Mandzukic leaves Juventus to join Al-Duhail

By Sports Desk December 24, 2019

Al-Duhail have confirmed the signing of Mario Mandzukic from Juventus.

The Croatia international won four Serie A titles and the Coppa Italia on three occasions during a hugely successful four-and-a-half-year spell in Turin.

However, Mandzukic was deemed surplus to requirements by Juve boss Maurizio Sarri this season, failing to make an appearance for the first team as he was left out of their squad for the Champions League.

Previously linked with Manchester United, the 33-year-old has decided to move to Qatar to continue his career.

While Juventus did not immediately announce his departure, Al-Duhail tweeted a picture of the player signing his contract. Details of his deal were not disclosed.

Mandzukic was pivotal in Croatia's impressive run to the World Cup final last year, scoring three times during the tournament in Russia.

Prior to joining Juventus, the forward had stints in the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg, as well as a season at Atletico Madrid in LaLiga.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Pochettino and Raul waiting in wings for Madrid job, Man Utd in Camavinga battle Rumour Has It: Pochettino and Raul waiting in wings for Madrid job, Man Utd in Camavinga battle

    Is Zinedine Zidane's second spell in charge of Real Madrid coming to an end?

    Zidane guided Madrid to three successive Champions League titles in his first stint, and last season's LaLiga crown after returning to the Santiago Bernabeu in 2019.

    But the Los Blancos great is under mounting pressure amid the club's struggles this season.

     

    TOP STORY – ZIDANE IN DANGER

    Mauricio Pochettino and Raul are waiting in the wings to replace Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid, according to widespread reports in Spain.

    Madrid head coach Zidane is in danger of losing his job following Tuesday's Champions League loss to Shakhtar Donetsk.

    Los Blancos have suffered back-to-back defeats and three in their past five outings across all competitions to be seven points adrift in LaLiga and on the cusp of Champions League elimination.

    Thursday's Mundo Deportivo, Diario AS and Sport report former Tottenham boss Pochettino and Madrid Castilla coach Raul are eyeing the hot seat.

    ROUND-UP

    - Calciomercato claims the race to sign Rennes and France sensation Eduardo Camavinga is down to Madrid and Manchester United. Serie A champions Juventus had also been linked, though there has been talk of Paul Pogba returning to Turin after leaving for Old Trafford in 2016.

    - Bayern Munich star David Alaba is hoping to strike a January agreement with Chelsea, according to Fabrizio Romano's 'Here We Go Podcast'. Alaba is a free agent at the end of the season and he has been linked to the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

    Juventus have shown an interest in Barcelona centre-back Samuel Umtiti, according to Calciomercato. Arsenal's Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic are also on the shortlist.

    Madrid are eyeing Benfica forward Darwin Nunez, reports Calciomercato. The Uruguay international has also caught the attention of LaLiga rivals Barca.

    - What does the future hold for Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland? Heavily linked to United, Madrid, Liverpool, PSG and even Barca, Calciomercato says Juve are monitoring the Norwegian closely.

  • Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again

    Neymar caused a stir after inspiring Paris Saint-Germain to victory over Manchester United when he said he wants to link up with Lionel Messi in 2021.

    The Brazil star scored twice to help PSG to a 3-1 win at Old Trafford, a result that puts them in a strong position to reach the Champions League knockout stages.

    Neymar joined the Ligue 1 champions from Barca for a world-record €222million fee in 2017, partly, it has been suggested, to escape the shadow of Messi at Barcelona.

    The Catalans won the treble in 2014-15 with an attacking trident of Neymar, Messi and Luis Suarez, but it has been claimed the former Santos man left Camp Nou so he could have a better chance of winning the Ballon d'Or.

    Neymar has since repeatedly been tipped to return to Spain but has made it clear he will stay in Paris until at least the end of the 2020-21 season.

    Messi failed to engineer a move away from Barca in the previous transfer window but, with his contract running out next June, it remains unclear whether he will choose to leave next year.

    For his part, Neymar wants nothing more than to reunite with his old team-mate, telling ESPN on Wednesday: "What I want most is to play with Messi again.

    "I want to play with him. I'll let him play in my position if he wants!

    "Next year, we have to play together, for sure."

    Neymar's two goals over United took him to 38 in the Champions League in his career. Since his debut in 2013, only Cristiano Ronaldo (79), Robert Lewandowski (60) and Messi (59) have scored more.

    PSG's victory means they are level on nine points with United and RB Leipzig in Group H heading into matchday six next week.

    A win for Thomas Tuchel's side over Istanbul Basaksehir will guarantee they progress as winners of the group.

  • Ronaldo thanks players, coaches and opponents after netting 750th goal Ronaldo thanks players, coaches and opponents after netting 750th goal

    Cristiano Ronaldo thanked "players, coaches and loyal opponents" after the Juventus star scored the 750th goal of his remarkable career.

    Ronaldo reached the milestone with a simple finish 57 minutes into Juve's 3-0 win over Dynamo Kiev in their Champions League Group G clash on Wednesday.

    It was his 75th across all competitions for Juve, who Ronaldo joined from Real Madrid – where he scored 450 goals – in 2018.

    The 35-year-old, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, reached that mammoth total for Madrid in just 438 matches across all competitions, following his then world-record move from Manchester United in 2009.

    During his six-year stint at Old Trafford, he scored 118 times for the Red Devils.

    Ronaldo, who recently surpassed the 100-goal mark for Portugal, becoming only the second male footballer to reach a century at international level after Iran's Ali Daei, is comfortably Madrid's all-time leading scorer, with 127 more goals than Los Blancos legend Raul, whose haul came from 741 appearances.

    Despite missing several weeks of the campaign after testing positive for coronavirus, Ronaldo has been in fine form this season, having netted eight times from just four Serie A starts, though his strike against Dynamo was only his second in the Champions League this term.

    Following his landmark achievement, Ronaldo used his official Twitter account to thank not only his team-mates and coaches – he has worked under the likes of Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Zinedine Zidane – but also his opponents.

    "750 goals, 750 happy moments, 750 smiles in the faces of our supporters," he wrote. 

    "Thank you to all the players and coaches that helped me reach this amazing number, thank you to all my loyal opponents that made me work harder and harder everyday."

    Ronaldo will now set his sights on goal 751 when Juve take on Torino on Saturday – he has scored three goals from his four Serie A appearances against the Bianconeri's city rivals.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.