Rumour Has It: Mourinho eyes Bale, but Spurs won't spend in January

By Sports Desk November 21, 2019

Jose Mourinho seemingly has Gareth Bale in his Tottenham plans, but he will have to wait until before the start of next season.

Mourinho was named Spurs head coach on Wednesday, a day after the Premier League club sacked Mauricio Pochettino.

Unsurprisingly, there is plenty of talk around his potential movements in the transfer market – including a Tottenham return for Bale.

 

TOP STORY – MOURINHO EYES BALE, BUT CAN'T SPEND IN JANUARY

Mourinho's arrival at Tottenham offers Bale the perfect escape route from Real Madrid, according to AS.

The star attacker left Spurs for Madrid in 2013, but is set to leave the LaLiga giants at season's end, the report says.

Marca reports Madrid have ruled out a January exit for Bale. That would suit Mourinho, who has been told there is no money to spend in the January window, according to The Guardian.

ROUND-UP

- Mourinho has more pressing matters at Spurs. The Mirror reports Christian Eriksen, Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld, who are out of contract at season's end, are intrigued by the prospect of working under Mourinho and are open minded about their futures.

- It could have been different for Spurs. According to the Daily Mail, Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers was Tottenham's first choice before they turned to Mourinho.

- Meanwhile, the sacked Pochettino may not be out of management for too long. Barcelona and Bayern Munich are ready to pounce for the former Spurs manager, according to The Sun. Ernesto Valverde is under pressure at Camp Nou, while interim boss Hansi Flick will coach Bayern until at least the end of the year.

- Zlatan Ibrahimovic may be getting closer to sorting out his future. Sky Sport reports AC Milan spoke to the departing LA Galaxy striker's agent Mino Raiola on Wednesday about the possibility of a return to San Siro.

- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is in no rush to renew his Arsenal contract and with good reason. Sport reports the forward is waiting to find out how serious Barcelona's interest in him is before extending a deal that runs until 2021.

- Needing a striker, Manchester United are considering a January move for Roma's Edin Dzeko, according to ESPN FC. Dzeko has scored five goals in 12 Serie A games this season, and United are looking to finally bolster their attack after losing Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez in the close season.

- Olivier Giroud has made just one Premier League start for Chelsea this season and the striker could be set for a January exit. La Gazzetta dello Sport says Inter are considering a move for Giroud in January as they look for a back-up for Lukaku.

Related items

  • Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc

    Jadon Sancho is staying at Borussia Dortmund despite reported interest from Manchester United, according to the Bundesliga club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

    England international Sancho – who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017 – has become a star in the Bundesliga.

    Sancho provided 20 assists and scored 20 goals in all competitions for Dortmund in 2019-20, after scoring 13 times and setting up 19 goals in the previous season.

    Premier League giants United are rumoured to have made signing the 20-year-old a top priority but on Monday – reportedly a deadline Dortmund had set for any deal to be struck – Zorc insisted the winger, whose current deal runs until 2022, was staying put.

    "We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final," Zorc told reporters at Dortmund's pre-season training camp.

    "I think that answers all our questions."

    "Last summer we adjusted Jadon's salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then."

  • Mancini: Pirlo is lucky but a good choice for Juventus Mancini: Pirlo is lucky but a good choice for Juventus

    Andrea Pirlo is lucky to be starting his coaching career at Juventus, according to Roberto Mancini, but the Italy boss believes the club have made a good call.

    Pirlo was appointed as Juve's new head coach on Saturday, a matter of hours after Maurizio Sarri was relieved of his duties.

    Sarri led Juve to a ninth straight Serie A crown this season, but failed to improve their standing in the Champions League as they headed out on the away goals rule against Lyon in the last 16 on Friday.

    The role is Pirlo's first as a coach and while Mancini feels the Italy great is fortunate to have landed such a high-profile job, he thinks it will prove to be an astute appointment.

    "I did not expect Juventus to go out [of the Champions League]," Mancini told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I was sure they would have advanced.

    "But it was a terrible, unpredictable and difficult year. Especially for those who have made changes, like Juve. Sarri wasn't able to bring through his football.

    "[Pirlo] is lucky. He starts from the top and with the best team. Maybe I didn't start from the bottom, but I started at Fiorentina, not with Juve.

    "Jokes aside, if I was searching, I would have been looking at Andrea. He has great knowledge of football. Like [Daniele] De Rossi. I would have liked to work with him.

    "There's always a first time. Andrea opens up a new path. Let's follow him. Good luck to him."

    With Juve and Napoli exiting the Champions League in the last 16, only one Italian side – Atalanta – remain in the competition.

    They go up against Paris Saint-Germain in the last eight and Mancini believes Atalanta can play with full confidence against the Ligue 1 champions.

    "Let's calm down and think of PSG, who are a great team and have more experience," Mancini said.

    "They are certainly not at the top. They have lost [Edinson] Cavani, will not have [Angel] Di Maria, [Marco] Verratti, [Kylian] Mbappe and some others who are in doubt.

    "Their championship was stopped in March, but regardless of this, Atalanta have every right to play the quarter-final with confidence."

  • Man Utd-linked Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan, says agent Man Utd-linked Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan, says agent

    Alex Meret will consider leaving Napoli on loan to find regular playing time elsewhere, the goalkeeper's agent Federico Pastorello has revealed.

    The one-cap Italy international featured 29 times for Napoli in 2019-20 but had to alternate with David Ospina in the closing weeks of the season.

    Gennaro Gattuso has yet to make a decision on his first choice going forward and Meret is considering his future, two years after joining from Udinese in a reported €35m deal.

    Manchester United have been tipped to make a move for the 23-year-old amid concerns over David de Gea, while Roma and Torino have also registered an interest.

    "Alex needs to accumulate as many starts as possible to grow more and more," Pastorello told Rai Sport. 

    "At his age there are goalkeepers who have been immovable for a long time.

    "If we do not succeed, we can consider going out on loan. In fact, we know that Roma and Torino are very interested in negotiating."

    Meret was among the subs for Napoli's 3-1 loss to Barcelona on Saturday as the Italian side's Champions League campaign ended with a 4-2 aggregate defeat in the last-16 tie. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.