Neymar can win the Ballon d'Or – Herrera

By Sports Desk September 22, 2019

Ander Herrera backed Neymar to win the Ballon d'Or one day after the forward's impressive start to the season for Paris Saint-Germain continued.

Neymar scored his second late winner in as many games this campaign, leading PSG to a 1-0 victory over Lyon in Ligue 1 on Sunday.

The forward was heavily linked with a return to Barcelona during the transfer window, but ended up staying in Paris and has starred on his return.

Herrera, who arrived at PSG in July, believes the Brazil international is a future Ballon d'Or winner.

"I'm delighted to play with Neymar. I will not talk about his transfer window," the midfielder said, via L'Equipe.

"Now, Neymar is with us. He is a fantastic player who can be Ballon d'Or, this season, in a year, in two years.

"We are very happy. I hope he can play like that all season."

PSG's win saw them move seven points clear of ninth-placed Lyon, although their lead at the top is just three points to Angers and Nice.

But Herrera laughed off any suggestions the title was already won for Thomas Tuchel's men.

"No, there are only six matches. I just saw the table. There is Rennes, Angers, Marseille," he said.

"We respect a lot of teams and all opponents. We will always play with respect."

Related items

  • Thiago Silva, Herrera to miss second leg of Borussia Dortmund tie Thiago Silva, Herrera to miss second leg of Borussia Dortmund tie

    Paris Saint-Germain are set to be without Thiago Silva and Ander Herrera for the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie with Borussia Dortmund.

    Centre-back Thiago Silva hurt his hamstring during the 4-3 Ligue 1 defeat of Bordeaux last Sunday and is expected to be sidelined for three weeks.

    Herrera, who scored on his last outing in the 4-4 draw at Amiens on February 15, has a thigh muscle injury and is likely to be missing for between six and eight weeks.

    It means both players will be unavailable for the visit of Dortmund to Parc des Princes on March 11, as PSG attempt to overturn a 2-1 deficit from the first leg.

    They will sit out Saturday's Ligue 1 match at home to Dijon and the league trip to Strasbourg on March 7, as well as the Coupe de France semi-final away to Lyon on March 4.

    Thiago Silva will hope to return for the meeting with Nice on March 15, while midfielder Herrera is unlikely to play again until April.

    Thiago Silva, 35, has made 30 appearances in all competitions for Thomas Tuchel's side this season.

    Herrera, who joined on a free transfer last year after his Manchester United contract expired, has played 18 times for the French champions.

  • Juventus have thought about Guardiola, says Agnelli Juventus have thought about Guardiola, says Agnelli

    Juventus president Andrea Agnelli says the Italian champions have given thought to one day hiring Pep Guardiola, but feels it would be difficult for them to land the Manchester City boss.

    Agnelli explained Juventus have contemplated the prospect of the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich head coach moving to Italy, while stressing a move now would be difficult due to his apparent happiness in the Premier League.

    Juve in turn are thrilled with their progress under Maurizio Sarri, who joined them from Chelsea at the start of the season.

    "It is heresy to say that you don't think of Guardiola, but you have to evaluate the moment you are in, like any professional," Agnelli said to Radio24 about the City boss, who has re-emphasised his commitment to the English club despite their two-year Champions League ban, which they intend to appeal.

    "If someone is happy where he is, it is difficult to move.

    "We are very happy with Sarri. Things are set up for three years, the strength of his ideas will come with their continuation in time, and this is the priority.

    "The first half of the season has been excellent, we are first in the standings and we passed the Champions League group stage in first.

    "I will evaluate the season at the end, thinking that I can win in February is foolish, but being first today is a good starting point."

    Agnelli was asked if he was tempted to instead land former coach Antonio Conte, who ultimately joined Inter, when he was replacing Massimiliano Allegri.

    "We wanted Maurizio Sarri and we took Sarri," said Agnelli. "Conte is a symbol of Juventus; he has won multiple Scudetti and the Champions League.

    "Conte is Juventus from this point of view. We have a peaceful relationship with him, but we are professional.

    "That he took on the challenge of bringing ambitious Inter back to the winners' circle, rubbing heads with [Inter chairman] Steven Zhang, who is a person I know and respect, is something that fascinates me."

  • 'Public health the priority' for Juve amid doubts over scheduled Inter clash 'Public health the priority' for Juve amid doubts over scheduled Inter clash

    Juventus president Andrea Agnelli made clear public health comes first amid the possibility of further fixtures being postponed in Serie A – even if that means his club taking on Inter behind closed doors.

    Following the recent outbreak of the coronavirus in Italy, the decision was taken to call off four of the top-flight games scheduled to take place on Sunday, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria.

    Italy prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said all of Serie A's week 26 fixtures could yet be postponed, with the country taking preventative measures following the death of two people, as well as dozens more reportedly testing positive for the virus.

    Table-topping Juve – who played on Saturday, triumphing 2-1 at SPAL – are due to host third-place Inter on Sunday, though a media report has suggested the game could go ahead but without fans present at the Allianz Stadium.

    Agnelli admitted during an appearance on Radio 24 that such a situation would not be ideal, but understands the bigger picture considering the situation.

    "At this moment, the priority for the country is the protection of public health," he said.

    "Starting from this, there is a dialogue with those who have to decide, but we will accept the decisions that are taken.

    "The interruption of the sports system is difficult; the schedule is clogged. Starting the championship late – and not playing in the Christmas break – means that if you miss a game it becomes difficult to recover."

    On the prospect of playing Inter without supporters present, or possibly even at an alternative venue, he added: "Organising a match like Juve-Inter in a different stadium is extremely complicated.

    "I'm sorry about the show itself because the championship is affected because of a historic game of football. But we must preserve the priority: public health."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.