Ibrahimovic open to Serie A return but labels AC Milan a 'disaster'

By Sports Desk October 19, 2019

Zlatan Ibrahimovic claimed he would still score 20 goals a season in Serie A as he talked up his chances of a return to Italy's top flight.

But Ibrahimovic labelled former club AC Milan "a disaster" in a wide-ranging interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, while also poking fun at Inter forward Romelu Lukaku's first touch.

Former Sweden striker Ibrahimovic was discussing his options for a next move as his LA Galaxy contract expires in December following the MLS playoffs.

The 38-year-old has been linked with a return to Manchester United, but he suggested Serie A, where he represented Juventus and both Milan clubs, might be his preferred destination.

"I am 38 years old and have the enthusiasm of a kid, with that same desire to win. That, for me, is everything," Ibrahimovic said.

"Italy is my second home. I will listen to all offers, but I want to fight for the maximum target. If I were to come back, I'd want to challenge for the Scudetto, not just be signed by someone because I am Ibrahimovic.

"I can still make the difference. I'm not a zoo animal to be put on display for people to see. I can still get 20 goals in Serie A."

Milan, who are 13th in Serie A with nine points from seven matches, would not appear to be an option, though, and Ibrahimovic picked out Paolo Maldini for criticism.

"Milan are a disaster. They're all talk and no action," he said.

"This is not the club everyone fell in love with, in Italy and all over the world. Perhaps there are too many wrong people who should be elsewhere.

"Paolo Maldini doesn't have what it takes to be a director, whereas in his playing career he was one of my all-time favourites."

Meanwhile, the striker revealed a mooted bet with former team-mate Lukaku, whose touch was maligned by some supporters during his time at United.

Ibrahimovic explained: "At Manchester United, we made a bet, 'I'll give you £50 for every decent first touch you make'. He replied: 'What do I win if I get them all right?'

"I told him nothing, he would simply become a better player. For the record, he never accepted the bet! Perhaps he was afraid of losing."

Related items

  • Juve v Inter in doubt with Italian PM considering postponing Week 26 Serie A fixtures due to coronavirus Juve v Inter in doubt with Italian PM considering postponing Week 26 Serie A fixtures due to coronavirus

    Italy prime minister Giuseppe Conte revealed all of Serie A's Week 26 fixtures, including the blockbuster showdown between Juventus and Inter, could be postponed due to coronavirus fears.

    The outbreak of coronavirus in Italy forced four top-flight matches to be postponed over the weekend, including Sunday's clash between Scudetto hopefuls Inter and Sampdoria.

    Italy's move came as part of preventative measures against the spread of the coronavirus, officially named COVID-19 which originated in China, after two people died and dozens more reportedly tested positive.

    Now, upcoming fixtures across Italy's leagues are in doubt, with Serie A leaders Juve scheduled to host Inter in Turin on March 1.

    "I don't think that in just one week we'd be able to slow down the contagion so much that we could resume sporting events," Conte told Rai.

    "We are constantly monitoring the situation and will evaluate. We'll see the evolution of the contagion and evaluate postponing all next week's matches."

    Juve are a point clear atop the table following Saturday's 2-1 victory away at bottom side SPAL.

    Cristiano Ronaldo marked his 1,000th career appearance with a goal, scoring in an 11th consecutive top-flight match – matching a feat previously achieved by Gabriel Batistuta and Fabio Quagliarella.

    In-form Lazio were also in action on Saturday and edged Genoa 3-2 to extend their unbeaten streak to 20 games, while Inter are six points off the pace with a game in hand.

  • U-20 Reggae Girlz battle back in thrilling contest against Guatemala U-20 Reggae Girlz battle back in thrilling contest against Guatemala

    There was no shortage of drama in Group E on Saturday at the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Under-20 Championship, with Jamaica rallying from three goals down to tie Guatemala 4-4 at the Estadio Panamericano in San Cristobal.

    Guatemala looked to be in control and held a 3-0 lead thanks to goals from Sandra Ovando (12’), Andrea Alvarez (26’) and Maria Recinos (34’).

    But the Reggae Girls would mount a ferocious comeback and would take a 4-3 lead on a goal from Jody Brown (50’) and a hat trick scored by Marlee Fray (53’, 68’, 76’).

    Guatemala would have an answer though, as Alvarez scored her second of the day (78’), leading to a share of the spoils between the two sides.

    The group’s other game saw Canada muscle past a tough El Salvador squad, 2-0.

    The two teams were locked in a stalemate until Tanya Boychuk (56’) found the breakthrough. Canada then polished off the three points and the 2-0 scoreline with a goal from Kaila Novak (71’).

    Action in Group E resumes on Monday with El Salvador tangling with Jamaica, while Canada will face Guatemala.

  • Paris Saint-Germain 4-3 Bordeaux: Neymar sees red as Cavani hits milestone goal Paris Saint-Germain 4-3 Bordeaux: Neymar sees red as Cavani hits milestone goal

    Neymar saw red as Paris Saint-Germain moved 13 points clear at top of Ligue 1 after Edinson Cavani's 200th goal for the club helped them to a 4-3 win over Bordeaux on Sunday.

    Hwang Ui-jo gave Bordeaux a surprise lead before Cavani equalised for PSG with his landmark strike at the Parc des Princes.

    The hosts went ahead when Marquinhos chested the ball home but Bordeaux levelled through Pablo following a mistake by PSG goalkeeper Sergio Rico.

    Marquinhos and Kylian Mbappe both finished clinically to put Thomas Tuchel's side in command, although Ruben Pardo reduced the deficit to set up a tense finish and Neymar was dismissed for a second booking late on.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.