Zorc confident Sancho will not push for January Dortmund exit

By Sports Desk November 29, 2019

Jadon Sancho's issues at Borussia Dortmund have been dealt with and a January departure is not expected, insists sporting director Michael Zorc.

Sancho is Dortmund's star man but has endured a difficult spell this month, as he was hauled off in the first half of a 4-0 Klassiker rout at the hands of Bayern Munich and then started on the bench against Barcelona in midweek.

Under-fire coach Lucien Favre claimed he preferred to select players who are "focused and ready", although the England international scored after coming on.

However, Zorc is confident Dortmund have managed the issue, meaning Sancho - linked with a host of top clubs, including Manchester United - should remain at Signal Iduna Park at least until the end of the season.

"We've cleared everything internally in the team and with the player," Zorc told a news conference on Friday ahead of the trip to Hertha Berlin.

"It's done, we're looking forward. Jadon is another regular player and he is part of our team.

"I believe that when he came on against Barcelona, ​​we witnessed a good response and he did a very good job.

"I do not have the impression that he wants to prepare for a January move. We talked to him and his agency. We hope he shows his best possible performance tomorrow."

Zorc also reiterated his backing of Favre, who has Dortmund sixth in the Bundesliga and winless in three in all competitions.

"Everything has already been said," Zorc said. "We have faith in Lucien, he works very hard and wants to reverse the trend.

"We believe he can do it in this situation, we stay in the reality and do not go into speculation."

Related items

  • Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc

    Jadon Sancho is staying at Borussia Dortmund despite reported interest from Manchester United, according to the Bundesliga club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

    England international Sancho – who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017 – has become a star in the Bundesliga.

    Sancho provided 20 assists and scored 20 goals in all competitions for Dortmund in 2019-20, after scoring 13 times and setting up 19 goals in the previous season.

    Premier League giants United are rumoured to have made signing the 20-year-old a top priority but on Monday – reportedly a deadline Dortmund had set for any deal to be struck – Zorc insisted the winger, whose current deal runs until 2022, was staying put.

    "We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final," Zorc told reporters at Dortmund's pre-season training camp.

    "I think that answers all our questions."

    "Last summer we adjusted Jadon's salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then."

  • Man Utd-linked Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan, says agent Man Utd-linked Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan, says agent

    Alex Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan to find regular playing time elsewhere, the goalkeeper's agent Federico Pastorello has revealed.

    The one-cap Italy international featured 29 times for Napoli in 2019-20 but had to alternate with David Ospina in the closing weeks of the season.

    Gennaro Gattuso has yet to make a decision on his first choice going forward and Meret is considering his future, two years after joining from Udinese in a reported €35m deal.

    Manchester United have been tipped to make a move for the 23-year-old amid concerns over David de Gea, while Roma and Torino have also registered an interest.

    "Alex needs to accumulate as many starts as possible to grow more and more," Pastorello told Rai Sport. 

    "At his age there are goalkeepers who have been immovable for a long time.

    "If we do not succeed, we can consider going out on loan. In fact, we know that Roma and Torino are very interested in negotiating."

    Meret was among the subs for Napoli's 3-1 loss to Barcelona on Saturday as the Italian side's Champions League campaign ended with a 4-2 aggregate defeat in the last-16 tie. 

  • Brisbane Roar 1-1 Sydney FC: Premiers held as winless run spans to four matches Brisbane Roar 1-1 Sydney FC: Premiers held as winless run spans to four matches

    Luke Ivanovic's first goal of the A-League season was not enough to prevent Sydney FC's winless run stretching to a fourth match, as they were held 1-1 by Brisbane Roar. 

    Sydney have struggled for momentum since being crowned premiers for a record fourth time on July 25 and were behind early on in Monday's clash at McDonald Jones Stadium. 

    Dylan Wenzel-Halls latched on to Jay O'Shea's throughball - possibly intended for Scott McDonald - and coolly lifted over Andrew Redmayne with 11 minutes on the clock. 

    However, three minutes after hitting the post, young winger Ivanovic got off the mark for the season with an impressive curled finish into the top-right corner. 

    The visitors came closest to winning the game in a goalless second half, Jamie Young producing a number of good saves, including a triple stop 17 minutes from the end. 

    Sydney could not find a way through and are now on their longest streak without a win since April 2016, while the Roar are unbeaten in three heading into the Elimination Final.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.