Trippier: Tottenham sold me to Atletico at the wrong time

By Sports Desk September 03, 2019

England defender Kieran Trippier believes Tottenham will regret allowing him to move on to Atletico Madrid.

The World Cup star had a rocky season for Spurs last term, despite the team reaching the Champions League final.

Boss Mauricio Pochettino did not stand in the way of Trippier heading to Atletico, yet he could have used a specialist right-back on Sunday in the north London derby.

Tottenham had to field Davinson Sanchez in that role against Arsenal, with the centre-back out of his comfort zone in the 2-2 draw, while Trippier was helping Atletico to a 3-2 win over Eibar in LaLiga.

"I just feel that Tottenham probably got rid of me at the wrong time," Trippier said. "I just needed that four-week rest for recovery because I was struggling with injuries to come back, fresh, ready.

"It's disappointing. I gave everything for the club and I wanted to stay. I had another couple of years left. But everything happens for a reason.

"I heard rumours about them selling me and it's not nice. At the time, we were going through the Champions League campaign - Manchester City, Ajax away."

Trippier, quoted in several English newspapers, said he spoke with his wife and brother and decided to wait until the close season before approaching Pochettino about his future.

"I tried to speak to the chairman about it and when I spoke to the manager about his plans and I didn't get a yes and I didn't get a no. So you get the impression," he added.

"Me and the manager didn't leave on bad terms, he has done a lot for me and I respect him highly."

Former Burnley player Trippier, who began his career in Manchester City's academy, admitted his form at times last season was shaky.

But working with Atletico boss Diego Simeone looks sure to iron out any tactical weaknesses, with the Argentinian renowned for his strict regimen.

Trippier, 28, said: "For a defender I don't think there's a better place in the world to be."

Related items

  • Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal

    Barcelona will always be interested in Neymar but it is financially difficult to re-sign him, the club's sporting director Eric Abidal has admitted.

    Neymar attempted to secure a move back to Camp Nou in the close season, two years after leaving for Paris Saint-Germain in a deal that made him the most expensive player in history.

    LaLiga champions Barca held talks with PSG but were unable to meet the Ligue 1 side's demands.

    Lionel Messi suggested some at the Catalan club did not want Neymar to return, though it appears he will remain a target.

    "A top player, who has a Barca philosophy and who is performing at a high level, will always be an option," Abidal told Mundo Deportivo.

    "We can make decisions on the sporting level but the whole financial issue, there are things that you can do and others you cannot. The future will tell us.

    "I will not say it would be option number one, because the season is very long, but clearly it can be an option."

    Barca reignited their interest in Neymar amid a desire to find a long-term successor to ageing striker Luis Suarez.

    The search is said to have led them to highly rated Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.

    Asked about the 22-year-old, Abidal said: "He is a complete player. I think he is performing at a great level. He is a player we know.

    "There are other players who also have a lot of quality... but I don't pay much attention to the player who plays every weekend, I look at others."

    Barca did boost their attacking options with the addition of Antoine Griezmann in July and Abidal said Suarez had been briefed on the club's intentions to pursue another competitor for his starting spot.

    "I am transparent with the players," the Frenchman said. "Luis can tell you, because last year I already told him that it was going to be like that, that we were going to look for an offensive player.

    "He accepted it because he wants the best for the team. Today, I can tell you that there is no priority. The planning will always be done, no matter the position on the field, the only change will be the decision."

  • Rumour Has It: Mourinho monitoring Tottenham situation Rumour Has It: Mourinho monitoring Tottenham situation

    Could Jose Mourinho find a new home at a third Premier League club?

    According to one report, the ex-Chelsea and Manchester United manager is keeping a close eye on Tottenham and the uncertainty that lingers over Mauricio Pochettino's future.

    The potential of a job opening in north London might even lead to him turning down a big-name former employer.

     

    TOP STORY – MOURINHO SETS SIGHTS ON SPURS

    Jose Mourinho has told friends he is "confident" of being offered a return to Real Madrid but may hold out for the Tottenham job, according to The Sun.

    Zinedine Zidane is in his second stint in charge of Madrid, while Mauricio Pochettino has spent more than five years at the Spurs helm.

    The report suggests it is the latter position that Mourinho covets more, meaning he "would not necessarily accept" another spell in the Spanish capital.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United could launch a January move for Gareth Bale, reports The Sun. According to the newspaper, Real Madrid know of United's interest in Wales winger Bale and would be happy to let him leave the Santiago Bernabeu, providing they can do a deal that involves Paul Pogba moving in the other direction.

    - Spanish outlet ElDesmarque reports news that could complicate any Bale-Pogba exchange, stating that although Madrid are indeed keen on France playmaker Pogba, so too are the player's former club Juventus, with Cristiano Ronaldo said to be supportive.

    Paris Saint-Germain are rumoured to be United's strongest rivals for Jadon Sancho and the Ligue 1 side could make a surprise play for another England international. The Mirror claims PSG are interested in poaching Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana on a free transfer. His contract is due to expire in 2020.

    - Premier League champions Manchester City will look to sign Kingsley Coman from Bayern Munich if Leroy Sane agrees on a move to the Bundesliga giants, according to Sky Sports. Coman, 23, joined Bayern from Juve in 2015, initially on loan.

    - Mainz are seeking a new head coach and the Bundesliga club are reported to be targeting former Cologne boss Achim Beierlorzer. Kicker reports Mainz want a new face in charge by early next week, and Beierlorzer is said to be in the frame. The club sit in the relegation zone after eight defeats in 11 games this term. Beierlorzer would be making a rapid return to bench duty if he lands the job, having left Cologne on November 9.

  • Man United's Pogba watches Butler & Heat in Miami Man United's Pogba watches Butler & Heat in Miami

    Manchester United star Paul Pogba watched Jimmy Butler and the Miami Heat in NBA action.

    Pogba is nearing a United comeback, having been sidelined with an ankle problem since late September.

    The Red Devils midfielder – who had an ankle cast removed earlier this month – made the most of the international break, travelling to the United States.

    France international Pogba was in attendance as the Heat beat the New Orleans Pelicans 109-94 in Miami.

    A friend of Heat star Butler, Pogba was gifted a Heat jersey during the clash at AmericanAirlines Arena.

    Pogba – who continues to be linked with an Old Trafford exit amid interest from Real Madrid and former club Juventus – has made just five Premier League appearances this season.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.