It's an absolute joke! - Rapinoe accuses football of failing players over racism

By Sports Desk November 08, 2019

Women's World Cup winner Megan Rapinoe has called on clubs, officials and fan groups to do more to eradicate racism from football.

Rapinoe highlighted the €75,000 (£65,000) fine given to Bulgaria by UEFA last month following evidence of racist abuse during the Euro 2020 qualifier with England as an example of where the sport is continuing to fall short.

Bulgaria were also ordered to play two games behind closed doors - the second of which is suspended for two years - in a decision Rapinoe branded "an absolute joke".

"We're not going to accept this. This is not something that's going to be in our game," she told BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat.

"So I feel like all of the clubs and the presidents and fan groups and everyone, you know, frankly are failing these players.

"If you're ever caught doing anything racist you should be banned for life. That's just the end of it. I mean £65,000 is an absolute joke.

"For me I'm just like, make it super extreme so it's damaging to the team, to the federation, so it's damaging financially."

Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling played in England's recent qualifier in Sofia and has been praised for speaking out about racism.

Rapinoe has urged others to follow his example.

"I need all the players on Raheem's team, all the players in the Premier League and in the leagues abroad to make it their problem because it really is everybody's issue," she said.

Rapinoe won the Golden Ball and Golden Boot as the United States defended their World Cup crown earlier this year, before collecting the Best FIFA Women's Player award in September.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay Rumour Has It: Juve and Inter to battle for Zaniolo, City may extend Aguero stay

    Juventus and Inter are reportedly ready to do battle for Roma star Nicolo Zaniolo.

    Zaniolo, 21, made his return from a serious knee injury this month and has repeatedly been linked with a move away from Roma.

    A pair of Serie A giants may be ready to fight for the midfielder's services.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER, JUVE TO BATTLE FOR ZANIOLO

    Inter are ready to challenge Juventus to sign Roma star Zaniolo, according to CalcioMercato.

    Zaniolo is considered one of Europe's best young talents, and left Inter for Roma in 2018.

    Roma reportedly want at least €50million for the five-time Italy international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Contracted at Manchester City until 2021, Sergio Aguero may yet stay at the Etihad Stadium a little longer. The Mirror reports City have not ruled out giving the star forward, 32, a one-year extension.

    - With Neymar repeatedly linked with a return to Barcelona, it seems the LaLiga giants are wanting to distance themselves from the Paris Saint-Germain star. Marca says Barca are keen to see the rumours of a potential return for Neymar stop.

    - Staying at Camp Nou and Barcelona apparently have interest in two players from Tottenham. The Daily Star says Barca want Ryan Sessegnon and Tanguy Ndombele. However, it reports Spurs will reject all offers for Sessegnon this close season.

    - Philippe Coutinho's future remains unclear. Mundo Deportivo reports the playmaker, who is on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona until the end of the season, will not decide his future until after the Champions League next month.

    - Plenty of talk continues to surround Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who is coming out of contract at the Premier League club next year. The Daily Star reports the forward will sign a contract extension with Arsenal – if no other club makes an official approach.

    - After just two goals in 25 games for Real Madrid, Luka Jovic seems set for an exit. According to Mundo Deportivo, Juventus, Inter, Chelsea, Leicester City, Milan and Napoli are all considering moves for the forward.

  • It’s what he does - Phil Simmons has high praise for Holder’s tenacity It’s what he does - Phil Simmons has high praise for Holder’s tenacity

    West Indies head coach Phil Simmons believes his captain, Jason Holder’s, 1-43, during England’s second innings was as important as any bowling feats throughout the fourth day.

    The West Indies will need just two wickets tomorrow and attempt to minimize the 170-run lead the hosts have after they were restricted to 284-8.

    The West Indies, leading England by 99 runs at the Ageas Bowl at the beginning of Saturday, were pushed back, as openers Rory Burns, 42, and Dom Sibley, 50, whittled down that lead.

    After lunch, things got worse for the West Indies, who had to remain patient as Zak Crawley, 76, and stand-in skipper Ben Stokes, 46, threatened to take the game away from them, pushing England’s lead in the match to 135 before the latter was removed by a fine piece of bowling from Holder.

    Holder, for the second time, turned Stokes around after just changing the field to include two gullies and had him caught by Shai Hope.

    It’s what he does. He comes back and puts in the big spells for the team.

    Simmons was speaking at the end of day four, highlighting what was a pivotal moment in the West Indies’ second stint on the field.

    England then lost five wickets for 35 runs, as Shannon Gabriel, 3-62, and Alzarri Joseph, 2-40, reduced England to 284-8, a lead of 170.

    “That’s the way he leads this team and I didn’t expect anything different,” said Simmons.

    “He was bowling for a while and you expected him to change but he wanted to make that breakthrough for the team.”

  • Guardiola hails Sterling's development after Man City star's hat-trick Guardiola hails Sterling's development after Man City star's hat-trick

    Pep Guardiola lauded Raheem Sterling's development after the attacker's hat-trick in Manchester City's 5-0 win over Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Sterling's treble saw him move onto 27 goals this season, the most he has scored in a single campaign.

    Guardiola paid tribute to the England international, with Gabriel Jesus and Bernardo Silva also on the scoresheet in the convincing win on Saturday.

    "All credit to [Sterling]. Not just for the three goals, it's important for what we have ahead of us," the Manchester City manager told a news conference.

    "His development as a player is because he wants to improve and we are so delighted with his performance.

    "Raheem himself knows exactly what he has to do. He's a huge competitor and is self-confident, aggressive, he loves to score goals.

    "We have wingers with the mentality to score goals which is so important."

    City's win saw them mathematically secure a top-four finish in the Premier League with three games remaining.

    However, they will have to wait until Monday to learn whether their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against a two-year European ban has been successful.

    Guardiola said he was "very" confident City would be successful, while adding they had proven they deserved their place in the Champions League.

    "It's the [CAS] decision, so it's so important. Of course it is. We have done what we have done, won our qualification on the pitch. No one can doubt this," he said.

    "It's been an outstanding season from Liverpool, and congratulations to them again for winning the Premier League.

    "In general, the level that we played at today has been quite similar for the whole season and now we're going to wait for Monday for the decision that will be taken."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.