Borja Iglesias leaves Espanyol for Real Betis in €28.14m deal

By Sports Desk August 14, 2019

Real Betis have signed Borja Iglesias from Espanyol after paying his €28.14m release clause.

The striker spent a single season in Barcelona after joining from Real Zaragoza last year, scoring 17 LaLiga goals and a further six in cup competitions as they finished seventh in the table.

Espanyol head coach Rubi was subsequently appointed by Betis as the successor to the sacked Quique Setien and he has brought the 26-year-old Iglesias to Seville on a five-year deal.

The arrival of the former Celta Vigo forward was announced by Betis on social media with a video referencing his unusual nickname - Panda.

"From the first day he arrived, Borja Iglesias has had exemplary attitude and behaviour," Espanyol said in a statement.

"Espanyol wishes to thank the player for his application, professionalism and commitment in white-and-blue colours and wishes him luck in his future."

Iglesias struck the opening goal in nine LaLiga matches last season, the joint-most of anyone in the division, level with Girona's Cristhian Stuani.

He is the fifth new signing for Betis ahead of the 2019-20 campaign, joining players including former Lyon captain Nabil Fekir, although Giovani Lo Celso has left for Tottenham.

Related items

  • Bale challenged 'to show how good he is' by Real Madrid boss Zidane Bale challenged 'to show how good he is' by Real Madrid boss Zidane

    Zinedine Zidane wants Gareth Bale to repeat the performance he showed against Celta Vigo and prove he is good enough to stay at Real Madrid in the long term.

    Head coach Zidane claimed in July it would be better for all concerned if Wales star Bale were to leave the club, but a move to Jiangsu Suning in the Chinese Super League collapsed.

    With no other options for an exit materialising, Bale was a surprise starter in the LaLiga opener against Celta and responded with an excellent display, setting up Karim Benzema for the opening goal of the 3-1 victory.

    Madrid boss Zidane confirmed after the game that Bale would be staying at the club, and he now wants the former Tottenham man to perform consistently to the standard he hit at Balaidos.

    "It was a good game by Gareth," Zidane said on Friday ahead of Madrid's meeting with Real Valladolid. "He worked hard defensively. We want to continue playing this way.

    "We need to improve to achieve good things this season. These are talented footballers who want to play, and I want all my players to play a part.

    "What we want from the players is that they want to remain at the club, want to be here. A lot of things were said but now he wants to stay, we want him to play a part. He' s an important player, he's proven that in the past and he has to do that again, to show just how good he is."

    Zidane has similarly challenged James Rodriguez to impress, the Colombia playmaker another to find himself surprisingly back in the Madrid first-team picture as prospective moves to Atletico Madrid and Napoli have failed to materialise.

    "We're happy to have James back here at the club," Zidane said. "Let's see how things progress going forward. He's happy to be here. There are lots of games coming up and all the players are going to have a role to play."

    When asked if James could replace the suspended Luka Modric against Valladolid, Zidane replied: "We'll see. We choose 11 and three players could come in. And we have 24."

  • Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay

    Alexis Sanchez is not certain to leave Manchester United even though there are ongoing transfer talks with interested clubs, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Chile forward Sanchez was not in the matchday squad for United's first two Premier League games of the season with Chelsea and Wolves, having not taken part in any pre-season fixtures following his efforts at the Copa America.

    The 30-year-old has been heavily linked with Inter, who have already signed Romelu Lukaku from United in this transfer window and are said to be interested in a loan deal.

    It is claimed Sanchez's wage demands are proving a problem for the Nerazzurri, though, with Italy's transfer deadline just 10 days away.

    Solskjaer appears unsure of what will happen with Sanchez, but he was pleased with his efforts in a behind-closed-doors friendly match against Sheffield United this week and does not seem desperate to see the player go.

    "There's still talks with some clubs, but he played in that game and played well," Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday. "So, as I've said, he's working hard and let's see in September what's going to happen."

    Lukaku caused a stir this week when a podcast apparently recorded while he was still a United player was published, in which the striker accused United of effectively nudging him out of the club by failing to protect him from public criticism and transfer speculation.

    Solskjaer refused to become embroiled in the matter, saying: "I'm not going to dive into that one. That interview was made before the summer, wasn't it? When he was a Man United player? So, I think I'd rather not."

    United host Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Saturday after taking four points from their first two league matches of the season at home to Chelsea and away to Wolves.

    Solskjaer has been encouraged by the fitness displayed in those performances, having been concerned by the way his players allowed their intensity to drop in matches towards the end of last season.

    "The team spirt is great, we've got loads of energy and passion. You can see that with the way we went about the game with Wolverhampton," he said.

    "I thought our pressing was excellent. We gave them five minutes in the second half and that was it, really, when they had the ball and pushed us back but, apart from that, the engine looks so much better.

    "Everyone's fit and when you're physically fit it's easier to be mentally strong as well.

    "[Palace] are a very organised team. They've got pace up front for counter-attacks, strong on set-pieces, so, of course, we know we have to do all parts of the game.

    "We have to attack well, we have to win the ball back when we're losing it and we've got to be strong on set plays."

    Solskjaer also confirmed that full-back Diogo Dalot is likely to be out of action until after the international break next month due to injury.

  • Mexican star Lozano completes transfer to Napoli Mexican star Lozano completes transfer to Napoli

    Napoli have completed the signing of Mexico forward Hirving Lozano from PSV in a deal reportedly worth €40million.

    Lozano spent two seasons in the Eredivisie, scoring 34 league goals for PSV across the two campaigns, and impressed in the Champions League last term.

    The 24-year-old winger also starred for Mexico at the 2018 World Cup, scoring a memorable goal in a 1-0 win over Germany in the group stage.

    Lozano, who had also been linked with Manchester United, has now swapped the Eredivisie for Serie A, with Napoli reportedly paying a club-record transfer fee reported to be €38m plus bonuses.

    Prior to the club's official announcement on Friday, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis had shared a photo of Lozano signing his contract on his official Twitter account.

    Napoli kick off their Serie A campaign against Fiorentina on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.