Wanderers sign Muller from Eintracht Frankfurt

By Sports Desk October 16, 2019

Western Sydney Wanderers have signed two-time Germany international Nicolai Muller from Bundesliga club Eintracht Frankfurt.

Muller joins the A-League team as an injury replacement for Polish playmaker Radoslaw Majewski, who suffered a potential season-ending knee injury in September.

The 32-year-old winger Muller signs for the 2014 AFC Champions League winners having amassed over 300 club appearances in Germany, including spells at Hamburg, Mainz and Greuther Furth.

"We are very excited to have Nicolai join us this season and can't wait to see him on the park," Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas told the club's official website on Wednesday.

"Our members and fans should be very excited about this signing. Nicolai has been a top pro in Germany for many years playing Bundesliga 1 and 2 as well as playing in the Europa League.

"We would like to welcome Nicolai into our Wanderers family and look forward to him helping us reach our goals this season."

Muller could make his debut for the Wanderers this Friday as they travel to Victoria to play Melbourne Victory.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut

    Borussia Dortmund will remind their players of their responsibilities after Jadon Sancho and some of his team-mates broke the German Football League's (DFL) coronavirus protocol to get a haircut.

    In photographs published by BILD, Sancho, Axel Witsel, Thorgan Hazard, Raphael Guerreiro, Dan-Axel Zagadou and Manuel Akanji were seen getting a trim from barber Winnie Nana Karkari at their homes without wearing masks.

    According to DFL regulations, players should have no contact with the public, stay at home and receive no visitors.

    In a statement released to BILD, Dortmund said: "It is pretty usual that our guys must get their hair cut after all these months. But it is surely a no-go, from both sides, not to wear a mask.

    "We will remind our players about that very, very clearly. Also, the barber should ask himself about his behaviour too."

    Karkari claimed he followed strict hygiene procedures and was wearing his mask at all times other than when pictured.

    He said: "I only took off the mask for the photo, otherwise I followed all hygiene measures very precisely.

    "I disinfected every machine before every customer, always cut with gloves even independently of coronavirus – and I am very, very fussy."

    Dortmund fell seven points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich after a 1-0 loss to Hansi Flick's side at Signal Iduna Park last week.

    They are next in action at home to Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

  • Havertz will join a 'world-class club' but Leverkusen hope for one more year Havertz will join a 'world-class club' but Leverkusen hope for one more year

    Kai Havertz will join a "world-class club" in the future but Rudi Voller hopes to keep him at Bayer Leverkusen for another year.

    Leverkusen forward Havertz has been heavily linked with Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid but head coach Peter Bosz said in March he will cost at least €100million.

    The 20-year-old scored 17 Bundesliga goals in 2018-19 and this season has notched 11 times and supplied five assists in 26 appearances.

    Leverkusen's managing director of sport Voller acknowledges it is only a matter of time until Havertz departs the BayArena for bigger things.

    However, he hopes to be able to convince the in-demand Germany international to hang around for at least another season.

    "He feels comfortable, he still has a contract until 2022, but we know that Kai will eventually move to a world-class club," Voller told Sky Sports.

    "But he is still here, and I still have the hope of being able to keep him for a year and to be able to do it."

    Leverkusen sit fifth in the Bundesliga with five games remaining and are only outside the Champions League places on goal difference, while they have a 3-1 lead over Rangers after one leg in their Europa League last-16 tie.

    Bosz's side face Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich on Saturday, before a DFB-Pokal semi-final against fourth-tier Saarbrucken, whose league campaign has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia

    Diego Maradona has set aside speculation surrounding his future and signed a new one-year contract at Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata.

    The Argentina great was appointed as Gimnasia's head coach in September, although he briefly departed in November and returned two days later.

    Maradona was out of contract at the end of the season and the prospect of his return to the Primera Division club appeared remote, as the two parties reportedly failed to come to an agreement on a deal at the start of the week.

    However, Gimnasia, celebrating their 133rd birthday on Wednesday, confirmed news of his renewal until 2021.

    The club posted on Twitter: "You are known as Pelusa, Barrilete Cosmico, God, Diego, Diegote, capitan...

    "But for us, you are one more Tripero and your heart is already as blue and white as ours."

    Maradona had earlier hinted at an agreement as he congratulated Gimnasia on their anniversary on his Instagram page.

    "Today is El Lobo's birthday," he wrote. "Congratulations to @Gimnasia_Oficial and a hug to your WONDERFUL fans!!!

    "My heart is blue and white. Let's go for more!!!"

    The Primera Division season was ended prematurely in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with relegation suspended for two years.

    Gimnasia were 19th in the 24-team division when the campaign was brought to a close.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.