Ronaldo scoops Serie A award on day Messi beats him to record Ballon d'Or

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo has officially been named the best player in Serie A last season, a few hours after Lionel Messi beat him to a record sixth Ballon d'Or crown.

Ronaldo dodged the glitzy Ballon d'Or ceremony in Paris on Monday to instead attend the annual Gran Gala del Calcio in Milan, where he was honoured for his successful maiden campaign with Juve.

He scored 21 league goals in 2018-19 to help the Bianconeri to an eighth successive Scudetto and has six goals in 11 starts this term, despite injury issues curtailing his playing time over the past month.

"It is a proud moment to win this award," Ronaldo said upon collecting the award, which was won by Mauro Icardi, then of Inter, 12 months ago.

"I want to thank my Juventus team-mates. It was my first year in Serie A, a difficult league, and I am very happy. Thank you for voting for me.

"I will now try to repeat what I've done over the next year."

Ronaldo has been struggling with a knee injury in recent weeks and reacted angrily to being hauled off in wins over Lokomotiv Moscow and Milan last month.

However, Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici insisted the Portugal international – who finished third in the Ballon d'Or running behind Messi and Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk – will remain in Turin beyond the end of the campaign.

"This talk makes me smile because there are other problems," Paratici told Sky Sport Italia.

"Ronaldo is ambitious and came to Juventus to prove he is the best here too. We thought he should have won the Ballon d'Or – the rankings are always questionable.

"He will be a Juventus player next season, without a doubt. 

"We must thank him for making himself available to [Maurizio] Sarri, even though he has not been in optimal condition. Having not been able to train properly for a while, it is normal that he is not at his best."

Related items

  • Lampard: Ancelotti capable of coaching anywhere Lampard: Ancelotti capable of coaching anywhere

    Frank Lampard backed Carlo Ancelotti to bounce back at the top level after Napoli sacked the experienced Italian on Tuesday.

    Ancelotti was dismissed three hours after leading the club to a 4-0 victory over Genk, which confirmed their place in the Champions League knockout rounds.

    Poor results in Serie A and rumours of discontent at Stadio San Paolo had placed pressure on the ex-Milan head coach for a number of weeks.

    Links to the vacant posts at Everton and Arsenal have already emerged and Blues boss Lampard, who played under Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge, suggested the 60-year-old would have no trouble finding another high-profile position.

    "I have huge respect for him, I am very sorry for him," Lampard said after Chelsea's win over Lille.

    "I know it was a tough job for him lately. I saw his interview before the game and I thought it was a very typically classy interview in what seemed a very tough time for him. He always handles himself brilliantly.

    "I think he can work anywhere in the world at the top level, of course."

    Ancelotti is a three-time Champions League winner as a coach and boasts league titles in Italy, Germany, France and England, but his most recent jobs have produced mixed results.

    He spent just over 18 months in charge of Napoli and leaves with the club sitting seventh in Serie A.

    Former Partenopei player Jorginho said: "I didn't know about it. I'm really sorry. I never met him but I heard a lot of good things about him from my former team-mates.

    "They told me he is a great man and manager. I'm sorry for everything that is happening in Napoli. It's a difficult moment for them.

    "I hope that they will be back at the top as they were for years until this bad moment. I'm really surprised. I was not expecting Napoli [to have] trouble and I'm sorry, because I'll always love Napoli."

    Napoli are expected to name Gennaro Gattuso as Ancelotti's replacement.

  • Ansu Fati is a 'born scorer', says Valverde Ansu Fati is a 'born scorer', says Valverde

    Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde described Ansu Fati as a "born scorer" after the teenager made history against Inter in the Champions League.

    Fati, 17, became the youngest goalscorer in the competition's history, netting a late winner in a 2-1 victory at San Siro on Tuesday.

    The attacker has three goals this season and Valverde praised the Spain youth international, whose strike came after Romelu Lukaku had cancelled out Carles Perez's opener in the Group F clash.

    "They [Fati and Perez] are two players who have reached the first team this year. Young players, very young in the case of Ansu," Valverde told a news conference, via AS. 

    "The game was complicated, especially for Carles Perez because they had an experienced defence and he started, but he has a goal because he hits the ball well. 

    "Ansu has been going through some physical difficulty, with some discomfort, but he is a born scorer."

    Barcelona had already booked their place in the last 16 and they finished top of the group as Inter were eliminated.

    Valverde talked up the importance of the Champions League to the Catalans, who last lifted the trophy in 2015.

    "We have a very big obligation with our club and with this competition," he said.

    "We have shown that you have to win everywhere and today's game was not going to be an exception."

    After criticism earlier in the season, Barcelona top LaLiga and are on a six-match winning run in all competitions.

    But Valverde wants to see more from his team, who make the trip to Real Sociedad on Saturday.

    "We are fine, but I like to see everything in a more continuous way. At first we had difficulties," he said.

    "This group phase has been difficult for us. We suffered to overcome Inter, to win at Slavia [Prague]. But we are here and we have a tremendous challenge with three games in a week and we want to close well."

  • Conte insists he has 'no complaints' despite rueing finishing in costly Barca defeat Conte insists he has 'no complaints' despite rueing finishing in costly Barca defeat

    Antonio Conte was rueful regarding Inter's poor finishing in Tuesday's costly 2-1 Champions League defeat to Barcelona but insisted he had "no complaints" after elimination from the competition.

    Inter needed to at least match Borussia Dortmund's result against Slavia Prague, but the Germans claimed a 2-1 victory and the Nerazzurri did not do enough in San Siro.

    Despite early dominance and a flurry of chances, Inter found themselves trailing in the 23rd minute when Carles Perez swept home in composed fashion.

    Romelu Lukaku equalised before half-time, but he was otherwise wasteful and Ansu Fati, 17, secured Barca the three points four minutes from time to become the youngest Champions League scorer in history.

    Conte acknowledged Inter had enough clear-cut opportunities to beat Barca.

    "We had the chances to win the game, we created those opportunities, but lacked that clinical edge to convert them," he told reporters.

    "I have no complaints to make, as my players gave their all. We just lacked a goal and instead conceded at the other end to go 2-1 down, which really killed us.

    "Watching that Ansu Fati goal is painful, as it killed us in every way. We were pushing, creating the chances to score and go 2-1 up.

    "I was also disappointed for the fans in San Siro, as they pushed us from start to finish and created a wonderful atmosphere. It should've ended differently.

    "I think we deserved more in this group. Still, I think it's all valuable experience. We wanted to qualify, so there is disappointment from everyone right now, but as I told them, we have to raise our heads again."

    Inter finished third in the group, meaning they will drop into the Europa League in the New Year. They will find out their next opponents in Monday's draw.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.