Footballers at much higher risk of dementia, study reveals

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Professional footballers are more than three times likely to die of dementia than those of the general public, new research commissioned by the Football Association [FA] and Professional Footballers' Association [PFA] has showed.

Health records of more than 7,000 footballers in Scotland were compared to those of over 23,000 men who did not play professional football.

Experts from Glasgow University led the study, which the FA said was "one of the most comprehensive studies ever commissioned globally into the long-term health of former professional footballers".

The issue of dementia in football gained prominence after it was claimed in 2014 that former England striker Jeff Astle died due to a brain condition caused by heading footballs. Astle died at the age of 59 in 2002.

In the lengthy findings, an FA statement on the FIELD study revealed that "former professional footballers in this study lived three-and-a-quarter-years longer [than those of the general public] and were less likely to die of many diseases such as heart disease or lung cancer".

"However, they were more likely to die of dementia," the statement continued.

"The research found that the health records of 11 per cent of the former footballers who had passed away stated that they had died from dementia, compared to around three per cent for the socio-demographically matched sample.

"The study showed through statistical analysis on the full data set that the professional footballers in this research were around 3.5 times more likely to die of dementia than the matched population.

"However, overall, this group of former professional footballers did not on average die earlier of dementia than dementia sufferers in the general population. 

"As you would expect, there are many questions relating to this data that do not, at present, have answers.

"For example, The FIELD study was not able to determine what exactly causes the increased rates of dementia.

"The study does not determine whether the cause is due to concussions suffered by the group of professional footballers, or concussion management, or heading of the football, or style of play, or the design and composition of footballs over the years, or personal lifestyle, or some other factor."

The FA added that the findings had already been reviewed, with a host of recommendations offered.

"In order to consider next steps, we constituted an independently chaired Medical & Football Advisory Group which has reviewed the findings," the statement added.

"It recommended that we re-issue both the current FA Concussion Guidelines and best-practice advice for coaching heading, while also asking football to consider further steps to improve head injury management, for example by supporting UEFA’s proposals to introduce concussion substitutes.

"The Medical & Football Advisory Group also concluded that more research is needed into why players had been affected, but that there is not enough evidence at this stage to make other changes to the way the modern-day game is played.

"In addition, the Medical & Football Advisory Group has recommended that the best way we can support the next phase is by convening a specialist Research Taskforce to assimilate the research currently available and set the direction for new research to be commissioned both domestically and globally."

The FA also said they have "written to both FIFA and UEFA to offer our full support on future research in this area" in the bid for answers.

Commenting on the findings, FA chairman Greg Clarke said the study was just the start of the process.

"The whole game must recognise that this is only the start of our understanding and there are many questions that still need to be answered," Clarke said.

"It is important that the global football family now unites to find the answers and provide a greater understanding of this complex issue. The FA is committed to doing all it can to make that happen."

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor added: "These findings are a matter of considerable importance to our members … it is now incumbent on football globally to come together to address this issue in a comprehensive and united manner."

Related items

  • 'It was never about the money…I felt cheated' – Stephen Hart 'It was never about the money…I felt cheated' – Stephen Hart

    Former Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart said he was happy with Tuesday’s High Court TT$5million ruling because he felt cheated by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, who fired him from his head coaching job after three and half years in charge and at a critical stage of the 2018 World Cup campaign.

    The TTFA fired Hart in November 2016 during the Hexagonal Round of the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign after the national team suffered consecutive losses to Costa Rica and Honduras.

    Many, including Hart, saw the dismissal as unjust given that the head coach had led the team to knockout stages of the 2013 campaign and 2015 Gold Cup competitions. TT topped their Gold Cup group in 2015.

     During his 43-match tenure in charge of TT Hart had a record of 16 wins, 12 draws and 15 losses.

     He sued the TTFA citing wrongful dismissal a claim that the association did not contest. On Tuesday, Justice Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell, in a default judgement ordered the TTFA to pay the Canada-based coach $5million (approximately USD$739,000).

     “Obviously, I am pleased with the court ruling. It was, in my view, so unnecessary, mainly because I thought that at least I should have been given the opportunity to finish what we started. My staff and myself had worked very hard to bring the team to a certain point; we were already in the Hex, and of course, we were not allowed to do so,” Hart told Sportsmax.TV on Friday from his home in Canada, where he now serves as General Manager of HFX Wanderers in the Canadian Premier League.

     “Winning a judgment is one thing and collecting is something else completely, but really and truly it was not about the money, it was about doing a job for Trinidad and Tobago football, trying to bring some joy back to the game and the people who love the game and I just felt a little bit cheated out of that.”

  • Paolo Maldini's son Daniel included in AC Milan squad to face Napoli Paolo Maldini's son Daniel included in AC Milan squad to face Napoli

    AC Milan have included Daniel Maldini, son of club great Paolo, in their squad for a Serie A game for the first time.

    The 18-year-old forward could make his senior debut for the Rossoneri at home to Napoli on Saturday with Milan having struggled for form despite replacing Marco Giampaolo with Stefano Pioli.

    Milan have lost three of their past four league games to slip to 14th in the Serie A table with teenager Maldini having the chance to follow in the footsteps of the club's famous family.

    His grandfather Cesare won four league titles with Milan and also coached the team to European Cup Winners' Cup glory, while Paolo is considered one of the greatest defenders in Italian football history.

    Paolo is now a director at the club and he could see Daniel become the latest Maldini star for Milan, who have been linked with a move for former striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

    Daniel Maldini signed a new five-year contract with Milan earlier this month, the forward having featured during the International Champions Cup in pre-season.

  • Guardiola dismisses speculation of Bayern Munich return Guardiola dismisses speculation of Bayern Munich return

    Pep Guardiola has no immediate plans to swap Manchester City for a return to his former club Bayern Munich.

    Bayern are on the search for a new coach after sacking Niko Kovac earlier in November.

    Hans-Dieter Flick is currently interim coach, while Mauricio Pochettino - who was sacked by Tottenham on Tuesday - has been linked with a switch to the Allianz Arena.

    The Bundesliga champions are also rumoured to be interested in moving for City boss Guardiola, who spent three seasons at Bayern between 2013 and 2016 before taking over at City.

    However, Guardiola has insisted Bayern are aware he is a person who respects his contracts, adding he wishes to stay at City as long as the club want him to remain. 

    "When these things appear, is it the media or the club? We don't know. It could be one guy [starting a rumour] and then people take it," Guardiola told Sky Sports News.

    "I like the people from Bayern a lot. I was incredibly happy there, but they know I'm a guy that respects what I sign.

    "In football, when you are not getting results you can be sacked but in this case if the club [Manchester City] wants me, I want to stay here.

    "It doesn't matter if Bayern want me or not in the future. My love for the city, the club and the people I met there is incredible.

    "It is the same in Barcelona because it is my hometown, but the same happened here. I have more things to do."

    Guardiola acknowledged he will not remain at City forever, but insists it is the memories created at clubs that form the best legacies.

    "That is the real legacy that you like, more than lifting titles," Guardiola said. "You remember the places for the people you live with, not for the museums or cathedrals.

    "I will not be here [at Manchester City] forever. It's important when you leave that you can come back and be happy with the people."

    Under Guardiola, City have won successive Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and an FA Cup, as well as two Community Shields.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.