It feels like Madrid was just the beginning - Origi hungry for more at Liverpool

By Sports Desk August 12, 2019

Divock Origi is confident he still has more to offer Liverpool, having been boosted by a new contract following his Champions League heroics last season.

Belgium striker Origi started the last campaign on the fringes of the first team at Anfield but made crucial contributions to the team's success in 2018-19.

After Premier League winners against Everton and Newcastle United, Origi scored twice to down Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals and then netted in the final against Tottenham in Madrid.

Rewarded with a new long-term contract last month, the forward carried his form into the new season by scoring in the Premier League opener against Norwich City.

Origi hopes he can continue to improve, with Liverpool eager for more success.

"For me, the contract was a logical and good decision," he told The Athletic. "The club always showed faith. We had some good conversations and everything just clicked, so it was very easy.

"You have to listen to your instinct. I felt appreciated and I felt like I could make further steps at this club. I still have a lot to give and to show here.

"This is such a young, talented group and it feels like Madrid was just the beginning. We are hungry for more. I saw that hunger from the moment I returned in July."

Origi's strike against Spurs gave him a place in Liverpool history, yet he does not plan to reflect on his status until retirement.

"The respect of the fans is always nice to have," he said. "I am humbled that they have such a place in their hearts for me.

"To be part of the history of a club like Liverpool is something to be proud of and something I always wanted. I always saw myself playing for a big team in the Premier League and being important there.

"After my career, I'll be able to sit back and enjoy what I've achieved. But for now it's about performing more and more."

Origi acknowledges he is still adjusting to Liverpool's tactical demands, but he feels he has grown as a player since arriving at the club.

"I think I'm a different player now compared to when I first signed," he said. "I feel like I've grown more mentally, personally and on the pitch.

"The team has evolved in terms of the way we play and now I understand the tactics part of the game better - how to press, how to choose my moments, when to express my creativity and when to play it simple.

"I have a lot of aspects to my game but I need to synchronise them with the game of Liverpool. I study the game better now. Being able to play in different positions up front has been very important to me."

Related items

  • Coman suffers no serious knee damage Coman suffers no serious knee damage

    Bayern Munich will be without Kingsley Coman until after the Bundesliga's mid-season break, but the winger suffered no serious damage after sustaining a knee injury against Tottenham.

    Coman, who had opened the scoring, went off early in the Champions League encounter at Allianz Arena after appearing to suffer a hyperextension of his left knee while attempting to chase down an errant pass.

    Bayern then said Coman had suffered a "capsule tear in the left knee" but a further update from the club on Thursday delivered a more positive update.

    The France international is expected to be fit enough to return to action next month, says the club's chief medical officer Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt.

    "Naturally, we were all extremely worried at first. But Kingsley is very lucky," Muller-Wohlfahrt told the club's official website.

    "Our tests have shown that he will only miss the next three games and will be back in time to join mid-season training in Doha."

    Coman has endured terrible injury problems during his young career, missing three months of action at the start of the season due to ankle ligament damage sustained on the opening weekend.

    The attacker previously signalled he would consider early retirement if his injury issues persisted, torn knee ligaments and serious ankle problems having marred his 2016-17 season.

    "It was a very difficult year," Coman told TF1. "When I hurt myself, it was the end of the world for me.

    "I hope I don't have to relive what I've been through, enough is enough. I will not accept a third operation – it will mean maybe my foot is not made for this level. I will then lead another life, an anonymous life."

  • Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal

    Chelsea have announced Fikayo Tomori has signed a new long-term contract, with the young defender committing his future to the club through to 2024.

    Tomori is one of the players to have earned the trust of Frank Lampard this season, having shone for the Chelsea boss when on loan at Derby County last season.

    The 21-year-old centre-back has started 11 Premier League games and made his England debut in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo last month.

    Though Chelsea are reportedly set to spend in January having had their transfer ban reduced on appeal, Tomori has been rewarded for his fine form with a new deal.

    "It's obviously a very proud moment for myself and my family. I've been at the club since I was seven years old so I don't really know much else other than Chelsea," Tomori told the club's official website.

    "The club has been so good to me, looking after and developing me during that time into the player and the person I am today. 

    "It's a dream come true to sign a new five-year contract. I'm really happy the club have shown this faith in me and I'm just excited to carry on."

    Tomori is the latest Chelsea academy product to sign new terms this year, following team-mates Mason Mount and Callum Hudson-Odoi, who have also broken into the senior England squad.

    "We are very happy to see another fantastic young player come through from our academy into the senior team," said Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia. 

    "Fikayo has been with us since he was seven years old and has contributed to many Chelsea successes at youth level.

    "Having enjoyed an impressive loan spell at Derby last season, Fikayo had a strong start to this campaign and we are enjoying seeing him grow into a key player for us. We are delighted he has committed to the club for the coming years."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal BREAKING NEWS: Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal
    Chelsea have announced Fikayo Tomori has signed a new long-term contract, with the young defender committing his future to the club through to 2024.
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.