his services.

    "In my contract there was an option for another year," he told Le Figaro.

    "Juventus have exercised it. I never had any doubts about it. I feel the trust of everyone."

    The World Cup winner joined Juve in 2017 after a decorated spell with PSG. He has twice lifted the Serie A title and tasted success in the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana in his time with the Bianconeri.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.