Tonali not daunted by €300m price tag amid growing interest

By Sports Desk November 13, 2019

Sandro Tonali insisted he is "not scared" about his €300million valuation as Europe's elite eye the Brescia and Italy sensation.

Brescia owner and president Massimo Cellino said it would take an offer of €300m for the Serie A side to part with prized asset Tonali.

Tonali – who broke into Brescia's first team at the age of 17 – has been linked to Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Atletico Madrid, Inter and Manchester United.

Asked about the price tag ahead of Italy's Euro 2020 qualifier against Bosnia-Herzegovina, the 19-year-old playmaker – who made his international debut last month – told Rai Sport: "I love President Cellino very much and he rates me highly.

"He's a great person and I hope to travel down a good road with him.

"After the match against Fiorentina, he said he wouldn't even sell me for €300m, but that doesn't scare me, even if it really is a lot of money.

"I'm confident about what we'll do this season. For now I'm not thinking about the market, I just want to help Brescia stay up."

Tonali came off the bench to make his Italy bow in the country's 5-0 rout of Liechtenstein in Euro 2020 qualifying on October 15.

The Brescia star has been compared to Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso and Daniele De Rossi – who now plays for Boca Juniors.

On those comparisons, Tonali added: "Being compared to Pirlo doesn't bother me, but I think we're very different because he had indescribable technique and quality.

"I consider myself to be like Gattuso but more technical. He's always been my role model."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar over Ronaldo Rumour Has It: PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar over Ronaldo

    Paris Saint-Germain are focused on Kylian Mbappe and Neymar over Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Mbappe and Neymar have both been linked with moves away from the Ligue 1 champions, while Ronaldo has reportedly been a target for PSG previously.

    PSG seemingly know where their priorities are.

     

    TOP STORY – PSG FOCUS ON MBAPPE, NEYMAR OVER RONALDO

    PSG would prefer to extend the contracts of Mbappe and Neymar than chase Juventus star Ronaldo, according to ESPN.

    Mbappe and Neymar are both coming to the end of their contracts in 2022 and have been linked to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Arsenal are reportedly ready to splash the cash. The Sun says the Premier League side are set to spend £100million on Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos, Atletico Madrid's Thomas Partey and Lille's Gabriel Magalhaes, but must sell at least three players.

    - With Eric Garcia set to leave Manchester City, Barcelona are preparing a move. The Sun reports Barca will make a €15.5m (£14m) bid for the defender.

    - Will Chelsea find a way to land West Ham star Declan Rice? The Daily Star says Chelsea are looking to raise £65m to land the midfielder.

    - Liverpool continue to be linked with moves. The Liverpool Echo reports Watford attacker Ismaila Sarr is on the Premier League champions' shortlist.

    - Staying at Anfield and Yahoo reports Liverpool are tracking Vasco da Gama's 18-year-old forward Talles Magno.

    - Ryan Sessegnon continues to be linked with a move from Tottenham. The Guardian reports Ajax are interested in Sessegnon on loan.

  • Juventus ready to rely on Ronaldo again but Sarri to be assessed Juventus ready to rely on Ronaldo again but Sarri to be assessed

    Juventus expect to have Cristiano Ronaldo leading the line again next season, but Maurizio Sarri's future is set to be assessed.

    The Bianconeri won a ninth straight Serie A title but could not add a European crown as they exited the Champions League in the last 16 on Friday.

    A 2-1 win over Lyon was not enough to advance, with the Ligue 1 team going through on away goals after their 1-0 home success in February.

    Ronaldo's contributions could not be criticised, though, as the Champions League's record goalscorer scored twice in an attempted fightback.

    Juve chairman Andrea Agnelli certainly had no issue with his number seven, telling Sky Italia: "I am convinced that Ronaldo will stay with us. Cristiano is a pillar of Juventus."

    Sarri's status is a little less certain, however.

    Despite the Scudetto win, Juve have flattered to deceive too often this season and Agnelli is now preparing to assess the campaign as a whole.

    "We take a few days to reflect and make assessments in order to be able to restart with renewed enthusiasm next season," he said.

    "You cannot focus only on the missed goal, but also on the one achieved. We won the Scudetto and that was one of the main objectives.

    "It should not be that one game that leads to judgement but an analysis of what happened in a very tough season. Everything will be evaluated with the staff, with the coach, with the trainers.

    "One has to focus on everything. The evaluations will affect everyone.

    "Juventus have clear objectives and these must be honoured. We have the best player in the Champions League, as he demonstrated this evening.

    "We must start again with renewed enthusiasm, without taking for granted what happens in Serie A."

    Sarri was already confident the Lyon match would not decide his future, explaining so before the match and adding afterwards: "I don't think my words were hard to interpret.

    "I don't think top-level executives make decisions based on one match. These questions seem offensive to the management. If I were the management, I would intervene when there are these questions.

    "What do I expect from the future? I have a contract and I expect to fulfill the contract."

    Indeed, Sarri had few regrets following Friday's game, feeling the tie was instead lost in Lyon.

    "If I were not devastated, I would be happy with the game," he said. "We went out because of the first half in Lyon. This is a competition that takes no prisoners. One defeat and we are out."

  • Van der Vaart hopes Kane remains with Mourinho at Spurs Van der Vaart hopes Kane remains with Mourinho at Spurs

    Rafael van der Vaart hopes Harry Kane remains at Tottenham, allowing the England international to continue working with a "great coach" in Jose Mourinho.

    The striker returned from a hamstring injury suffered at the start of 2020 to help Spurs finish in sixth place in the Premier League, securing the north London club a spot in next season's Europa League as a result.

    Kane, 27, scored five goals in his final three outings to finish the campaign with 24 in all competitions, though he had sparked speculation over his future earlier in the year when admitting he would not stay at his boyhood club "for the sake of it".

    However, Van der Vaart - who spent two years with Spurs - believes Kane does not have to leave in his pursuit to win trophies.

    "I really hope that he's going to stay," Van der Vaart - an ambassador for the UEFA Europa League Trophy Tour - told Stats Perform News.

    "I hope he's going to stay. Spurs have a great coach.

    "It's a club that want to be a championship winner, and the Champions League. They can also pay the money.

    "For me, the best thing is for Harry to stay."

    While Van der Vaart wants Kane to continue in familiar surroundings, he is delighted to see a famous former Netherlands team-mate return to his roots.

    Former Bayern Munich star Arjen Robben announced in July his decision to come out of retirement and sign a deal with Groningen – the club where the winger started his illustrious career.

    "It's great. I really love it, because I think it's important for the Dutch league," Van der Vaart said of Robben's return.

    "Robben is a great guy. He is so professional. He is still so fit. I always thought, 'Why did he stop?', because football is the best thing you can do.

    "He stopped at Bayern Munich, but now it's so important that he's starting again and to go back home, to his former club.

    "It's going to be different. He's always played for teams when, 80 per cent of the time, they were better than the opponent, but now you go to Groningen and maybe it's 50-50. That is a different way of playing."

    Van der Vaart was speaking as part of this year's Europa League Trophy Tour, which has been collecting football boots from fans for Syrian refugees based in Jordan.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.