Manchester United defender Smalling set to join Roma on loan

By Sports Desk August 30, 2019

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Chris Smalling is set to join Roma on loan with Matteo Darmian likely to follow him to Italy.

After falling out of favour at international and now club level, England centre-back Smalling will seek to rebuild his career in Serie A.

Roma head coach Paulo Fonseca has been on the hunt for a new defender since selling Kostas Manolas to Napoli.

Confirmation of the impending move comes a day after Alexis Sanchez joined Inter but, unlike the Chile international, Smalling could still have a future at Old Trafford.

"It just came up in the last couple of days," Solskjaer said ahead of Saturday's match against Southampton.

"We sat down and discussed it. At the moment we have six fit centre-backs and I couldn't guarantee regular football for Chris. He's on the plane over there.

"There haven't been a lot of English players in Italy. I think he'll enjoy the experience and I'm sure he'll come back stronger and better for it."

Another little-used defender, full-back Darmian, appears poised for a return to his homeland, but Solskjaer ruled out a possible departure for Marcos Rojo.

Neither player has made an appearance in the Premier League this season.

"I can see maybe Matteo [leaving]," the United manager said.

"There has been some interest in Matteo over in Italy.

"Marcos is staying, definitely. We have a squad now less in numbers but certainly big enough and strong enough."

Related items

  • Mourinho scotches talk of Rose row Mourinho scotches talk of Rose row

    Jose Mourinho says he has no problem with Danny Rose following reports they clashed at Tottenham's training ground.

    Head coach Mourinho left the England full-back out of his team to play Watford on Saturday, preferring 20-year-old Japhet Tanganga.

    However, Mourinho stressed the decision was the result of information provided to him late on Thursday evening by Tottenham's medical staff, who reported Rose had complained of a back problem.

    "My relationship with my players is good. I love to work with my group, and that's it," Mourinho told reporters in a news conference on Tuesday. "No [disagreement] between me and Danny."

    The Daily Mail reported there was a 'heated exchange' between the two on Friday when the former Manchester United and Real Madrid boss named his side to face Watford, with Rose absent from the 18-man list.

    "I don't know what you mean by tension in the air. I don't have any problem with him," Mourinho said, when asked about those claims.

    "His performance against Liverpool was not phenomenal. And then the Thursday before Watford, Thursday late evening, I got a call from my medical staff saying that Danny was calling them with a problem in his back and he wouldn't train the next day - so Friday, the day before the game.

    "It was a bit of a surprise that on the Friday he was ready to train, so it wasn't a big problem. I receive a written report every day from my medical department, and in this case because it was too late, it was 9/10pm so it was a telephone call.

    "My medical department knows that for my preparation of the next training session it's very important for me to know which players are fit."

    Norwich are the visitors to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday, and Mourinho confirmed Rose is fit and available for that game.

    Midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is also set to feature, having not been used since the New Year's Day defeat at Southampton.

    Injuries have troubled the former Lyon player, but Mourinho expects him to play some part against the relegation-threatened Canaries.

    "When you look at when he played, he offers us something we need," Mourinho said. "Last week he worked one-on-one with a fitness coach to bring his level up before joining the group. Hopefully he can give us something tomorrow."

  • Cavani has lost confidence amid injuries and PSG exit rumours, concedes Tuchel Cavani has lost confidence amid injuries and PSG exit rumours, concedes Tuchel

    Thomas Tuchel concedes Edinson Cavani has lost confidence this season, but is adamant he wants to keep the striker at Paris Saint-Germain.

    Cavani, who is struggling with a groin problem, has handed in a transfer request at PSG, whose sporting director Leonardo has confirmed was the subject of a rejected bid from Atletico Madrid.

    Premier League clubs Chelsea and Tottenham have also been linked with Cavani, who has been restricted to just nine Ligue 1 appearances this term due to injuries and the form of Mauro Icardi.

    Tuchel understands Cavani's frustrations but insists the Uruguay forward is still a key part of his squad.

    "For now he is on the bench and lacking game time. He is lacking rhythm and confidence," Tuchel said ahead of Wednesday's Coupe de la Ligue semi-final against Reims.

    "[Confidence] is the most important thing, especially for goalscorers, but that's the way it is. In big clubs, there are players with a lot of quality but there is tough competition and it is not easy for him.

    "I am aware of it and I understand it completely and I am very happy to see that he is still professional. If someone is injured, we will have a wonderful substitute.

    "If he is able to find a rhythm again, we will be able to put him on the pitch and someone else on the bench. But he is lacking it, so it is really difficult to only help during one game.

    "We still have this in mind but this is why it would be better for him to be part of the group, but he still has problems with his groin."

    Though Tuchel is planning to keep Cavani, he is aware the situation could change before the transfer window shuts.

    "I said many times, I love the group, the players, each of them. We don't want to lose a player but sometimes it can happen," Tuchel said.

    "This is the reality. I still feel the same way, maybe nothing will happen, so I am quiet. Edinson is one of our players and I am happy with that.

    "If things have to change, we will adapt. Now, he is here and part of my dressing room. If things change we will think about it later.

    "We need to wait a few days until he is fit again. Then he will have to fight to find a spot on the team and during the season it is not easy. He has been injured too many times but it is not his fault, nor was it our fault.

    "He's had to do too many individual sessions and this is why he is lacking confidence, he is not playing enough or scoring enough but we can't think about it too much because he is injured."

  • Newcastle United sign former Spurs midfielder Bentaleb on loan Newcastle United sign former Spurs midfielder Bentaleb on loan

    Newcastle United have completed the signing of ex-Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb on loan from Bundesliga side Schalke.

    Bentaleb, 25, left Spurs in 2016 and quickly established himself as a regular in Germany.

    However, the Algeria international has not featured for Schalke since April, having been dropped for alleged unprofessional behaviour. 

    He has now signed for Newcastle on loan until the end of the season with an option to make the deal permanent, becoming Steve Bruce's first signing of the January transfer window.

    "I'm very happy to come back to the Premier League, especially with a club such as Newcastle," Bentaleb told Newcastle's official website.

    "The project really interested me. I wanted absolutely to come back to the Premier League. The coach had some trust in me and the club also – I saw that straight away – and I think it's the perfect move for me."

    Bentaleb made 97 appearances in total for Schalke across three and a half seasons with the club, scoring 19 goals.

    Newcastle are also reportedly in talks with Inter for wide player Valentino Lazaro, while Bruce indicated Jetro Willems' season-ending knee injury may mean they look to bring in a left-back.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.