Reading 3-0 Cardiff City: Puscas at the double in routine Royals win

By Sports Desk August 18, 2019

George Puscas marked his first Championship start with a marvellous brace as Reading defeated Cardiff City 3-0 at the Madejski Stadium.

Romania forward Puscas, signed from Inter earlier this month, scored his first goal for the club in the midweek EFL Cup fixture against Wycombe Wanderers and was on target again on Sunday.

Puscas opened the scoring with a fine individual effort, finishing a run from the halfway line by jinking inside Will Vaulks on the right flank and bending his shot past Alex Smithies.

He added a second five minutes before the break by getting in front of his marker to turn home John Swift's centre and Puscas should have had a hat-trick when he slotted wide one-on-one on the counter-attack in the closing stages.

Swift did finish a breakaway goal seven minutes from time and, although Yakou Meite missed a late penalty, Reading's first win of the season sees them climb to 17th, two spots ahead of Cardiff, after three matches.

Related items

  • FIFA president Infantino urges Iran to lift stadium ban on women FIFA president Infantino urges Iran to lift stadium ban on women

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino has called on Iranian authorities to repeal a long-standing ban on women entering football grounds.

    Iranian woman Sahar Khodayari died this month after setting herself on fire while awaiting a court case, following her March arrest for attempting to sneak in disguise into the Azadi Stadium in Tehran.

    She was known as Iran's 'blue girl', reportedly because of the colours of her favourite club, Esteghlal Tehran.

    Amnesty International official Philip Luther described the ban as showing "appalling contempt for women's rights" and encouraged world governing body FIFA to take "urgent action".

    The ban has been in place since 1979 but was lifted for the second leg of the AFC Champions League final between Persepolis and Japanese side Kashima Antlers in November 2018.

    Infantino said: "I am hopeful that the Iranian Federation and the Iranian authorities were receptive to our repeated calls to address this unacceptable situation.

    "I contacted them several times in the recent past and so has the FIFA administration. We have a delegation of FIFA members in Iran at the moment and I am looking forward to hearing good news from them.

    "Our position is clear and firm. Women have to be allowed into football stadiums in Iran.

    "We understand there are steps and processes that need to be taken before this is done in a proper and safe way but now is the moment to change things and FIFA is expecting positive developments starting in the next Iran home match in October."

    Iran, ranked joint 23rd in the world, host Cambodia in World Cup qualifying on October 10.

  • PSG goalkeeper Navas holds no grudges over Real Madrid exit PSG goalkeeper Navas holds no grudges over Real Madrid exit

    Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Keylor Navas insisted he took no special satisfaction from helping to pile the pain on his former club Real Madrid in the Champions League.

    A lacklustre Madrid were soundly beaten 3-0 at Parc des Princes on Wednesday and have now won just two of their opening five matches in all competitions this term.

    Navas, 32, made his second start for PSG after joining the Ligue 1 champions from Madrid in a deadline-day deal that saw Alphonse Areola head in the opposite direction.

    Another former Madrid player, Angel Di Maria, scored twice for the hosts before Thomas Meunier added the final blow in second-half stoppage time.

    "I am very happy because we won, not because we beat Real Madrid," Navas said.

    "My team-mates put in a great effort, gave their best and we won, which is really important for us.

    "I have no resentment towards anyone at Real. I just want to enjoy the moment I have here at my new club. Everyone is very motivated and I will defend my new colours as I did with Madrid.

    "I want to continue writing my story. The one I lived in Madrid was very beautiful. I want to be happy here, enjoy every moment and for my family to be happy, that is the main thing."

    Family, Navas claimed, was the reason he accepted PSG's offer of a four-year contract, and not because he had lost his starting place to Thibaut Courtois.

    The Costa Rica international spent five seasons at the Santiago Bernabeu, winning the Champions League three times.

    "I did not leave Real Madrid because of that," he said, when asked about the rivalry with Courtois.

    "I left because my family and I thought this was the best option for us. I was welcomed as if I had been here for a very long time.

    "The best I can give is to defend these colours to the death, to work hard and to try to win important games."

  • Hoeness outburst leaves 'team player' Neuer tired of Ter Stegen debate Hoeness outburst leaves 'team player' Neuer tired of Ter Stegen debate

    Manuel Neuer moved to protect his relationship with Marc-Andre ter Stegen after Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness admonished the Barcelona goalkeeper.

    Germany captain Neuer and positional rival Ter Stegen were locked in a public exchange in the lead-up to this week's Champions League matches after the latter ended the international break unhappy with being overlooked for a pair Euro 2020 qualifiers.

    Neuer, 33, suggested his international team-mate was putting himself before the team, criticism which Ter Stegen described as "inappropriate".

    The tension seemed to be easing until Hoeness hit out at Ter Stegen following Bayern's routine 3-0 Champions League win over Red Star Belgrade on Wednesday.

    Hoeness accused sections of the German media of treating the 27-year-old as if he had won the World Cup "17 times" and insisted Neuer was the "much better" goalkeeper.

    Though appreciative of his president's backing, Neuer refrained from adding to the sense of disharmony.

    "It's always good to have some people support you in general," the Bayern skipper said when asked about Hoeness' comments.

    "I basically said one thing about it because I got asked after a game.

    "I don't want to have a debate and talk about who can do what better than the other. We are a team and I am a team player. We know that we have four good goalkeepers who play together and do everything for Germany.

    "So, I don't want to talk about it anymore."

    Hoeness' tirade involved a shot at the German Football Association for a perceived failure to adequately support Bayern players.

    Earlier this year, Germany boss Joachim Low made the sudden decision to move forward without 2014 World Cup winners Thomas Muller, Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels, who has since moved to Borussia Dortmund.

    Neuer remains firmly in Low's plans and recently won his 90th cap international cap, 68 more than Barca star Ter Stegen.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.