Monaco sign Ben Yedder as Lopes moves to Sevilla

By Sports Desk August 14, 2019

Monaco have signed striker Wissam Ben Yedder from Sevilla on a five-year contract and sent Rony Lopes in the opposite direction.

The Ligue 1 side are said to have activated Ben Yedder's reported €40million buyout clause to reinforce Leonardo Jardim's squad.

But they have reportedly recouped €20m in a separate deal that sees Lopes head for Andalusia, where he has signed for five years.

The Portugal winger only agreed fresh terms with Monaco in December and started the club's season-opening 3-0 loss to Lyon on Friday.

Monaco will hope the twin transfer moves can improve their fortunes after narrowly avoiding relegation last term.

Ben Yedder, 29, is a proven goalscorer, having notched 18 times in the last of his three LaLiga campaigns at Sevilla.

The France international famously struck a brace to knock Manchester United out of the Champions League in 2018 and was linked with a move to Old Trafford earlier this year.

"I chose Monaco because I believe in this project and I am determined to do everything possible to go after our common ambitions," Ben Yedder said. 

"I come with the intention to prove, as always, my qualities and with the desire to reach a new level. 

"I want to thank the club for the trust it gives me. It's a beautiful day and the beginning of a new story that I cannot wait to start."

Ben Yedder previously made his name in a successful spell at Toulouse.

Former Manchester City man Lopes, meanwhile, will get the chance to replace Pablo Sarabia at Sevilla following the attacker's close-season move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Related items

  • Giroud willing to consider tough call on Chelsea future Giroud willing to consider tough call on Chelsea future

    Olivier Giroud is prepared to leave Chelsea if "forced" to make a decision on his future.

    The experienced centre-forward scored for the second time in four days as France drew 1-1 with Turkey in Euro 2020 qualifying on Monday.

    World Cup winner Giroud continues to serve his country well but chances have been less forthcoming at club level with Tammy Abraham the preferred striker at Stamford Bridge.

    Frank Lampard has granted the former Arsenal front man two substitute appearances and a solitary start in eight Premier League games this season.

    "I cannot be satisfied with what I have at Chelsea," Giroud told reporters in Paris, while adding he did "not necessarily" want to leave.

    "I have some beautiful years in front of me. I'm 33 but I still have legs. I have a profile, I think, that will allow me to play football for a few more years.

    "I feel good physically, I have a healthy lifestyle. I want to play more games.

    "The priority is to stay at Chelsea but, if I'm forced to make a choice, I'll do it like when I left Arsenal."

    Giroud moved across London in January 2018 and helped the Blues win the Europa League last season.

    "I will fight for my place at Chelsea," he said.

    "The coach knows it. We will assess things in January."

    Giroud's goal off the bench against Turkey gave France a 76th-minute lead but Kaan Ayhan responded to earn the visitors a point.

    Les Bleus remain second in Group H, four points ahead of third-placed Iceland with two games to play.

  • Rumour Has It: Cavani wants Juventus move Rumour Has It: Cavani wants Juventus move

    With Edinson Cavani's contract set to expire, a move away from the French capital has been mooted.

    The Paris Saint-Germain veteran has been linked to David Beckham's incoming MLS expansion franchise Inter Miami.

    However, Cavani reportedly wants a return to Serie A and the titleholders stand out.

     

    TOP STORY – CAVANI EYES JUVE SWITCH

    Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani wants to join Serie A champions Juventus, according to Calciomercato.

    Cavani – who has become PSG's all-time leading goalscorer since arriving from Napoli in 2013 – is out of contract at season's end.

    With limited progress on a renewal, the 32-year-old's representatives have reportedly reached out to Juve over a return to Italy.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - According to Sky Sport in Germany, Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng is eyeing a move to Serie A or LaLiga. The 31-year-old was linked with PSG during the last transfer window.

    - Former France and PSG head coach Laurent Blanc is keen on a job in the Premier League, reports in France say. Blanc was linked to the Lyon vacancy but the Ligue 1 strugglers have opted for ex-Marseille boss Rudi Garcia.

    - Passione Inter claims Crystal Palace are looking to sign Gabriel 'Gabigol' Barbosa. The 23-year-old Brazilian is starring on loan at Flamengo, having struggled to establish himself with Inter.

    Inter and AC Milan are both interested in Arsenal outcast Mesut Ozil, Calciomercato says.

    - Calciomercato reports Manchester United are competing with Milan for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.

  • Paratici rules out Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Juventus Paratici rules out Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Juventus

    Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici insisted superstar Cristiano Ronaldo will not be leaving the Serie A champions anytime soon.

    Ronaldo is contracted to Juve until 2022 following his blockbuster €112million transfer from Real Madrid last season, however, there have been rumours that the five-time Ballon d'Or winner could leave Turin.

    The 34-year-old scored 21 Serie A goals and 28 across all competitions last term, while he has four goals in 2019-20.

    Asked about Ronaldo – who scored his 700th competitive goal in Portugal's 2-1 Euro 2020 qualifying defeat to Ukraine on Monday – Paratici dismissed the possibility of the veteran forward leaving Juventus before his contract expires.

    "He is very focused on his current objectives, I do not believe in the slightest that he will leave at the end of the season or later," Paratici said.

    "He is under contract: we are very happy with him and he is happy at Juventus."

    Juve – seeking their ninth successive Scudetto – have been linked to Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.

    However, Juve have no plans to invest in January following the off-season arrivals of Matthijs de Ligt, Aaron Ramsey, Adrien Rabiot, Danilo and Merih Demiral.

    "We will not make moves in January," Paratici said. "The roster is complete and it is one of the best in Europe."

    While there might not be any new signings forthcoming, January could see a number of departures at the Italian champions.

    Mario Mandzukic is yet to feature for Juve this season and has been heavily linked to Premier League giants Manchester United.

    "We decided to give him a moment of peace because there was the chance he would be moving to Qatar, which then did not materialize," Paratici said. "Now we will decide together what the best solution will be in January."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.