Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked by Napoli despite steering the Serie A club into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night.

Napoli beat Genk 4-0 at home on Tuesday to end a run of nine games without a victory in all competitions, securing second place in Group E behind Liverpool.

Rumours that Ancelotti was set to depart the Stadio San Paolo after just over 18 months in the role have been growing in Italy, with suggestions ex-Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso has already been lined up as his replacement.

After the Genk win, Ancelotti indicated he would not be resigning from his post but said he would be holding talks with club president Aurelio De Laurentiis over his future.

Napoli announced Ancelotti's departure in a short statement posted on social media just hours later.

The statement said: "Napoli has decided to revoke the role of technical manager of the first team from Mr Carlo Ancelotti. 

"The relations of friendship, esteem and mutual respect between the company, its president Aurelio De Laurentiis and Carlo Ancelotti remain intact."

Speaking at a news conference after the Genk win, Ancelotti said of his future: "As of today, I'm still on the bench and I hope I will be on it for the next game too.

"I have no decisions to take, no assessment to make, except for the one with the president, who will decide, based on his indications, whether we can go forward or not. There's not much else to discuss.

"The fact that I am at risk is absolutely normal, it's part of this world. The team, as you [the media] have written many times, has had a negative performance in the league.

"Nothing to complain about what we did in the Champions League, but what we did in the league was - in light of our path in the Champions League - insufficient."

Ancelotti, a three-time winner of the Champions League as a coach, has now been sacked by his last three clubs having previously been fired by both Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

The 60-year-old has been linked with a return to the Premier League having coached Chelsea to the title in 2009-10.

Ancelotti is reportedly of interest to both Arsenal and Everton, who have sacked Unai Emery and Marco Silva respectively within the last two weeks.

Napoli finished second in the Serie A table last term, 11 points behind champions Juventus, but are seventh this term after a poor run of form.

Related items

  • The happiest defeat of my career – Lyon boss Garcia revels in Champions League progress The happiest defeat of my career – Lyon boss Garcia revels in Champions League progress

    Rudi Garcia called Lyon's loss to Juventus "the happiest defeat of my career" as his side earned a place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    Memphis Depay's early penalty ultimately earned an away-goals victory for Lyon, despite Cristiano Ronaldo's double in Turin meaning the last-16 tie ended 2-2.

    Manchester City, who overcame Real Madrid in Friday's other fixture, await the Ligue 1 side in the last eight on August 15 in Lisbon, and the result left former Roma coach Garcia revelling in his team's success.

    "It's one of the most satisfying moments of my career and getting past Juventus really is an exploit," Garcia told Sky Italia.

    "The penalty we conceded just before half-time hurt us, Juve hadn't been that dangerous until then and it gave them confidence.

    "Ronaldo then scored that real Champions League level goal, but we stayed calm and that was what I appreciated the most about my team. We didn't panic, we kept plugging away and everyone contributed to keeping the ball.

    "It was tough for Juve to do better without Paulo Dybala, but we proved that we have a strong defence, as we also held out Paris Saint-Germain for 120 minutes in the cup last week.

    "I know this stadium, I came here with Roma, so I know how tough it is to win here. Let's just say this is the happiest defeat of my career!"

    Garcia was not a universally accepted appointment at Lyon, with the Frenchman having coached rivals Marseille between 2016 and 2019.

    He guided Lyon to a seventh-place finish in Ligue 1 in 2019-20, with France's top-flight ended early due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Juventus ready to rely on Ronaldo again but Sarri to be assessed Juventus ready to rely on Ronaldo again but Sarri to be assessed

    Juventus expect to have Cristiano Ronaldo leading the line again next season, but Maurizio Sarri's future is set to be assessed.

    The Bianconeri won a ninth straight Serie A title but could not add a European crown as they exited the Champions League in the last 16 on Friday.

    A 2-1 win over Lyon was not enough to advance, with the Ligue 1 team going through on away goals after their 1-0 home success in February.

    Ronaldo's contributions could not be criticised, though, as the Champions League's record goalscorer scored twice in an attempted fightback.

    Juve chairman Andrea Agnelli certainly had no issue with his number seven, telling Sky Italia: "I am convinced that Ronaldo will stay with us. Cristiano is a pillar of Juventus."

    Sarri's status is a little less certain, however.

    Despite the Scudetto win, Juve have flattered to deceive too often this season and Agnelli is now preparing to assess the campaign as a whole.

    "We take a few days to reflect and make assessments in order to be able to restart with renewed enthusiasm next season," he said.

    "You cannot focus only on the missed goal, but also on the one achieved. We won the Scudetto and that was one of the main objectives.

    "It should not be that one game that leads to judgement but an analysis of what happened in a very tough season. Everything will be evaluated with the staff, with the coach, with the trainers.

    "One has to focus on everything. The evaluations will affect everyone.

    "Juventus have clear objectives and these must be honoured. We have the best player in the Champions League, as he demonstrated this evening.

    "We must start again with renewed enthusiasm, without taking for granted what happens in Serie A."

    Sarri was already confident the Lyon match would not decide his future, explaining so before the match and adding afterwards: "I don't think my words were hard to interpret.

    "I don't think top-level executives make decisions based on one match. These questions seem offensive to the management. If I were the management, I would intervene when there are these questions.

    "What do I expect from the future? I have a contract and I expect to fulfill the contract."

    Indeed, Sarri had few regrets following Friday's game, feeling the tie was instead lost in Lyon.

    "If I were not devastated, I would be happy with the game," he said. "We went out because of the first half in Lyon. This is a competition that takes no prisoners. One defeat and we are out."

  • I am the coach of Real Madrid, that's it – Zidane dismisses doubts over his future I am the coach of Real Madrid, that's it – Zidane dismisses doubts over his future

    Zinedine Zidane moved to stamp out any speculation over his future on Friday, insisting he will be the Real Madrid coach next season.

    Madrid's 2019-20 campaign finally came to an end at the Etihad Stadium with a 2-1 defeat to Manchester City in the Champions League – Los Blancos exiting the competition with a 4-2 aggregate loss.

    The club do have the league title to show for the campaign, and it is their first LaLiga crown since 2017.

    Asked if he planned to be in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2020-21, Zidane gave a defiant response.

    "Well, I'm here, I'm Madrid's coach until something happens which is out of the ordinary. I'm here, of course," he told a news conference.

    "You don't have to think anything. I am the coach of Madrid, and that's it. 

    "There are no more questions to ask in this regard. Now we are all going to rest and we will return to have a great season."

    Raphael Varane's error gifted Raheem Sterling an early opener in Manchester, though Karim Benzema's excellent header gave Madrid hope midway through the first half.

    However, their chances of progressing to the quarter-finals were dealt a fatal blow in the 68th minute – Gabriel Jesus pouncing on a second Varane calamity to seal the win for City.

    Zidane, though, is adamant his team must be proud of their achievements this term.

    "We need to be proud. I'm certainly very proud of what we've achieved," he added.

    "We can't, when we lose, be happy. The players aren't happy, for sure. But what we can be proud of is that we have had a great season.

    "The key today was to give everything on the pitch and that’s what we did, we were just missing a little something, I don't know what.

    "I think we've still got to be happy with the season. We will see what will happen next season. For now, we rest a little."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.