Courtois attributes criticism to being one of world's best goalkeepers

By Sports Desk November 14, 2019

Real Madrid's Thibaut Courtois claimed his status as one of the world's best goalkeepers brought unwarranted criticism in the early part of the new campaign.

Courtois bore a large share of the blame for Madrid's disappointing results at the start of the season, at one stage conceding nine goals in the space of 14 shots on target.

His performances prompted debate over the club's decision to part with Keylor Navas – who moved to Paris Saint-Germain – but the Belgium international has since rediscovered some of his best form.

The former Chelsea man has kept eight successive clean sheets for club and country, restoring his reputation as one of the game's finest keepers.

"I don't read the press, I only pay attention to what the coach or my team-mates say to me," Courtois, who moved to Madrid in 2018, said from Belgium's national team camp ahead of Euro 2020 qualifying.

"If they haven't been a goalkeeper themselves, how can they know how it all works?

"I don't doubt my own ability. I am one of the best goalkeepers in the world and sometimes that's why they criticise me. I'm calm about it because I made some good saves against Celta [Vigo], Sevilla and Atletico [Madrid], and in other games.

"I'm playing at a good level, it's turning out to be a good start to the season and I have to continue this way."

Zinedine Zidane last month substituted Courtois at half-time of the Champions League draw with Club Brugge, leading Madrid to issue a denial of reports which claimed the 27-year-old was dealing with an anxiety problem.

Courtois skipped the following LaLiga match against Granada before returning in a 1-0 loss to Real Mallorca.

"Zidane told me that I'd continue as first-choice, and asked me to keep focused," Courtois said. "He's always had faith in me."

Related items

  • Guardiola 'confident' Garcia will stay at Man City amid Barcelona links Guardiola 'confident' Garcia will stay at Man City amid Barcelona links

    Pep Guardiola is confident Eric Garcia will stay at Manchester City amid reported interest from Barcelona.

    Garcia, 19, has been linked with a return to the LaLiga club, the outfit he left to join City in 2017.

    The Spain youth international has made nine Premier League appearances this season, but was an unused substitute in Wednesday's 5-0 thrashing of Newcastle United.

    City manager Guardiola said he would try to convince Garcia to stay at the club for "many, many, many years".

    "I am confident he will stay but in the end it is his decision," he told a news conference.

    "He knows we want him but it was the same with Leroy [Sane, who has joined Bayern Munich]. We want him but if he doesn't want to stay we cannot do anything else.

    "He knows, his agent knows, his family knows that we want him. And if Barcelona want him, they have to call Txiki [Begiristain, City director of football]."

    City are away to Brighton and Hove Albion in the Premier League on Saturday.

  • Suarez moves third on Barca's all-time scoring list Suarez moves third on Barca's all-time scoring list

    Barcelona star Luis Suarez surpassed Ladislau Kubala for third spot on the club's all-time goalscoring list.

    Suarez leapfrogged Kubala with his 195th Barca goal from 278 appearances in Wednesday's 1-0 win over LaLiga rivals Espanyol.

    The 33-year-old forward broke the deadlock in the 56th minute to move Barca within a point of leaders Real Madrid, while relegating Espanyol.

    Suarez already eclipsed Josep Samitier's 184-goal haul in October, with only two players above him – superstar captain Lionel Messi (630) and Cesar (232).

    Since arriving from Premier League giants Liverpool in 2014, Suarez has flourished and even contributed 97 assists for Barca.

    Suarez has won four LaLiga titles, the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup among other honours at Camp Nou.

  • Setien unworried about Real Madrid as Barcelona continue chase Setien unworried about Real Madrid as Barcelona continue chase

    Quique Setien is unworried about Real Madrid after Barcelona moved back within a point of their rivals with a 1-0 win over Espanyol on Wednesday.

    Both teams were reduced to 10 men in the derby clash at Camp Nou before Luis Suarez scored the 56th-minute winner.

    Barca have played one more game than rivals Madrid, who are a point clear at the top and host Deportivo Alaves on Friday.

    But Setien is refusing to worry about Zinedine Zidane's side, with Madrid having four league games left to play.

    "It is not our business. We have to worry about ourselves," the Barca head coach told Movistar.

    "What Madrid does we will see."

    After Ansu Fati was sent off in the 50th minute, Pol Lozano saw red for Espanyol three minutes later.

    Setien accepted his team were below their best three days after crushing Villarreal, with Suarez's goal boosting their title chances.

    "We did not have a great match. They have made it difficult for us in defence," he said.

    "We have not found spaces nor have we had precision to handle ourselves."

    Barcelona's busy run of fixtures continues with a clash against Real Valladolid on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.