Montella hails 'extraordinary' Ribery after Fiorentina move

By Sports Desk August 21, 2019

Fiorentina head coach Vincenzo Montella lauded the "extraordinary" Franck Ribery after the former Bayern Munich star joined the Serie A side.

Ribery completed a free transfer to Fiorentina following his departure from Bundesliga champions Bayern – the French veteran reportedly signing a two-year deal.

The 36-year-old enjoyed a trophy-laden 12-year career with Bayern, winning nine Bundesliga titles and the Champions League, and Montella hailed Ribery.

"He is an extraordinary player, he's eager and we believe he can express himself at his levels here," Montella told Sky Sport Italia.

"He had his first training session today, but I was the only other one there, so I put my boots on after many years and had a kick-about."

Fiorentina open their Serie A season at home to Carlo Ancelotti's Scudetto hopefuls Napoli on Saturday.

Asked if Ribery could make his debut on the opening weekend, Montella said: "We'll see over the next few days how he responds to training and he is very determined.

"But we should take it easy. He was a little rusty, as was I."

Fiorentina consultant Joe Barone, who works alongside new president and owner Rocco Commisso, added via Sky Sport Italia: "Choosing Florence is easy! It's the city of art, of love, he already speaks Italian pretty well and his wife loves Florence.

"He was offered a lot of money elsewhere, but he chose Fiorentina for a club that is growing and he saw at the airport how important the fans are in that choice."

"He is training, is very eager and today is a very important moment for Fiorentina," Barone continued.

"It's exciting fans throughout Tuscany and the world, I saw so many people at the airport and hope there will be many more at the stadium tomorrow to celebrate Ribery."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Jadon Sancho set for Borussia Dortmund departure Rumour Has It: Jadon Sancho set for Borussia Dortmund departure

    Jadon Sancho could be about to spark a bidding war.

    The England international is reportedly ready to leave Borussia Dortmund, a development that will have his numerous European suitors on red alert.

    Manchester United have long been linked to Sancho, but could face stiff Premier League competition for his signature.


    TOP STORY – SANCHO SEEKING DORTMUND DEPARTURE

    Jadon Sancho has become unsettled at Borussia Dortmund and wants to leave, according to the Daily Mail.

    The exciting teenage winger is said to have grown dissatisfied with life at Signal Iduna Park after being dropped for a Bundesliga fixture last month for disciplinary reasons.

    Head coach Lucien Favre further tested their relationship when he withdrew the Manchester City product before half-time of the heavy Der Klassiker loss to Bayern Munich.

    News of Sancho's decision to depart will be noted at Old Trafford, but the report claims Manchester United's bitter Premier League rivals Liverpool are also showing strong interest. 

    LaLiga giants Real Madrid appear to be another potential destination for one of the continent's most coveted young stars.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Sancho could be heading in the opposite direction to Leroy Sane. The Daily Mirror says Bayern Munich have reignited their interest in the Germany international, who has been sidelined since the start of the season due to a knee injury.

    - Granit Xhaka is not the only Arsenal midfielder on AC Milan's radar. According to Calciomercato, the Rossoneri are even more eager to land Lucas Torreira, and will make a move in June after failing to prise him away from north London at the end of last season.

    - Chelsea are set for another fight to keep in-form winger Willian as Juventus and Barcelona circle the 31-year-old, the Daily Mirror reports. Frank Lampard wants to keep the Brazilian at Stamford Bridge but Willian's contract is up at the end of the campaign.

    - Manchester City captain David Silva could follow in the footsteps of Andres Iniesta, Fernando Torres and David Villa by seeing out his career in Japan. Spanish television programme El Chiringuito says the 33-year-old is in talks to join Vissel Kobe following the completion of his 10-season spell at the Etihad Stadium.

    - Leicester City and Aston Villa have been linked to Alfredo Morelos but Rangers are in no rush to sell. That is the assurance of the Scottish side's new sporting director Ross Wilson, who "categorically" stated that an annual loss of £11.3million would not impact the club's determination to keep their Colombian striker.

  • Suarez encourages Barcelona to sign new striker Suarez encourages Barcelona to sign new striker

    Luis Suarez welcomed Barcelona's search for a new striker despite the threat it could bring to his starting spot.

    LaLiga leaders Barca have been linked to Lautaro Martinez, Erling Haaland and Carlos Vela as they seek to strengthen Ernesto Valverde's attacking options.

    The club failed to bring Neymar back from Paris Saint-Germain during the close season, leaving the squad light on competition for natural centre-forward Suarez.

    The 32-year-old has scored six goals in eight LaLiga starts this season but knows he will not always be able to perform at the highest level.

    "There will come a time when my age will not allow me to live up to what Barcelona needs to compete," Suarez told Uruguayan publication Ovacion.

    "But as long as I can, as long as I have the strength, giving me competition is much better.

    "That they are looking for or want to bring another number nine is nothing strange, it is the reality of football.

    "It will be better for me and better for the club, because it will feed competition, and it will be better for the future because the club can prepare a player with the help of all the great players at Barcelona."

    Suarez joined Barca from Liverpool in 2014 and is now in his sixth season at Camp Nou.

    The former Ajax forward plans to continue his career until at least the 2022 World Cup, which would be his fourth appearance at the tournament.

    "I hope so," he said. "I am really convinced of that, yes."

    Suarez is part of the Uruguay squad for the upcoming international friendlies against Hungary (November 15) and Argentina (November 18), his first involvement with the national team since the Copa America in June.

  • Clarendon College still unbeaten as daCosta Cup final date with Dinthill looms Clarendon College still unbeaten as daCosta Cup final date with Dinthill looms

    Lenworth Hyde, the coach of defending champions Clarendon College is still on course for being the first man to claim the ISSA/Wata daCosta Cup title on back-to-back occasions both as a player and as a coach.

    Clarendon College are unbeaten this season and that did not look likely to change when they played against a trying McGrath High School in the semi-final on Wednesday at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

    Clarendon, the defending champions and favourites, ended winning 3-0 courtesy of a brace from Sheldon Smart and a beauty from Jalen Larmand.

    Smart got his goals in the 47th and 69th minutes of play while Larmand would score in the 79th to seal the victory.’

    Clarendon College have been known to start quickly this season but were forced to wait until the second half before they would have any joy.

    According to Hyde, neither he nor his team were worried by the resistance put up by the opposition’s pluckiness, saying he knew he would be able to make a difference at half time.

    “We talked in the changing room and we know that sometimes these things happen and it is how you handle it and I think we handled it well,” said the winning coach.

    Situations like the one that faced Clarendon on Wednesday, Hyde explained, required a slightly different outlook on the game.

    “We showed patience and we waited until our chances came. We weren’t flustered. We knew our people and we knew what the result would be,” he said.

    Clarendon College will face a whole different proposition when they play against Dinthill High School in the DaCosta Cup final, but Hyde, again, isn’t too concerned.

    “There isn’t much to work on ahead of the final because we were possessing the ball, we defended well because as you can see this was a clean sheet. That is how the game goes sometimes,” said Hyde.

    “We can score in the first five seconds or we can score in the 93rd minute. That’s how this team is. We coach them that way, to be patient and to wait their turn,” he warned.

    Dinthill joined Clarendon College in the final after a 2-1 surprise win over more highly fancied opposition in Cornwall College.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.