La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

La Liga side Leganes has parted company with Mauricio Pellegrino following a 2-0 loss to Getafe, which continued a winless start to the season.

Los Pepineros have collected just two points from their opening nine games and are currently seven points adrift of 17th-placed Celta Vigo in the league.

The former Southampton, Alaves and Valencia manager was appointed at the start of last season and guided Leganes to survival and a respectable 13th in La Liga.

But results took a turn for the worse at the beginning of this campaign and the club issued a statement on Monday on the Argentine’s future.

"Leganes and Mauricio Pellegrino have decided mutually to go their separate ways," the statement read.

 "The Argentine coach, who last year led the team to secure its status in the top flight, will not be in charge of the team for next week's game against Mallorca.

"Reserve team coach Luis Cembranos and his assistant Carlos Martinez will take charge of the team for the next few training sessions."

Related items

  • Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe

    Neymar is ready to return to action for Paris Saint-Germain against Lille on Saturday, but the Ligue 1 champions could be without Kylian Mbappe.

    The Brazil superstar has not featured for his club since sustaining a hamstring injury during the October international break, continuing a tale of fitness woe that has stained his time at the Parc des Princes.

    Speaking at a pre-match news conference, head coach Thomas Tuchel confirmed Neymar would be available for a mouth-watering week of fixtures, with trips to Real Madrid and Monaco coming after Lille's visit to the French capital.

    "Neymar feels good," Tuchel said. "He has trained well and will be in the group for tomorrow's match, but he will not be able to play 90 minutes.

    "He will bring us quality and decisive things. When he is with us, we are super dangerous. That is necessary if we want to continue to win

    "Lille, Real Madrid and Monaco represent three challenging games for us."

    Mbappe has often stepped up in Neymar's absence, but the France forward has been laid low by illness having already suffered hamstring, thigh and groin setbacks this term.

    "He had a fever, he has to start training today, we have to wait," said Tuchel, who will be without midfield duo Marco Verratti (knee) and Ander Herrera (thigh).

    Neymar's rehabilitation took in a trip to watch the Davis Cup in Madrid this week, something which neither delighted nor angered his boss.

    "What can I do? I'm not his father, nor the police. I am just his coach," Tuchel added.

    "He trained well. Did I enjoy his trip to Madrid? No. But he was very professional during those two weeks.

    "He did more than others, working with the group and also individually. If all goes well, he can play [against Lille]. Tomorrow we will decide".

  • Diego Costa set for up to three months out after neck operation Diego Costa set for up to three months out after neck operation

    Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa is set for a spell on the sidelines after undergoing neck surgery.

    In a statement issued on their official website, Atleti confirmed Costa had an operation on his herniated cervical disc on Thursday.

    The procedure was successful but normally requires a recovery time of two to three months.

    Speaking earlier this week, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo insisted there were no plans to sign a January replacement for Costa in the event of surgery.

    "No, because we already tried to sign [a striker] at the beginning of the season and you know that you have to sell someone to be able to buy someone," he told AS, citing his club's salary limit.

    "So, I don't know. In principle, no. We have a fantastic team and fantastic strikers who score many goals."

    Record signing Joao Felix is in line to boost Diego Simeone's attack by returning from a sprained ankle when Atletico visit Granada in LaLiga on Saturday.

    Like Costa, the Portugal forward has only two top-flight goals to his name this term. Alvaro Morata leads the way with five for a team that have 15 goals in 13 LaLiga outings so far

    Atleti are third in the table, a point behind Barcelona and Real Madrid having played a game more.

  • Disrespectful, wrong, ungrateful – Bale's Wales banner incurs media wrath in Spain Disrespectful, wrong, ungrateful – Bale's Wales banner incurs media wrath in Spain

    Gareth Bale's popularity in Spain appears to have sunk to an all-time low as he heads back to Real Madrid following international duty.

    Not sighted in LaLiga for well over a month, the winger made his second Wales start in four days as Ryan Giggs' men secured Euro 2020 qualification with a 2-0 win over Hungary on Tuesday.

    Bale's timely return to fitness prompted suspicion, and his actions after the game have attracted more scorn in certain sections of the Spanish media, who have routinely criticised him for spending too much time on the golf course.

    In Cardiff, he was pictured celebrating with Wales team-mates behind a banner that read: "WALES. GOLF. MADRID... IN THAT ORDER".

    Madrid newspaper Marca, said to have close links to the powerful club that employs Bale, did not take kindly to what has been perceived as a mocking gesture.

    The front page of its Thursday edition featured Bale and the headline: "DISRESPECTFUL. WRONG. UNGRATEFUL. IN THAT ORDER".

    AS, also headquartered in the Spanish capital, depicted the four-time Champions League winner sinking a close-range putt alongside the headline: "BALE IS IN A HOLE".

    Meanwhile, online newspaper El Espanol captured the order of priorities supporters expect – "MADRID. MADRID. MADRID. IN THAT ORDER" – while columnist Tomas Roncero summed up what appears to lay ahead.

    His comment piece in AS included a simple, ominous quote for Bale's future: "Out, out, out."

    The media message crossed borders ahead of Madrid's meeting with Real Sociedad on Sunday.

    In an interview with The Athletic, ex-Madrid president Ramon Calderon called Bale "childish" and claimed fans were "very angry" with the one-time €100million signing.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.