Muller transfer unimaginable for Bayern Munich chief Rummenigge

By Sports Desk October 13, 2019

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expects Thomas Muller to stay at Bayern Munich beyond January despite his frustration with a lack of playing time.

Attacking midfielder Muller, 30, expressed dissatisfaction with his marginalised role in an interview earlier this month, telling Kicker he was "too ambitious" to settle for a place among the substitutes.

The 2014 World Cup winner started none of the club's final five games leading into the international break.

Reports have suggested Muller will ask for a move when the window reopens but Bayern CEO Rummenigge would be surprised to receive a transfer request.

"I cannot imagine that," Rummenigge told German newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

"The relationship between Thomas and Bayern is totally intact and he will remain an important part of our club."

Muller has spent his entire professional career at Allianz Arena, winning eight Bundesliga titles.

He made 28 league starts under Niko Kovac last season but the arrival of Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona has increased the competition for places in Muller's favoured position behind the striker.

Rummenigge accepted the 100-cap Germany international's decision to speak out about his concerns.

He said: "If Thomas would sit contentedly on the bench, he would be at the wrong club.

"That's the reaction we want, but he still has to deal with the situation seriously. He does that perfectly."

Related items

  • Spurs appoint Mourinho: Jose raids Lille for two coaches Spurs appoint Mourinho: Jose raids Lille for two coaches

    Tottenham have agreed a deal with Lille to bring in coaches Joao Sacramento and Nuno Santos to work with Jose Mourinho.

    Former Chelsea and Manchester United boss Mourinho was appointed Spurs' new head coach on Wednesday following Mauricio Pochettino's departure the previous day.

    Spurs moved quickly to begin securing the desired backroom setup for their new coach, as Lille confirmed the departure of Sacramento and Santos.

    Tottenham have reportedly paid £3million for the duo, with Sacramento expected to become Mourinho's assistant. Santos joins as goalkeeping coach.

    "To Joao Sacramento and Nuno Santos, LOSC wish all the success in this new project," a Lille statement read.

    ESPN report Spurs may yet return to Lille for sporting director Luis Campos, who previously worked with Mourinho at Real Madrid.

    Pochettino's time at Tottenham saw numerous reports of tensions between the manager and chairman Daniel Levy over transfers.

    The arrival of Campos as sporting director would seemingly act as a buffer, and Mourinho is said to have funds to make signings in January.

  • Lewandowski warns Bundesliga rivals: My best is yet to come! Lewandowski warns Bundesliga rivals: My best is yet to come!

    Robert Lewandowski is enjoying an outstanding start to the season with Bayern Munich but insists there is room for him to get even better.

    The Poland international has 23 goals in 18 club matches so far this term, more than any other player in Europe's top leagues.

    However, Lewandowski believes he is only now approaching his peak and can improve further, insisting he does not feel his 31 years.

    "I worked very hard for this form. Currently it is going perfectly, my body feels good," he told Sport Bild.

    "It's good to have that in mind, but it does not mean that I'm resting. I want to get even better.

    "I know when I can do more and when I need to slow down. My passport says: 'Robert Lewandowski, 31 years old'. But that's not how I feel.

    "My best spell is just starting now and hopefully will continue for some more years. The best is yet to come."

    Lewandowski is set to return to club action following the international break on Saturday, as Bayern visit Fortuna Dusseldorf.

  • Dortmund's Delaney out until 2020 with torn ankle ligaments Dortmund's Delaney out until 2020 with torn ankle ligaments

    Thomas Delaney has suffered torn ligaments in his right ankle and will be out of action until January.

    Borussia Dortmund confirmed the nature of the 28-year-old's injury on Wednesday after he returned from international duty.

    Midfielder Delaney was substituted 13 minutes into Denmark's crucial Euro 2020 qualifier against Republic of Ireland on Monday, unable to assist his country as they secured a 1-1 draw to qualify for the finals.

    Delaney has played six times in the Bundesliga this season, having appeared 30 times last term following his move from Werder Bremen.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.